Need to lose 50 Pounds and I am going Low-Carb

Options
I am starting back on Low-Carb. I have to lose 50 pounds. What I worry the most about is cooking everything at home. I like to cook, but low carb sometimes can take twice the time and effort. So, I am going to try to make things run smoothly. I know it will get easier with practice.

The books I have read, Protein Power, Why We Get Fat, and Metabolism Miracle. I am a firm believer in Low Carb! :smile:

Replies

• kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    good luck but that has never worked for me...mainly because if u dont do low carb basically forever you will gain back the weight FAST...

A diet that has worked for me is a portion diet I lost a lot of weight but i was always hungry but if you wanna try that route its 2 servings of every thing on the food pyramid a day
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    What do your macros look like?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I do low carb as well...actually I do "acceptable" carbs not "eat your face off with every white pastry you can get your hands on". I try and keep it around 150g a day. I've read carb nite solution, and don't really enjoy the carb cycling, although it does work. Add me if you'd like, my diary is open :)
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    good luck but that has never worked for me...mainly because if u dont do low carb basically forever you will gain back the weight FAST...

That is not true... That is nothing to do with low carb... That is the same reason why every diet fails... People lose commitment and focus and fall back into bad habits and that's why they put on weight. Low carb is a very effective way to lose fat and there is no reason why it can't be sustainable in the long run providing you remain committed, which is what is required for any healthy diet and lifestyle.
  • DizzyTyke
    Options
    Hi I'm also looking for some buddies on here, I have about 30lb to loose and am doing reduced carbs, its worked for me so far and I've lost about 25lb. Only just really got into using myfitness pal a couple of weeks ago. I registered a couple of years ago but it wasn't as user friendly then. I set myself quite a low calorie level and bump it up with exercise, this makes me do more so I can eat more.
  • WTGMe
    WTGMe Posts: 4
    Options
    For me, at 39, my blood sugar is much harder to control on a typical low fat portion controlled diet. When I was in my twenties, I could do it and I was skinny...but my body has become insulin resistant and it doesn't work for me anymore and that is why I am going to a low carb diet.
  • WTGMe
    WTGMe Posts: 4
    Options
    :laugh:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    The key for most is once desired weight-loss is achieved, introduce carbohydrates back into the diet GRADUALLY.

Most, especially those who were obese, don't do that, and often the result is glycemic and insulin spikes/drops and resultant hunger which results in greater than maintenance intake... which results in fat gain.

It's especially important if you know you're insulin-resistant to very-gradually reintroduce carbohydrate and lower fat while continuing to ensure that calories don't rise above TDEE. I find a 8-12 week graduated reintroduction period works well and helps people find the overall macronutrient ratio that works well for you.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    low carb sometimes can take twice the time and effort.

Sounds like a good reason not to do low carb to me.

Life's too short to make eating twice as hard as it needs to be.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    And when you lose the 50lbs presumably you will reintroduce carbs and put the weight back on?

Cutting out one of the 3 main macronutrients in your diet is not healthy or sustainable. Please try something sustainable if you want permanent results.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Just cut calories. I would say cut out empty calories. Stuff like soda, french fries, potato chips, crackers, anything that isn't nutrient dense. Nothing wrong with carbs, if you eat the good stuff. Get used to drinking water if you haven't already. Replacing sugary drinks with water is an easy way to cut back on calories. You could just clean up your diet a little bit, don't go cold turkey. If you enjoy certain snacks, eat those snacks. But i would definitely be mindful of what you are eating. Just advice, good luck!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am starting back on Low-Carb. I have to lose 50 pounds. What I worry the most about is cooking everything at home. I like to cook, but low carb sometimes can take twice the time and effort. So, I am going to try to make things run smoothly. I know it will get easier with practice.

The books I have read, Protein Power, Why We Get Fat, and Metabolism Miracle. I am a firm believer in Low Carb! :smile:
    I can fry/grill/broil up a steak and steam some cauliflower faster than anybody can boil up a pot of pasta. Most of my very low carb meals are cooked and ready to eat in under 20 minutes. What takes a lot of time is if you are trying to create a low carb version of a high carb meal.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    And when you lose the 50lbs presumably you will reintroduce carbs and put the weight back on?

Cutting out one of the 3 main macronutrients in your diet is not healthy or sustainable. Please try something sustainable if you want permanent results.
    It's completely sustainable. I've been ketogenic 2 and a half years and personally know someone that's been ketogenic since 1999.

It's a complete myth that it's not sustainable, especially for someone with insulin-resistance like the OP said she has.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It's completely sustainable. I've been ketogenic 2 and a half years and personally know someone that's been ketogenic since 1999.

It's a complete myth that it's not sustainable, especially for someone with insulin-resistance like the OP said she has.

.. Ketogenic diet eating 70+ grams of carbs a day?
  • Selgar
    Selgar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me....I am trying to keep my carbs under 120g/day....I'm definitely a work in progress!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    GET A CROCK POT.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    NOT A SPAMMER....A WINNER...OK *kitten*
    Oh yeah, real winner.
    Bull**** and misinformation..eat all the carbs you want...these person is ignorant!
    Kristian Rocco
    Thank you for continuing to prove my point. I'm quite done with you.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

.. Ketogenic diet eating 70+ grams of carbs a day?

While those who eat "keto" do follow specific macros, a ketogenic diet is all about being in ketosis. If you can stay in ketosis with 70g a day, more power to you.

I can't, though. Boo.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you hit your calorie goal +/- 5% every day.