I'm going to scream

Options
124»

Replies

• mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! This used to happen to me all of the time...and I would get so frustrated that I would give up. And gain more.

I felt that one of my diabetes medications was causing me to gain weight, but the family doctor who was treating me for the disease didn't believe me. He told me to lose weight, but offered no advice about how. So...I went to an endocrinologist.

Endocrinologists are hormone doctors. They treat diabetes because insulin is a hormone, but they also treat other things that relate to metabolism. When I told the new doctor that I thought the medication was causing my weight gain, he prescribed something new and cut that medication in half. Then he referred me to a dietician.

The dietician's diet is simple and easy to follow - and it automatically results in me eating more healthy fruits and vegetables and less processed foods. This is key - avoid those protein bars, protein shakes, and anything with corn syrup.

Amazingly, this has all worked for me. After years of struggling and thinking there was something wrong with my body, I have been losing steadily now. My advice to you, and anyone else who is struggling the way that you are, trying everything with little or no results, is get professional help. If your doctor is not willing or able to help, find one who is. Get a referral to an endocrinologist and/or a dietician. And if you suspect that the medications you are taking are hindering your weight loss, you may be right. Find out if there is something else that you can take instead.

Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Don't scream yet!!! Had this same thing happen to me. I was so frustrated. Then someone explained to me (and IDK if it's true but it sure made sense to me) that the working out increases muscle mass. Muscle weighs more that fat. But the increased muscle will cause increased fat burning in the long run. So, although you may notice an increase in weight at the beginning, its actually a good thing if it is increasing muscle. Hope this helps!

To let you know, your body will NOT gain much muscle at a defecit, esp at the defecit she is eating at, so no, she is not eating enough for her exercise level. You need carbs and more energy in order to strength train as well to tone as you lose the weight.

IF she is eating at a deficit, which she may not be if she is not losing. Just because she is eating below the average based on an online calculator does not guarantee that it is a deficit for her.

Also, while muscle mass may not increase, muscle weight my very well increase due to water in the muscle.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I think I'm eating between TDEE and BMR.

You think, but do you know?

Based on your info (25yo female, 5'6", 217lbs) and guestimating your body fat % @ 35, your BMR is 1754. Based on an moderate activity level (exercise 3-5x/wk) your TDEE is 2258.

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

You are currently eating UNDER your BMR, resulting in no weight loss.

EDITED TO REMOVE THE FOLLOWING "and possible weight gain."

How does one NOT lose weight when eating UNDER their BMR??
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Based on your info (25yo female, 5'6", 217lbs) and guestimating your body fat % @ 35, your BMR is 1754. Based on an moderate activity level (exercise 3-5x/wk) your TDEE is 2258.

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

BMR calculators are guestimates at best. Many factors play into your BMR that a general calculator can not cover. One significant one is genetics. Some people have a naturally high metabolism and some have a very low metabolism. The calculated BMR might be artificially high for a very slow metabolism.

Thyroxin is a hormone produced by thyroid gland that is a primary regulator of BMR. When you consistently obtain a deficit and go into famine mode your body adjusts this level among other things. As this level decreases your BMR lower regardless of what the scooby calculator says. Many with large calorie deficits won't notice this hormonal change and you will have no idea what your current accurate BMR is. You will think you can "cheat" a little and still be low but alas you go over and gain. The calculator is a guide and it is scientifically possible to gain weight when you have no idea what your BMR due to hormonal changes.
  • bcattoes
    Options

TDEE - 15% = 1919
    TDEE - 20% = 1806

BMR calculators are guestimates at best. Many factors play into your BMR that a general calculator can not cover. One significant one is genetics. Some people have a naturally high metabolism and some have a very low metabolism. The calculated BMR might be artificially high for a very slow metabolism.

Thyroxin is a hormone produced by thyroid gland that is a primary regulator of BMR. When you consistently obtain a deficit and go into famine mode your body adjusts this level among other things. As this level decreases your BMR lower regardless of what the scooby calculator says. Many with large calorie deficits won't notice this hormonal change and you will have no idea what your current accurate BMR is. You will think you can "cheat" a little and still be low but alas you go over and gain. The calculator is a guide and it is scientifically possible to gain weight when you have no idea what your BMR due to hormonal changes.

Exaclty my point.
  • estralla03
    Options
    I read your story and it sounded much like my own lol. Don't get disscouraged! The number on the scale can be determined by alot of things like what time of month it is. Water weighs alot and muscle weighs more than fat. Also try stepping on the scale at the same time everyday. I weigh 1st thing in the am after going to the bathroom before i take my shower. One thing that has worked for me is to eat more times during the day but smaller meals instead of 3 big meals that way you are constantly fueling the fire instead of "overloading" it all at once which can cause your body to go into starvation mode and not burn calories but rather "hang on" to every thing that you put into your body which defeats the purpose of exercise. Another good tip is to start your day with a high protein breakfast so that it jumpstarts your matabolism and turns into a fat burning machine. Hope this helps.
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I had a business trip this past weekend and walked a 5K race so I'm back to logging everything today!
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Why does this have to be so hard?
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    Ask your primary care doctor to test your thyroid function (TSH levels, free T4 & free T3). If your thyroid is not working properly, getting that corrected will help a whole lot. Also ask your doctor to refer you somewhere to have your RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested. If you have confirmation that your thyroid is working properly, and know your personal RMR, you can much more accurately calculate what you, individually, need to consume and how much you need to work out.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    Ask your primary care doctor to test your thyroid function (TSH levels, free T4 & free T3). If your thyroid is not working properly, getting that corrected will help a whole lot. Also ask your doctor to refer you somewhere to have your RMR (resting metabolic rate) tested. If you have confirmation that your thyroid is working properly, and know your personal RMR, you can much more accurately calculate what you, individually, need to consume and how much you need to work out.

Thank you!