What's the best weight loss / fitness advice you ever got?

Options

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have received LOTS of good advice, but a lot of it I knew in one way or another, and they were just confirming that knowledge.

The piece of advice that was honestly new to me and quite helpful was in response to my claim that I could never be a runner:

Slow down!!

I always tried to "run and not jog" when I'd start to run. I'd get winded, get a cramp, get pain in my shins, or whatever else, and I'd stop. I'd feel embarrassed at how quickly that happened. It'd be a long time before I started trying again.

So glad I took the advice and gave it another go. I can comfortably run 4-5 K now.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Calculate everything.
  • Lumen1505
    Lumen1505 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Eat more, weigh less :drinker:
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    eat more to lose weight!!! Best advice I have been given thus far and it works! I have lost about 15 pounds doing this since I hit a stall
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    If you are going to splurge, make sure it is something that's worth it. For instance, if you love chocolate chip cookies, a homemade fresh out of the oven cookie is worth it, as hard, dry store bought cookie isn't.

You don't have to eat like there is no tomorrow, you will get a chance to eat again. But, if there is no tomorrow the you won't care.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Mine was "Be Honest". You can take that many ways. but at the begining i was logging all my food but small things here or there i didnt and when i finally added everything in i realized why i wasnt looking weight. So i was pretty much lying to myself and the system.
    So 100% doesnt matter what i eat im honest and log everything. doesnt matter if im 5000 calories over i log it.

Just Be Honest
  • GlenLP
    GlenLP Posts: 1
    Options
    ... most Americans were walking around with two extra car batteries of weight. So I started calculating my excess weight in car batteries. Two down, one and a half two go.

I burst out laughing when I read this! Excellent idea. I actually have always thought of extra weight in terms of gallon jugs of milk. But I never actually looked up how much they weighed - I just kinda visualized it.

But now I know: I've got 3 1/3 milk jugs to go to hit my goal weight!
  • kathendo1984
    Options
    bump for later
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    "One bad meal won't make you fat, just like one good meal won't make you skinny."

"You will never regret a workout."

"It takes 4 weeks for you to notice your body changing, 8 weeks for your friends to notice, and 12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice."

"When you feel like quitting, think about why you started."

"If you're sick of starting over, stop quitting."
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    "Look into a tracking device for exercise." Seriously, tracking my exercise with a device has made all of the difference! I stay really motivated knowing my step count and how much more I need to do each day.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are craving something bad, just remember that nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. My mom told me this, and I think its the weight watchers slogan or something.....but I love it! If skinny tastes better than bacon or ben n jerrys then I can't wait!!!!

No it's the KATE MOSS slogan!

HAHA well that person's idea of skinny is way different than mine. To me, Khloe Kardashian is skinny, and Kate Moss is just unhealthy. Plus her main intake is cocaine, so she can't even have that slogan lol
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Do interval training with cardio, add resistance from time to time during your workout. And yes, it helps you feel the burn while you sweat. I pretty much swear by this now.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Eat Ice cream, (Sara2uk) Lift... Succeed
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    Don't watch the scale watch how your body changes.
    I like tht one! " it sounds like ur not motivated . You have to want this and visualize urself the way u want to look so suck it up eat right n workout ." sometimes u just need tough love n thts what I needed
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I also forgot one of my favs....its a journey not a race.....I have to remember that everything I want to lose 100 pounds in two weeks lol
  • marielyd
    marielyd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's hard but it's fair!!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    "A year from now you'll wish you had started today"
  • availles
    availles Posts: 11
    Options
    Take Small steps to achieve great things. When I signed up for an activity tracker program, this is what they advised. I took it to heart and have been losing small amounts of weight regularly.
  • caseykinney40
    caseykinney40 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on mfp:

If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry....

wow-that rang true as I am a mindless night snacker!!!!

I LOVE THIS...I hope I remember this tonight when I'm tempted to go for the frozen yogurt!
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Everyday you have the choice to get closer to your goals or farther away from them. You have the choice. It's up to you and only you.

NOTE TO SELF: When I eat like crap, I feel like crap

"I workout, because I can. When I get tired, or I am short on time, or I want to quit...I think about how lucky I am to be healthy enough to workout daily. Be grateful for your health and your ability to become STRONGER. Don't ever take it for granted!"

"broccoli gets stuck in your teeth, french fries get stuck on your *kitten*"

"If you did have a million-dollar racehorse, would you let him stay up half the night drinking coffee and booze, smoking cigarettes and eating junk food?" "Would you treat your 10-dollar dog or your 5-dollar cat that way? What about your billion-dollar body?"

We can reverse years of damage to our bodies by deciding to raise our standards for ourselves, then living differently. Old wounds heal, injuries repair, and the whole system improves with just a few changes in what we put into our bodies and how we move them.

add me if you want a friend