Office food at a new job

Options

Replies

• bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    I will toss my hat in the "just eat what they serve" ring.

1) Its free eats
    2) If you are new you may want to do your best to blend in and not become the guy who is too good to eat with us.

I work in construction and I rarely if ever drink and I know that it has cost me jobs because I don't have the face time with the boss at the tavern like everyone else.

If he really does not want to eat the offerings then maybe do the ole, push it around the plate, cover with napkin and toss routine like you did when you were a kid with your broccoli.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I understand the peer pressure here, but it really isnt on!!
    I would "invent" a food allergy - say that you can't eat such and such as it makes you feel ill. Then take in your own stuff and eat along with your colleagues. I did this successfully for three months away on a legal course where every meal was corporate catering and my "allergy" prevented me from eating carbs and fats. After a few "oohs and ahhs" everyone forgot about it and saved me all the salads!.
    good luck to him.!

And if his grown up colleagues found out that he would rather lie to them about allergies instead of manning up and just saying he'd rather bring his own lunch...

well, that would reflect wonderfully on his integrity.

Yeah I definitely don't think lying is the way to go...I 100% agree with the person who said this is really an etiquette issue. I'm sure pretty soon, he'll realize if it's cool for him to bring his own stuff to lunch or suggest that they order from somewhere with healthier options. Assuming this is more of a "career" than just a "job," it's important to foster relationships and professional friendships, which won't happen if people perceive him as rude.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Office food is challenging. He might take a small portion of what they are catering or use his chili as a conversation starter. He could tell them what a great cook you are and how you like to make him lunches, or about the great new recipe he just cooked for his girlfriend last night :)
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    My thought is that if they're having Popeye's; own lunch should be fine. If it's truly catered and formal with a client, make wise choices from what's being served. Also, it's entirely appropriate for him to ask his HR contact or the person who hired him what protocol is and how to know which days a packed lunch is ok and which days it isn't. HR people should absolutely be able to help him navigate this issue successfully, and will likely appreciate the fact that he is savvy enough to know that there are etiquette norms, and humble enough realize he's still learning what they are in his new environment. The worst mistake a person can make at a new job is assuming and not clarifying.

Yeah. What to eat for lunch is definitely an HR issue. "Today in new employee orientation we'll be discussing the 401K package as well as what days you need to eat chicken and what days you are allowed to eat what mommy packed for you."

Whatever we do let's not encourage people to learn for themselves how to function in the grownup world.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a vegetarian I always bring my own lunch from home to the conference room where everyone else is eating catered.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them. You don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.

The issue is it's poor workplace etiquette. This is not just a bunch of coworkers eating lunch together. When CEO level people and especially when clients are involved it's just not the proper thing to do. The proper way to handle if you really don't want to eat any of the catered food is to eat your own before or after the group lunch and have a beverage and socialize with people during the meeting.

If it's a small company and you get the vibe that the CEO is friendly enough that it's considered a social lunch among co-workers even when he/she's present than after a while it's probably fine to bring your own food to those lunches, but if you value your career don't walk into a client lunch meeting with your own food.

My boyfriend works very closely with the CEO of the company he works for. They are both health nuts and he is always telling me about the lunches they bring while the other employees eat the "catered" lunch. What if they brought in big trays of pasta and you were a celiac and couldn't eat anything? Should you eat it anyways and possibly die later, just to kiss the CEO's bum?
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Many companies are developing Wellness Programs. I know mine has one but you can't tell it by the food that is catered for any employee gathering. To help me get through those peer pressure situations, I find out who the Wellness Committee member is and sit near them (we have one that comes up from HQ and she eats so healthy that nobody would notice if I ate nothing but air).

Nevertheless, sometimes I still fall into the trap. Last week, I brought my lunch (a good lunch I was looking forward to), and ate it slightly before our regular time. My boss then announces that we have "appreciation pizza" in the conference room. I got a big glass of water and was determined to just hang out and enjoy the networking time with my peers, but ended up having two pieces of hamburger pizza anyway. I felt good about the face time with the bosses but later felt crappy about overeating. There were no reps from the Wellness Committee in that room at all --- although our division committee member is the one who ordered the pizza lol.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the issue of pulling out his container of homemade chill and eating with them. He can still eat and socialize with them. You don't have to eat the same food to bond. Its kind of an ideal situation, they aren't going to restaurants every day where he wouldn't be able to bring his own lunch and have a hard time making better choices.

The issue is it's poor workplace etiquette. This is not just a bunch of coworkers eating lunch together. When CEO level people and especially when clients are involved it's just not the proper thing to do. The proper way to handle if you really don't want to eat any of the catered food is to eat your own before or after the group lunch and have a beverage and socialize with people during the meeting.

If it's a small company and you get the vibe that the CEO is friendly enough that it's considered a social lunch among co-workers even when he/she's present than after a while it's probably fine to bring your own food to those lunches, but if you value your career don't walk into a client lunch meeting with your own food.

My boyfriend works very closely with the CEO of the company he works for. They are both health nuts and he is always telling me about the lunches they bring while the other employees eat the "catered" lunch. What if they brought in big trays of pasta and you were a celiac and couldn't eat anything? Should you eat it anyways and possibly die later, just to kiss the CEO's bum?

