Bob Harper's new book--only 800 calories/day?!

Options
124»

Replies

• mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    With all those veggies it should be retitled the Bob Harper 'Fart yourself fit and s*** yourself slim diet'
    WIN :laugh:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Well he promotes and stars in a show that promotes disordered low calorie eating with massive amounts of cardio.....so yeah, not too much of a stretch that he would sell a book spouting the same BS. :wink:
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for a male seems good to me. I operate on that daily (definately far less if you count the amount of calories i burn) and am fully of energy.

Pretty much every day i have oatmeal for breakfast, a large salad w\chicken and light amount of salad dressing for lunch, after work i lift for 60-90 minutes, go home, take a protein shake, go run for 30 min outside, get back eat some fruit/vegetables and that's it, some dayus i also do 30-45 minutes of stairs in the morning. I also take GNC multivitamin pack which has like 6 vitamins in a pack per day, just to be sure i'm getting all my nutrients.

it's pretty simple, I eat extremely well, i workout often, do cardio and pounds just fall off. i'm 6'2 220 right now, i was at 285 3 years ago, and 250 as recently as february, this past month i really focused on my diet and pounds just fall off.

My goal weight is 195 (i'm 220 right now at 18% bodyfat, so it's not like i'm obese either) and i'm functioning great like this.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat 800 calories in fill in snacks and in-between meals alone.
  • legge39
    legge39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saw Bob on the morning show and I thought I heard him say that beyond the 1200 calories veggies were unlimited.
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    800??!! That sounds pretty insane to me. Sure you may fit into the wedding dress but you'll be a hot mess when you pass out at the wedding. I would be a grouchy mess on 800 cals.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I can make a salad that costs more than 800 calories a day.

I say NOPE (in the voice of Lana from Archer)
    8NZU6Dg.gif
  • lizzyp319
    lizzyp319 Posts: 1
    Options
    The 800 calories excludes veggies. This is purely 800 calories of protein, carbs and fruits. The diet also discourages complex carbs after 12pm. Bob said eat as much veggies as you want.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    The book is for losing weight fast for a special upcoming event. He is not saying you should do 800 calories for the rest of your life.
  • 19Lindsay76
    19Lindsay76 Posts: 135
    Options
    I am a huge fan of The Biggest Loser--and of course all the trainers--so when my mom came across an article about Bob's new book she forwarded it to me. There was an excerpt from the book which explained that women should eat 800 calories per day, and men 1200. WHAT?!?!?! All these warnings about not going under 1200 for risk of starvation mode, and he's saying cut out 400 MORE calories?! I was shocked. Not sure what his reasoning or explanation is, as I said, it was only a short excerpt. I really trust Bob so I am interested in his reasoning for 800 calories being the right amount. It completely shocked me! What do you guys think about this? Has anyone read his new book already who can elaborate?

Oh HELL no! I like his workouts....but 800 calories a day!? NOBODY would wanna be around me if I tried to go that low(including myself!) I haven't read that at all...but that just cannot be healthy :/
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I would be in the fetal position sucking my thumb with only1200 calories a day.

I second that. And 800? Someone would get murdered.
    This, except I'd be too weak to wield a weapon.
  • Mybigrace
    Mybigrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe your brain can not use fat for fuel, so although you may function, you will not feel good. What a way to start a new life as a married person. I would rather be happy and energetic and a few pounds more than miserable and "skinny". Having calories this low could (by all the research I have read) spark an eating disorder. Happily ever after, not!
  • Hollie0409
    Options
    I have read the book. He is not suggesting that you follow this permanently. This is only if you need to lose a little weight before a big event, etc. The foods you eat are very healthy, and if you follow this diet for 3 weeks, it could change the way you eat permanently.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I believe your brain can not use fat for fuel

Your kidding right......
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have read the skinny rules. I didn't agree with the whole 1200 cals a day for women. Also, he didn't mention anything about exercising in that book.. Umm, really? So I take things with a grain of salt. I agree with a lot of the rules in that book - upping water intake, limiting certain foods, etc. I liked a lot of the recipes in the book as well. But as for how many cals I intake I would look elsewhere for advice.