First 5k, Trained on Treadmill - Any tips?

Hi Everyone! I'm very excited to be running my first 5k this Saturday :) I've trained exclusively on the treadmill from February till now because it's been brutally cold this winter/early spring. I'm not anticipating that I'll be running the whole thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what to expect or how to adjust? Should I try to run outdoors this week to prepare, or is it too late for that to make a difference?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I would suggest running outside this week, so you at least know how it will feel. It's a whole other ballgame compared to the treadmill.

That said, it's your first race, so just go and have fun! Do your best and don't worry too much about your finish time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I would suggest running outside this week, so you at least know how it will feel. It's a whole other ballgame compared to the treadmill.

That said, it's your first race, so just go and have fun! Do your best and don't worry too much about your finish time.

This.

And check out this topic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

My own advice to add - have fun and thank the volunteers.

(edited to fix the link so it didn't highlight my search terms)
  • Amy_Andrews
    Amy_Andrews Posts: 106
    I think you should do a light run outside, just to see how you react to wind and terrain and how to adjust your speed (be cautious no to start too fast!). However don't run too much this week. Rest your body a bit before the big race!

Have fun and good luck :)
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    You will be fine. If you have logged the miles the race will be fun and easy. Most people do better on race day just due to the anticipation and adrenaline of really just being out there. Most people also find that it's harder to run on a treadmill and that the road feels much easier.

I am one of those. If I do a 7 mile run on the TM it's brutal. If I hit the road, 7 miles goes by quick and easy. Races are always easier than the training.

Remember.. have fun!!
  • kellydthames
    kellydthames Posts: 1 Member
    Definitely run outside this week, even doing it once will help you adjust to breathing outside, which is different.

I agree with LoraF83, don't worry about your time. Keep a nice steady pace. I will often find another runner going at the pace that you feel comfortable with and run behind her/him.

Most of all, have fun!!!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    The hardest part of training on the treadmill and then running outside for me is pacing. I tend to run faster outside than I do on the treadmill (recently sped up the treadmill to counter that) so I tend to burn out faster. Just start off at a relaxed pace and disregard how fast anyone else goes.
  • rniemiec
    rniemiec Posts: 3 Member
    Hi there! Congrats and good luck to you on your first 5K run! I also have a 5K run coming up begining of June that I have been training for primarily on the treadmill. I have luckily been able to get out a couple of time for an outside run and think that it is much harder (I am sure there will be many debates here with this being said). I feel on the treadmill I can run 3.1 without much "effort." I just turn the treadmill on, put it on 6 miles an hour, and keep my legs moving! Outside there are so many factors that make it seem more difficult (wind, hills, gravel on the road, etc.). Have you played around with any incline on the treadmill? Is your 5K run a "street run" or a trail run? I am not sure what advice I can give you at this point seeing as it has been a couple of years since I last ran a 5K myself. I would imagine the day of your 5K you will be so pumped and excited. Plus seeing all the other runners will keep you moving. Good luck! Can't wait to see what others post for advice!
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    If it's a big race at an area you are unfamiliar with, bring a cell phone. I've had people run at Disney etc and get lost easily. Nothing like running a 5k and then walking for another 2 hours getting bad directions trying to find your shuttle lol. Also, if you do bring it, bring a ziploc and put it in it. My last 5k, it was a beautiful day and by the time my wave was up to start, it looked awful and in the first 30 seconds of running it started raining heavily. It rained so hard people's contacts were coming out and you couldn't see a foot in front of you. So be prepared for all weather conditions as well. Don't bring a water bottle because they have cups to hand out. Start slow and pace yourself. No heavy foods the night before.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member

This.

And check out this topic
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

My own advice to add - have fun and thank the volunteers.

(edited to fix the link so it didn't highlight my search terms)
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    i'd take at least one jog outside, so you know what to expect. It's different than running on a treadmill
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Thank you everyone, all this advice is great. I think I will try to run outside today or tomorrow. I walked the same race last year so I'm SUPER pumped to be running this year, even if it isn't for the whole race. Progress :):)
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    The hardest part of training on the treadmill and then running outside for me is pacing. I tend to run faster outside than I do on the treadmill (recently sped up the treadmill to counter that) so I tend to burn out faster. Just start off at a relaxed pace and disregard how fast anyone else goes.

This is the same problem I have as well! I train on my treadmill and when I go to a race, I start off too fast and burn myself out right away! Good luck and have fun with it!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    treadmill running is way easy compared to treadmill, i repeat what everyone else says
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member

Yes, yes, yes. Totally agree. Especially in a large race you will be tempted to go out way too fast.

In general I find running outside nicer because all the visual distractions make the time fly by.

Good luck and congrats!
  • I trained for my first 5k almost entirely on a treadmill and I honestly didn't notice much difference except the weather. It was cold and rainy outside. Even now I switch between outside and treadmill depending on the weather and I don't notice a difference in how my body reacts, just the pacing is different.
    Definitely make sure you don't start too fast though. I've done that a few times and I can really feel it later in the run. If you run with music, choose a song to start your playlist that will help you set a slower pace. Or if you are running a big race, like thousands of participants, you may have to start slow anyway just to accomodate for the crowd at the start.
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    treadmill running is way easy compared to treadmill, i repeat what everyone else says

Hmm, hard to know what you are saying here?
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    I agree with others who say just go out, do your best and have fun! I find treadmill and road running to be extremely different, but as to which is easier/harder - that depends on the person. I run much better on the road b/c that's where I have always trained. My friend has always run on a treadmill so that's easier for her. I can run a half marathon on the road easily (well relative - certainly not "easy"). I find I want to punch someone after running four on a treadmill - just not my thing.

I also agree about knowing your body and your pace - it is incredibly easy to be swept up in the excitment. It sounds like you have a plan, you know the course - you can definitely do it!!
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Treadmill running works the muscles a little differently than running on a road or trail. So be careful! Listen to your body. You can use this run to figure what's a good outdoor pace for you and work to get faster from there.

I ran on the treadmill almost exclusively b/c 1) I liked to easily see my pace 2) I live in a colder climate. The first time I ran outside my butt hurt so bad. So bad. I think the difference was that I had to propel my body forward, instead of just lifting feet on the treadmill belt. It definitely gave my butt muscles a workout. Now I'm trying running a trail-- and guess what-- my ankles hurt. I think that's from having to try to balance and support yourself on an uneven surface or hill. The pronation, which I was definitely not used to from running on sidewalk and treadmill, really hurt the foot. Moral of the story: Running outside is different, so take it easy to see how your body reacts to it!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Hi Everyone! I'm very excited to be running my first 5k this Saturday :) I've trained exclusively on the treadmill from February till now because it's been brutally cold this winter/early spring. I'm not anticipating that I'll be running the whole thing, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on what to expect or how to adjust? Should I try to run outdoors this week to prepare, or is it too late for that to make a difference?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!!

i would go out for a quick run outside just to get the feel for it. don't get discouraged if you can't run at the same speed you run on a treadmill or if you get winded sooner than normal. treadmill running is different from outdoor running, your breathing is somewhat different, your excursion is different. you get a little bit of help moving forward on a treadmill while outside it's all you. make sure you check the weather.

don't start too fast. don't try to keep up with everyone. go at your own pace. enjoy it and have fun. it's your first and hopefully not your last.
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Thanks again for all the responses. I just looked up my chip time and I finished in 31:54 on Saturday. I did SO much better than I thought I would, and I can't WAIT to sign up for more races!!!