First 5k, Trained on Treadmill - Any tips?

2»

Replies

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,374 Member
    Thanks again for all the responses. I just looked up my chip time and I finished in 31:54 on Saturday. I did SO much better than I thought I would, and I can't WAIT to sign up for more races!!!

That is a great first time! WTG!!!

The feeling of finishing gets way addicting!!!
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    31:54 for your first 5k. Thats pretty sweet. Congrads. Do you keep a running journal? It is nice to look back over the years to see how you did in your races. If you are like me you will find you end up doing the sames races every year. Congrads again.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Nicely done!:) How did the run compare to the treadmill in your opinion?
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    That is AWESOME!!! I'm still on the treadmill ... I hope to one day do what you just did!

CONGRATS!!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Nice job! Hope you get addicting to racing. It's a blast!!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Good work! I'd definitely try to get outside for at least 2 miles. And if possible, do some of the actual route you'll be running for the official race to get a feel for the terrain. Outside is much different than treadmill. Not to say that outside is necessarily tougher (I go faster outside by at least a minute a mile), but just different with the variance in height, slant on the roads, etc.

Try to start off with a slower pace (to the point where you probably feel like you're going a bit slow) for the first half mile. After that, you can gradually start upping your pace.

Best of luck - my first road race was a blast, even though I was slow as molasses. It's an accomplishment that many never do. please post how you do!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Thanks again for all the responses. I just looked up my chip time and I finished in 31:54 on Saturday. I did SO much better than I thought I would, and I can't WAIT to sign up for more races!!!

That is an awesome time!! Congrats:)
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member

WTG! What's next? Maybe a 10K?
  • natmckn
    natmckn Posts: 48 Member
    Nicely done!:) How did the run compare to the treadmill in your opinion?

thank you everyone!!! To answer your question: my calves were BURNING. I definitely didn't hydrate enough the night before, either because I was way dehydrated the rest of the day. On top of that I misread the "end of mile 2" sign for "start of mile 2" - so I thought I still had two more miles to go when I only had one! I really thought I was a goner at that point but only a few minutes later the finish line was in my sights and I just booked it! I really can't wait to do more and sincerely appreciate all of the feedback and advice. it really helped prepare me!
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Congrats, that's a great time for your first 5K!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Congrats! I'm planning to do my first one this spring and your positive attitude is an inspiration :)