I'm shaking my head at this advice

Options
Ok so a friend of mine on Facebook wants to lose weight. Through all the 'advice' she's been given on the post....some of it makes me scream & shake my head.

" As a vegan.. I maintain my weight and even lose weight naturally! Losing the dairy and eggs is a must. Dairy and eggs will MAINTAIN your weight making it impossible to lose. Dairy clogs arteries anyway so it is not healthy.. Plenty of raw fruits and veggies have calcium in it so you wont lack that. Almond milk to replace Cows milk.. Avoid all refined foods such as white rice white pasta white bread white allpurpose flour white sugar and white salt (including sea salt).. Himalayan pink crystal salt has 84 minerals in it.. Every mineral that the body needs for optimum health.. Use organic sugar cane sparingly.. Avoid bread at all costs during weightloss.. It is glutenous and has the wrong type of carbs.. You need "complex carbs" from raw fruits and veggies.. Eat a handful of each per day (almonds sunflower seeds and a mix of brazilnuts with walnuts) .. Nuts are not high in saturated fat.. They are over 80% monounsaturated fats which lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Try eating veggies raw.. When you cook food you make it acidic and we need an 80% alkaline intake and 20% acidic and most fruits are naturally acidic.. Lemons limes and grapefruits sound acidic but turn to alkaline when consumed because of the low sugar content in these 3 fruits.. Squeeze half a lemon in your morning water on an empty stomach everyday! This is what everyone should consume before they eat anything for breakfast. Avoid fish unless you have mercury/radiation free fish in Oz then eat 2 salmon steaks per week no more than 250g each.. Eat a 300g piece of chicken breast or grassfed beef per day.. One portion a day is plenty and make one of your meals a large raw salad and add guacomole and a touch of olive oil as your salad dressing. Avoid any processed foods and avoid anything in a can. Also.. A couple homemade smoothies/juices are very important as well.. One should be half carrot and half apple.. The otger should be 2 kiwis and a bunch of your favorite veggies inckuding 3 leaves of kale or collard greens/spinach. I spent my whole half hour busride telling you all this because I am a health advisor and a nutritionist by trade. "

" Avoid pharmaceuticals including weightloss pills like Duramine. Like Thomas said.. Your body will produce its own fat to protect you when you begin to starve yourself and its the wrong type of fat. Avoid microwaves.. It changes the DNA of the food which is not recognized by the human body. Red meat and poultry sparingly is okay.. As long as it is no more than a 200g portion per day (I mentioned 300g before.. That was a typo) -- also I noticed you said you had a Gatorade.. Try your best to consume smoothies and water only for fluids. It is very important. Naturally, a vegan diet will help you lose weight without exercise if you consume between 1800-2200 calories a day. If you consume less than 1800 calories a day.. Your body will maintain your weight, if not gain. No soda.. No pop.. No fizz. Anything with a sugarfree label or a DIET before its name has Aspartame in it. A chemical sweetener that contains formaldehyde and causes neurological problems. Avoid fat-free and sugar-free labels. Your body needs fat, but corporations fail to tell us we need the RIGHT FATS.. Avocados and nuts.. Mainstream likes to say theae are not that good when you consume a lot lol.. That is a big joke.. Eat 100g of nuts/seeds per day.. Preferably alkaline nuts such as almonds and brazilnuts. Add a tablespoon of each seed (hemp seeds, flax seeds, and chia seeds) in each meal on top of cereal, pasta, sauce, soup, salad or even in veggie dips.. Hemp seeds have the highest plant protein ratio than all the other plants in the world. 3 grams of hemp seeds has 1 gram of protein and I consume 60g a day giving me 20 grams of protein per day! Thomas Goodine makes a lot of valid points except I do not believe in nutritional facts. Get a calorie counter.. Such as myfitnesspal.com is a great site. Add the foods you eat and it calculates it for you. I just do not think Nutritional Facts on a box are that accurate, it is deceptive in some way or another."

The whole "eggs & dairy will maintain your weight" and the "1800calories will maintain your weight & you will not lose, you need to eat more than that"

:explode: :explode: :explode:

Sorry

I just pointed her to here, told her to make an account & exercise. Simple enough.

Avoid eggs? Avoid dairy? serious? anything below 1800 cal & you will NOT lose weight????

Replies

• Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be vegan to be honest.

But spreading false and misleading information is wrong..

I mean.. cmon.. Microwave changes DNA of foods? Voodoo talk!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I'm just so angry that this person gave this friend advice like this.

Dairy clogs arteries?
    Eat eggs & you will NOT lose weight?
    The microwave was a good one...DNA hahaha.
    Eat between 1800 & 2200 you will lose anything lower that 1800 & you will maintain? (want to explain that to everyone on this site who has lost eating under that)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be vegan to be honest.

