Office food at a new job

Options

Replies

• ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I guess your right. Most companies have a formal written policy about when you eat what someone else brings and when you get to eat your PB&J.

This is obviously not a "policy" question, but an office etiquette question. When you get your first grownup job, you'll understand why he would benefit from more information beyond "formal written policy".

Yeah. Maybe he could ask HR on which side of his desk he should put the picture of his mom also.

It seems that you are anti-question-asking; however, you are also displaying antagonism that would not be accepted at a higher-level position, which would very much be an HR issue. You keep trying to paint seeking advice as immature, but when you start dragging someone's mom into the conversation, it's reminiscent of junior high. Do you have a point, are you just trying to make fun?
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ... Do you have a point, are you just trying to make fun?

What's this "or" business?
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it's a judgment call on his part.

The people who are all "Whatevah, whatevah, I do what I want" may or may not have worked in an office culture where the right decision in a situation like this can help or hurt your acceptance.

Having worked in a department with the reputation of eating its young, I say eat the damn Popeye's fried chicken and make some friends while you're at it. Once he has endeared himself to the rest of the staff, he can make a more informed decision about how/if bringing his own lunch will alienate himself.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Grammar error, and continued antagonism suggesting immaturity, noted. If you pull out "I know you are, but what am I", you will absolutely make my day. Have a good one!
  • just_fur_luck
    Options

Grammar error, and continued antagonism suggesting immaturity, noted. If you pull out "I know you are, but what am I", you will absolutely make my day. Have a good one!

I know you are but what am I.

You're welcome.

That wasn't a grammar error, I was materializing the implied "or" in the quoted part of your post.

Okay then. My point. HR is not there to tell you how to play nice in the informal stuff that goes on in the office. Part of being successful in a grownup job is learning to navigate situations involving informal culture and etiquette and figure them out on your own. There's nothing wrong with asking a co-worker or just watching to see what other people do and learning from that but having to go ask the HR department or some other authority in the company for guidance on whether we should call the boss Mr. Jenkins or Stan or whether we should take the stairs or the elevator shows a lack of grownupness and a lack of ability to handle a grownup job in the real world. Benefits, timekeeping, grievance procedures, dress code, these are things that could be HR questions. What should I eat and when can I use the potty are things that successful people have figured out without having to resort to official channels. People who advance in grownup jobs don't need their hands held through every decision to be made in their career.

Not only that but: I'm rubber, you're glue etc.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Did your boyfriend ask you to post this? I bet he'd love the "his first real grownup job." bit.

I'm thinking a grad student has enough mental capacity to read the situation and respond appropriately, but in case he does not. I would say, have a few lunches with the coworkers (adjust diet and exercise plan accordingly) and when he has a better read on whether they are comfortable with his food decisions, then he brings his own lunch. If it is lunch around the table, casual, there is no reason why he can't bring his own and sit with them to eat it.

In fact, it may earn brownie points for having cohones enough to care about his food choices. Or not.
    cojones. cause MFP is already beriddled with mispelled english words, let's not start with spanish ones too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    From a management perspective, I would have much more respect for someone who discreetly brought their own lunch and didn't make a big deal out of it, than for someone who doesn't want to eat what everyone else is eating because it is unhealthy, but eats it anyway to fit in. The latter doesn't engender a great deal of confidence in his ability to lead or to make tough decisions.

If anyone asks, he can explain simply that he brought his own lunch but still wanted to enjoy their company.

Yeah but in the workplace one must not only impress the management but be able to get along amongst his peers. It's hard to get on with the group while turning your nose up at what they all think is good enough for them.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Obviously, it's a judgment call on his part.

The people who are all "Whatevah, whatevah, I do what I want" may or may not have worked in an office culture where the right decision in a situation like this can help or hurt your acceptance.

Having worked in a department with the reputation of eating its young, I say eat the damn Popeye's fried chicken and make some friends while you're at it. Once he has endeared himself to the rest of the staff, he can make a more informed decision about how/if bringing his own lunch will alienate himself.

And/Or be in on the ordering and get some good stuff for everyone.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I like how it's his "grownup job". That's just adorable. And it's so nice of you to go asking questions for him on how he should conduct himself around the "grownups". Do you go on fashion sites and ask how he should tie his tie. Or if he should go with wingtips or cap-toes?

Having grownup jobs usually calls for making grownup decisions.

How patronising.

I would seek an opinion on a dilemma on behalf of my husband too!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

You're welcome.

That wasn't a grammar error, I was materializing the implied "or" in the quoted part of your post.

