I am having a hard time giving up sugar in my tea!

Options
13»

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I highly doubt 6-8 tsp of sugar a day is going to stop or slow down your weight loss or muscle gain. You don't have to give anything up, just switch things around and skip out on sugar in other places you can.

Enjoy your tea with sugar.

This. If my weight loss is going to be stalled or screwed up because I indulge myself with 4tsp sugar/day in my coffee, I'm doing everything else completely wrong. 4tsp sugar = 60cals/15 gr carb
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Do you track your calories? Does the sugar fit in your overall calorie numbers?
    Sugar is not evil. Stop tracking it, unless you have a specific medical reason to avoid it.

(Just had my daily tea, with sugar.)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have pure cane sugar in my travel mug coffee every morning along with some international delight hershey chocolate and caramel creamer... Pretty sure it has not stop me from losing a few pounds... If it fits in your caloric intake and macro's, then I don't see a reason to cut anything out..... Best of Luck.....
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Sugar in my tea is my crutch too. Sure, a teaspoon of sugar isn't really going to thwart weight loss efforts, but in the winter I would drink up to 6 mugs a day with 2-3 tsp of sugar in each, it adds up over the week as extra calories that you would really rather have for food, the reason I cut out juice (I would rather eat those cals, but if you are happy drinking your calories, then knock yourself out!). And that's how a lot of people who "don't notice" when they gain weight, very slowly with excess calories that collect over the years, so I don't think looking for alternatives is "doing it wrong" :grumble:

That being said, I think stevia in tea tastes VILE. I don't know how people can drink it. I really like my dessert teas and they just don't taste the same without sugar or agave syrup, but I've switched to a milk oolong tea that has a rich and naturally sweet flavour and I don't need to add anything to it, as my everyday tea, if you like oolong teas you should look into it! I got mine here: http://www.davidstea.com/quangzhou-milk-oolong?&TF=7520DB5F4649&DEID=
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Google Stevia, there's your answer :)

This.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I used to use sugar, then Honey until i found out that it's just as bad. then i used Raw local honey, until i found out that heating it killed all the enzymes. then I tried Stevia, yuk.
    went back to sugar......now i am on Sugar-Busters, because i have Low Blood Sugar, (and can't lose weight unless i am on it-now the pounds are melting off!)

Now I use Coconut/Palm -Sap Crystals (coconut Sugar), it doesn't taste like Coconut, it's low glycemic (GI 35)
    and only 30 calories per Table Spoon, <<<awesome!
    it has 17 amino acids, lots of minerals, vitamin C, broad-spectrum B vitamins, nearly neutral PH.
    this stuff comes in vanilla (not strong, can hardly tell) and plain.
    I use it to make desserts with; especially homemade ice cream YUM!

Just cut back on regular sugar, it takes time to adjust the taste, then all is good :-)

Good Luck
    :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk.............6 to 8 tsps of sugar per day (I know, a teaspoon isn't exactly a scientific unit of measurement) amounts to about 130 cal per day (8 x 16cal) which you could burn off walking briskly for half an hour or so. Don't fixate in the number of grams of sugar in your diet unless you're diabetic.....focus on total caloric intake and total caloric expenditures and you'll be fine.

Enjoy your tea the way you want to drink it!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not evil. Stop tracking it, unless you have a specific medical reason to avoid it.

(Just had my daily tea, with sugar.)

This. Unless you're diabetic or have another medical issue that sugar affects, there's no need to track it.

We're only talking about ~120 calories of sugar a day. If it's not keeping you from reaching your nutritional goals, there's no reason to cut it out. Now, if you were drinking, say, 6-8 cans of Coca Cola a day, at 140 calories EACH, that might be something you'd want to stop. But 6-8 teaspoons of sugar? You can burn that off in about 10-15 minutes of cardio if you really wanted to.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I love herbal teas with sugar, but I'd also love some muscle! I am working towards a 6 pack abs. I am very tiny and have been, but my abs just aren't pushing through! I had a baby 7 months ago, and I have a cup of coffee or tea with 2 or 3 tsp in the morning. And then one around bed time. Sometimes a I will with my,lunch too. So that is about 6-8 tsp of sugar daily! :/

On here, it says I am allowed 35g of sugar. How bad is this tea addiction for my goal? I work as a Barista so it's even harder!

I've been working out, breastfeeding, eating lots of protein, and water!

Just remember to log it as one teaspoon of sugar is 20 calories, it can add up unless you keep track of it.

Personally I use sweeteners as they are 0.2 calorie per sweetener. I like sweet tea and coffee and would end up going way over my daily calorie allowance if I used sugar.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

Keeping it simple is a good plan.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    we're talking about an extra 90 calories. This is not exactly a deal breaker.
    unless you have health reasons for avoiding carbs or sugar, this doesn't make difference in getting to '6 pack' abs.
    calorie deficit to lose fat + strength training.
    in particular full body lifting such as deadlifts, squats, bench press.
    very little extra ab work is needed when you use your core to stabilize during your lifting session.
    just a few sets of reverse crunches, leg lifts, cable crunches or planks. 2 x a week.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I love herbal teas with sugar, but I'd also love some muscle! I am working towards a 6 pack abs. I am very tiny and have been, but my abs just aren't pushing through! I had a baby 7 months ago, and I have a cup of coffee or tea with 2 or 3 tsp in the morning. And then one around bed time. Sometimes a I will with my,lunch too. So that is about 6-8 tsp of sugar daily! :/

On here, it says I am allowed 35g of sugar. How bad is this tea addiction for my goal? I work as a Barista so it's even harder!

Just remember to log it as one teaspoon of sugar is 20 calories, it can add up unless you keep track of it.

Personally I use sweeteners as they are 0.2 calorie per sweetener. I like sweet tea and coffee and would end up going way over my daily calorie allowance if I used sugar.

1 tsp of white granulated sugar is 15 calories
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Buy TRUVIA
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

1 tsp of white granulated sugar is 15 calories

okay I rephrase.

Just remember to log it as one teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories, it can add up unless you keep track of it.