If it's a real health issue, obviously not. And I don't even think you should eat something you don't want to if you know that you won't be offending anyone by eating something different. However, I think you need to take some time to assess whether this would be the case before just assuming that people don't care. It sounds like your husband knows the CEO of his company really well, which is very different than the situation here.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    So far there are four viable choices:
    1. Become vegetarian
    2. Become celiac
    3. Get fat
    4. Quit the rat race and get back his old job at the roller rink
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    With coworkers, I think I'd kind of ease into it by bringing something from home plus having a serving of something communal. I could always say something like "I didn't want it to go to waste" if somebody said something about me pulling out my own {whatever}. If it seemed to offend, of course I'd just go with the flow; a good job can be hard to find.

For client lunches of course I'd go with the flow.
  • bill323
    bill323 Posts: 100
    Options
    So far there are four viable choices:
    1. Become vegetarian
    2. Become celiac
    3. Get fat
    4. Quit the rat race and get back his old job at the roller rink

buhahaha.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Not sure...what did his mom's friends answer when she asked for him at the beauty parlor?

Bahahahahaha! Best answer on the forums today! :laugh:
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    From a management perspective, I would have much more respect for someone who discreetly brought their own lunch and didn't make a big deal out of it, than for someone who doesn't want to eat what everyone else is eating because it is unhealthy, but eats it anyway to fit in. The latter doesn't engender a great deal of confidence in his ability to lead or to make tough decisions.

If anyone asks, he can explain simply that he brought his own lunch but still wanted to enjoy their company.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My thought is that if they're having Popeye's; own lunch should be fine. If it's truly catered and formal with a client, make wise choices from what's being served. Also, it's entirely appropriate for him to ask his HR contact or the person who hired him what protocol is and how to know which days a packed lunch is ok and which days it isn't. HR people should absolutely be able to help him navigate this issue successfully, and will likely appreciate the fact that he is savvy enough to know that there are etiquette norms, and humble enough realize he's still learning what they are in his new environment. The worst mistake a person can make at a new job is assuming and not clarifying.

Yeah. What to eat for lunch is definitely an HR issue. "Today in new employee orientation we'll be discussing the 401K package as well as what days you need to eat chicken and what days you are allowed to eat what mommy packed for you."

Whatever we do let's not encourage people to learn for themselves how to function in the grownup world.

Asking questions IS how you learn, and I'd rather ask a dumb question to the person who hired me and whom I already have had contact with than make a faux pas in front of the CEO! It's fine that you disagree with me, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting... How is not asking going to teach him anything? If this is his first "grown-up" job, his hiring contact is aware of this and would likely not mind helping him be successful. Seeking out advice from experienced individuals is wisdom, not weakness.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    With coworkers, I think I'd kind of ease into it by bringing something from home plus having a serving of something communal. I could always say something like "I didn't want it to go to waist" if somebody said something about me pulling out my own {whatever}. If it seemed to offend, of course I'd just go with the flow; a good job can be hard to find.

For client lunches of course I'd go with the flow.

Fixed it for you.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options

Asking questions IS how you learn, and I'd rather ask a dumb question to the person who hired me and whom I already have had contact with than make a faux pas in front of the CEO! It's fine that you disagree with me, but I'm not sure what you're suggesting... How is not asking going to teach him anything? If this is his first "grown-up" job, his hiring contact is aware of this and would likely not mind helping him be successful. Seeking out advice from experienced individuals is wisdom, not weakness.

Yeah. I guess your right. Most companies have a formal written policy about when you eat what someone else brings and when you get to eat your PB&J.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks All. The CEO has been in the office the past two days, not clients. I was a little suprised at the Popeyes choice, but I guess that's what the boss wanted. We generally eat pretty healthy food, everything in moderation is fine. Lunch seems to be a very social time for his office, not sure if it's always like that or more when food is brought in. It's just going to take some time to figure out the office etiquette and get comfortable with his coworkers. He's got healthy snacks and he's not going to eat anything that he doesn't want to.
  • just_fur_luck
    Options
    Thanks All. The CEO has been in the office the past two days, not clients. I was a little suprised at the Popeyes choice, but I guess that's what the boss wanted. We generally eat pretty healthy food, everything in moderation is fine. Lunch seems to be a very social time for his office, not sure if it's always like that or more when food is brought in. It's just going to take some time to figure out the office etiquette and get comfortable with his coworkers. He's got healthy snacks and he's not going to eat anything that he doesn't want to.

Maybe you could call the boss and let them know that you're packing healthy nutritious food in his lunch kit and you would really rather he eat what you provide.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Yeah. I guess your right. Most companies have a formal written policy about when you eat what someone else brings and when you get to eat your PB&J.

This is obviously not a "policy" question, but an office etiquette question. When you get your first grownup job, you'll understand why he would benefit from more information beyond "formal written policy".
  • just_fur_luck
    Options

This is obviously not a "policy" question, but an office etiquette question. When you get your first grownup job, you'll understand why he would benefit from more information beyond "formal written policy".

Yeah. Maybe he could ask HR on which side of his desk he should put the picture of his mom also.