Okay then. My point. HR is not there to tell you how to play nice in the informal stuff that goes on in the office. Part of being successful in a grownup job is learning to navigate situations involving informal culture and etiquette and figure them out on your own. There's nothing wrong with asking a co-worker or just watching to see what other people do and learning from that but having to go ask the HR department or some other authority in the company for guidance on whether we should call the boss Mr. Jenkins or Stan or whether we should take the stairs or the elevator shows a lack of grownupness and a lack of ability to handle a grownup job in the real world. Benefits, timekeeping, grievance procedures, dress code, these are things that could be HR questions. What should I eat and when can I use the potty are things that successful people have figured out without having to resort to official channels. People who advance in grownup jobs don't need their hands held through every decision to be made in their career.

You forgot "infinity!"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You're welcome.

I think I'm in love.
    Would bang, date, marry
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I like how it's his "grownup job". That's just adorable. And it's so nice of you to go asking questions for him on how he should conduct himself around the "grownups". Do you go on fashion sites and ask how he should tie his tie. Or if he should go with wingtips or cap-toes?

How patronising.

Yeah, but would he like you too? I might do the same, but he would hate it. Also I would wipe my kids chocolate off his face with my wet finger, but he'd hate that too. Fruit from the poison tree and all that. Will he ever accept anything she gleans here?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

How patronising.

First of all, it's her boyfriend. Second of all, that doesn't really matter because he is not her child. I would be pissed as hell if my husband had asked a bunch of internet strangers a question on my behalf and then began to instruct me in their opinions on how I should act in my "first real grownup job" and I know that he would feel the same way.
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    You forgot "infinity!"
    [/quote]

OMG, haven't heard "infinity" for a while! Really takes me back. You made me smile. Thank you! :laugh:
  • just_fur_luck
    Options

You're welcome.

You forgot "infinity!"

I know you did but .....wait. what?
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Not sure...what did his mom's friends answer when she asked for him at the beauty parlor?
    LMFAO!
  • lyndseykocher
    lyndseykocher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have an executive chef here and it's part of the 'office culture' to eat breakfast and lunch at work. When I first started, our chef fixed high calorie foods plus desserts in addition to the meals. Our new chef listened to several requests and it turned out that most people preferred healthier options. So, now we have salads, broiled chicken and fresh fruit versus beef stroganoffs and heavy casseroles.

I understand the peer pressure, especially when it comes from the top. Our CEO is big on the office lunch being our informal networking group. However, I found no problem with taking in my own lunch and regulating my portion sizes. People really don't comment on it and I keep protein shake powder in my desk just in case I really can't stomach the lunch and need to have something to get me through the day. As long as I'm present and contributing to the conversation, what I put into my mouth doesn't matter as much as what comes out of it. :)

There are simple solutions to everything.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

How patronising.

First of all, it's her boyfriend. Second of all, that doesn't really matter because he is not her child. I would be pissed as hell if my husband had asked a bunch of internet strangers a question on my behalf and then began to instruct me in their opinions on how I should act in my "first real grownup job" and I know that he would feel the same way.

I will not be instructing him on how to act based on your or my opinion. He has no experience working in an office environment and is working through the new situations. Like I said, he'll figure it out over time. I'm just asking what people would do in a similar circumstance or what their own experiences have been.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    We have an executive chef here and it's part of the 'office culture' to eat breakfast and lunch at work. When I first started, our chef fixed high calorie foods plus desserts in addition to the meals. Our new chef listened to several requests and it turned out that most people preferred healthier options. So, now we have salads, broiled chicken and fresh fruit versus beef stroganoffs and heavy casseroles.

I understand the peer pressure, especially when it comes from the top. Our CEO is big on the office lunch being our informal networking group. However, I found no problem with taking in my own lunch and regulating my portion sizes. People really don't comment on it and I keep protein shake powder in my desk just in case I really can't stomach the lunch and need to have something to get me through the day. As long as I'm present and contributing to the conversation, what I put into my mouth doesn't matter as much as what comes out of it. :)

There are simple solutions to everything.

Executive chef? Breakfast and lunch? Are you hiring?
  • calihoya
    calihoya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with just saying the truth? "I brought my own lunch." I mean, is someone really going to fire him because he didn't eat the right lunch? I work in a big corporate law firm with lots of office politics that often has big catered lunches. Sometimes I eat at them, sometimes I just grab some water and say I brought my own lunch because that's exactly what happened.

I know it's intimidating to be in a new environment, but situations like this and way more stressful are going to crop up all the time and he definitely has to learn to deal with this stuff on the fly.