Vintage/Retro style

124»

Replies

• So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    any vintage gals here? i had a pinup photo shoot on friday because i love love love the style so much :) i'm trying to learn how to do victory rolls...but it's freaking hard. any experts in here? share your style!

8451817_3349.jpg

I've seen your photos...where did you have them done? It would be fun to find a similar studio in the Pittsburgh area.

thank you SO much! i went to a place called www.atomiccheesecakestudios.com in baltimore, md. how far is baltimore from pgh?

Not too far at all. ;-) Maybe someday I'll take a road trip there if I can't find a similar studio there. Thanks!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    From my experience, Baltimore to Pgh is a bit of a haul. There appear to be pinup groups and photographers in the Pgh area though. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPinUps

Que? It's a 3 hour drive...closer yet if you get into one of those flying tube thingies.

Thanks for the FB link, will check it out!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    My friends and I did one of those vintage pin-up shoots as a bachelorette party package and it was super fun! I've been thinking about having new shots taken once I get to goal, though. We have a local studio here that specializes in retro photos and they were a lot of fun to work with.

I get most of my vintage stuff on etsy these days. A lot of it is out of my price range, especially the custom dresses, but some of the vintage sellers are really reasonable.
  • kikionna4
    kikionna4 Posts: 308
    @kiki: i love modcloth.com and shabbyapple.com for retro styles :) if i could afford dresses from bettiepageclothing.com, i totally would buy one!

I'm definitely going to check those out! The style of the retro dresses are like the only things that flatter my body shape. Even when I was at my thinnest in high school dresses always just looked better. I swear my body shape was meant for those dresses back in the day. lol.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Oh. Two more things...

1) Zennioptical.com has cute frames that work with this look. I own (and love) Style: #483925

The only thing that I don't love about them is that if it's hot and I'm in the back of the ambulance working on a patient, these buggers have a tendency to slide off. I have another pair from Zenni that are less apt to wander. ;)

2) Scarves are also a must. Think "Rosie the riviter" scarf. If you can get the front to cooperate but the back looks flat, the humidity is cranked and your hair is on strike, you need to do SOMETHING with it, you're feeling lazy, the Victory rolls aren't working, you're on vacation and dripping in sweat but still want to look cute (true story) or you just want a simple hairstyle, pin up the front and wrap up the back, with the knot on the top.

Works wonders, saves time, looks cute, and is totally period/appropriate.

Rolled in the front: (Go to the link because the pic's too big to see here...)
    http://vintagevandalizm.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/dsc_0197.jpg

Rolled off to the side:

pin-up-style-bandana.jpg

Roll going backwards:

bandana-hairstyles.jpg

Roll going forwards:

11scarf.jpg
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I love this style too. I have to be careful though, some of it tends to age me more than my years :ohwell:

I've perfected my pin curls and love water waves. Takes a good deal of work but I enjoy primping, lol!
    Once I drop a bit more body fat, I'll be able to rock some of these looks without looking like a frumpy grammaw :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Hairstyling-Step---Step-Techniques/dp/0981663915/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375286644&sr=1-1&keywords=retro+hairstyles

I bought this book last year and use it for inspiration and to practice.:drinker:
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    i wouldnt call my self rockabilly. however i down own many clothing that is and dress it from time to time.. love psychibilly music
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    OOO yeah...and BeTTie BanGS!!!!
    I forgot about those!!!....I used to rock 'em last year or so....Hmmmmmmm :blushing: :tongue:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Victory rolls look horrible on me, so I no longer try to do them, however there are numerous tutorials on the web. I haven't liked any of the results, so maybe I just never found a good one.

It helps to make "rats" out of fake hair or curlers, to roll your hair over, and it also helps to back comb your hair.... at least that is how I've gotten the correct looking result, even though I proceeded to undo it because it made my head look funny.

I go for Rita Hayworth hair - it's a more relaxed look for longer hair.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    www.youtube.com/thecherrydollface has some great tutorials. but putting them into practice = :-/

www.atomiccheesecakestudios.com is where i got my photos done. finished works haven't been edited yet...they are so so so amazing though! can't wait to share!

Been following that gal since I was 16! She was such a modern inspiration for me.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Oh lord, I can't tell you the amount of time I used to spend on my hair when I frequented Rockabilly bars.

l.jpg
    l.jpg
    247198_10150660208755425_6834276_n.jpg

Ahhh prep work
    l.jpg

^^^ girl you are sexay-schmexay!

Agreed. Drop-dead-gorgeous!

Also, bump.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr7qK4wM9pPRy7b0B3uoWe1TKVle2VsF8DCOafNnZHXY0ttYbD