WHEN are you supposed to drink your water?

Options
124»

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    All day long!
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options

you might want to consider more than one source.

water has a very high pH, and when introduced to a very low pH environment, the pH level of said environment will rise. if the pH of the stomach is higher than about 3, pepsin isn't activated, and thus the proteins won't be broken down correctly.

can you drink a few sips of water with a meal? sure. but don't throw back a 12oz dasani.

Please stop talking about things you don't understand.

pH is logarithmic, not linear. The stomach secretes around 500ml of acid per meal, so if you had a starting pH of 2, it would take 5 liters (1.3 gallons) of water to raise it to 3.

Not to mention that water is absorbed within seconds or minutes after consumption, where protein takes 2-4 hours (depending on quantity). So by your rationale, we shouldn't drink water until several hours after eating.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    ohhhh, you. Thank you for clearing things up.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're thirsty. It's best not to over complicate matters.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day, I'd never finish it on a routine.
  • Joehenny
    Options

water has a very high pH, and when introduced to a very low pH environment, the pH level of said environment will rise. if the pH of the stomach is higher than about 3, pepsin isn't activated, and thus the proteins won't be broken down correctly.

can you drink a few sips of water with a meal? sure. but don't throw back a 12oz dasani.

Please stop talking about things you don't understand.

pH is logarithmic, not linear. The stomach secretes around 500ml of acid per meal, so if you had a starting pH of 2, it would take 5 liters (1.3 gallons) of water to raise it to 3.

Not to mention that water is absorbed within seconds or minutes after consumption, where protein takes 2-4 hours (depending on quantity). So by your rationale, we shouldn't drink water until several hours after eating.

OWNED
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

... Just what.

No. Water has a pH of 7 - It's considered a neutral pH. Neither basic or acidic, because the acid-base scale looks at the dissociation of water into it's H+ and OH- ions. It can't raise the pH of the stomach when ingested with food, simply because its in a state where there are neither a high concentration of H+ or a high concentration of OH- ions present. It exists as a complete water molecule. To neutralize an acidic pH you need a base to reduce the concentration of H+ ions present and generate water molecules as you approach neutrality.
  • Joehenny
    Options

... Just what.

No. Water has a pH of 7 - It's considered a neutral pH. Neither basic or acidic, because the acid-base scale looks at the dissociation of water into it's H+ and OH- ions. It can't raise the pH of the stomach when ingested with food, simply because its in a state where there are neither a high concentration of H+ or a high concentration of OH- ions present. It exists as a complete water molecule. To neutralize an acidic pH you need a base to reduce the concentration of H+ ions present and generate water molecules as you approach neutrality.

Now it's just a gang bang of ownage
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well, since I am not a horse eating grass, colic is not really an issue, so I just drink whenever I feel like it.
    I do try to keep a bottle on my desk and take a swig or two between classes. I drank almost a full liter with my supper this evening because my throat is somewhat sore with allergies and all.

I have known people who swore it was bad for the gut to drink with meals and they refused to do so, but hey, to each his/her own. No one has ever been able to present conclusive evidence that either way was superior.