Lunges harder than squats or is it me?

Options
13»

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    This is just a personal preference, but I think lunges are way easier than squats!!! But I have never been a fan of the squat, and I feel like I am never doing it right..... I'm probably just making excuses. Or I have a super weak butt. Dunno.

Nope i agree.
    For me, I can do 100 walking lunges & never feel a thing. NOW weighted lunghes - different story. but good ole' regular lunges do not hit me at all (even with db's or something in my arms) the weight has to be on my shoulders & heavy to have an effect..

that being said i started 1 legged squats today -best of both worlds i think lol
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Lunges can be tough and can challenge you a bit on your balance. One thing that has helped me is to grip out as far as I can on the barbell while lunging, definitely helps the balance. Think of the opposite of squats, where you pull your hands in as close as you can to your body, lunges pull your hands as far away from your body as you can.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    i assume it's a balance issue, at least for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Balancing on two legs is easier than one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Balancing on two legs is easier than one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:wink: that's why! XD
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough I also do the same thing 5 sets of squats and then a few sets of lunges, and I agree. The change of stance I think is what makes it harder, I'm strong when I squat but those darn lunges.. they still make me feel weak. Lol.
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree! I can't do them without weights, and even when I use weights I lose my balance quite often. It's so much more of a struggle to do lunges than squats.
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lunges literally kill me. squats are too easy.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I do dumbbell lunges after squats also. They are definitely difficult. The balancing aspect seems to add a whole other level to working the muscles. They work many of the same muscle but seem to target them differently than squats.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I avoid lunges like the plague. I rather do 200lb pistols than do lunges! Come to think of it, I rather do BURPEES than do lunges! :noway:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    lunges make me feel like this
    tumblr_m7phv0PRHs1r8egomo1_400.gif
  • fit_grrrl
    fit_grrrl Posts: 32
    Options
    Weighted walking lunges - My best cardio workout

I do hate stationary lunges unless they are done backwards or to the side :)
  • tracywaz
    tracywaz Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I avoid lunges like the plague. I rather do 200lb pistols than do lunges! Come to think of it, I rather do BURPEES than do lunges! :noway:

WOW!!! I hate lunges, but burpees are my all time yuck. I'm pretty sure if there is a hell, they are doing burpees there.
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options

WOW!!! I hate lunges, but burpees are my all time yuck. I'm pretty sure if there is a hell, they are doing burpees there.

Out of breath in two jumps :laugh:
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Guess I am in the minority, I to Dumbell lunges (25lbs in each hand) after my deadlifts and legpresses (I do squats a different day) and I like the lunges. More so than the squats. thugh I havent tried them on a smith machine yet..
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, do you think lunges are more difficult for men or women?
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah My butt cheeks are still sore from lungess over the weekend! back and forth alternating lunges and walking lunges with dumbells.................damn!!