Weight lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I like the full body workout as well.
    I have stopped getting as sore, but it sure doesnt mean I am not working my butt off.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Any novice or intermediate lifter (or even higher) will generally do best on a full-body routine. Do it 3x a week with 1 day of rest between. That should last you for years. Doing a split routine while starting out seems like a waste of time.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for 2 years and just started doing muscle group. Really do yourself a favour and do stronglifts 5 x 5..... You still have everything to build
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    There is an unbelievable amount of ignorance getting thrown around in this thread.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    There is an unbelievable amount of ignorance getting thrown around in this thread.

LOL... I need to read everything, there have been lots of replies since my commute home!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Bumping this.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump! i love this thread because its something i've been wondering about too. i started weightlifting and did jamie eason's livefit phase one and was happy with the results but then I switched to NROL4W because I thought compound lifts are better and didn't really like it mostly because i had a harder time accessing the equipment for it and now am back doing jamie eason's program. i'm wondering if full body is better than individual muscles so i'm excited to hear the opinions!
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    Options
    Full body 3x per week is best for those starting.

Split routines etc. are more about recovery time.

Keep in mind experienced lifters that lift really hard can "over train" by putting a lot of stress on their system.

But if you look hard enough you will find research that says lifting hard and heavy full body 3x per week is 10-15 % more efficient for muscle gain.
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well, thanks for all of the information! I'm still unsure of what I am going to do. I enjoyed the time I spent in the gym working on one of two areas at a time because I really felt like I was actually working out that muscle group, but doing a full body workout seems like it might be better because then my legs, chest, arms, back etc are all getting worked on 3 times a week instead of just once. Before I started Jamie's program I was thinking it was odd to have 6 days of rest before working out that body part again. That's what my BF does, and he lifts a few hundred pounds for some of what he does, soooo maybe we shouldn't be doing the same things... That actually does make a lot of sense.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I switch it up honestly. Right now I'm doing a 4-day split, 1 day shoulders/abs, 1 day back/chest, and 2 days legs (different leg exercises and 3-4 days apart). But before that I was doing a 3-day ful body. It depends on your goals, the time you have, etc..

I see nothing wrong with doing it either way.