But spreading false and misleading information is wrong..

^
    Agreed
    Dairy clogs arteries?
    Eat eggs & you will NOT lose weight?
    The microwave was a good one...DNA hahaha.
    Eat between 1800 & 2200 you will lose anything lower that 1800 & you will maintain? (want to explain that to everyone on this site who has lost eating under that)

:noway:
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I must be a freak of nature because I eat at least one egg almost every day and I've lost 18 lbs in just over 2 months. Can you please tell me what's wrong with me? :huh:
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I must be a freak of nature because I eat at least one egg almost every day and I've lost 18 lbs in just over 2 months. Can you please tell me what's wrong with me? :huh:

Ummm... your shirt! lol
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

I know right? I eat 2 eggs at least a day. I'm kinda sure I've lost heaps.
  • SZY0006
    SZY0006 Posts: 23
    Options
    Wow. If I ate like that every day, I'd go insane! There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a vegan or eat all-natural foods, but it's usually something people work themselves into, not change overnight. The few people I know who've tried doing it that way lost motivation early on. And my BMR is about 1550... If I consumed between 1800 and 2200 calories a day, no matter what the food was, I'm pretty sure I'd gain weight without exercise! 1800 calories is still 1800 calories, whether I'm eating raw, organic fruits or the cheapest thing I can pick up in the produce section. And the microwave thing just cracks me up. False advertising much?
  • RavenWolf1977
    RavenWolf1977 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I must be following in your foot steps because I eat 2 eggs a day AND under 1800 calories a day and I've lost 38 pounds since 1 January!

That advice is awful and poor. I hope your friend does not take that seriously.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options

" As a vegan.. I maintain my weight and even lose weight naturally! Losing the dairy and eggs is a must. Dairy and eggs will MAINTAIN your weight making it impossible to lose. Dairy clogs arteries anyway so it is not healthy.. Plenty of raw fruits and veggies have calcium in it so you wont lack that. Almond milk to replace Cows milk.. Avoid all refined foods such as white rice white pasta white bread white allpurpose flour white sugar and white salt (including sea salt).. Himalayan pink crystal salt has 84 minerals in it.. Every mineral that the body needs for optimum health.. Use organic sugar cane sparingly.. Avoid bread at all costs during weightloss.. It is glutenous and has the wrong type of carbs.. You need "complex carbs" from raw fruits and veggies.. Eat a handful of each per day (almonds sunflower seeds and a mix of brazilnuts with walnuts) .. Nuts are not high in saturated fat.. They are over 80% monounsaturated fats which lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Try eating veggies raw.. When you cook food you make it acidic and we need an 80% alkaline intake and 20% acidic and most fruits are naturally acidic.. Lemons limes and grapefruits sound acidic but turn to alkaline when consumed because of the low sugar content in these 3 fruits.. Squeeze half a lemon in your morning water on an empty stomach everyday! This is what everyone should consume before they eat anything for breakfast. Avoid fish unless you have mercury/radiation free fish in Oz then eat 2 salmon steaks per week no more than 250g each.. Eat a 300g piece of chicken breast or grassfed beef per day.. One portion a day is plenty and make one of your meals a large raw salad and add guacomole and a touch of olive oil as your salad dressing. Avoid any processed foods and avoid anything in a can. Also.. A couple homemade smoothies/juices are very important as well.. One should be half carrot and half apple.. The otger should be 2 kiwis and a bunch of your favorite veggies inckuding 3 leaves of kale or collard greens/spinach. I spent my whole half hour busride telling you all this because I am a health advisor and a nutritionist by trade. "

Sounds like he/she would be a lot of fun at a dinner party.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    My brain just exploded all over the keyboard from the sheer stupidity
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the part about your body producing its own fat when you starve yourself.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options

Ummm... your shirt! lol

Yeah, yeah. I stick by my team :tongue:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Wait...advocating vegan, but recommending grass fed beef or organic chicken? Are those vegetables? This is just full of so much bizarre....
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Um....what?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Now you can see why my head is exploding with rage. I my friend followed this woman's advice I'd be so pissed off.

There is another post from another bloke there if you want to read it....it's just as good.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    What the hell. She's like a walking infomercial!!

I'm going to go microwave all my eggs and dairy and see what happens.

Surely death is imminent.

:D
  • Etienne54
    Etienne54 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What the hell. She's like a walking infomercial!!

I'm going to go microwave all my eggs and dairy and see what happens.

Surely death is imminent.

:D

If death comes at your door, it'll probably be caused by the super hot dairy burning your inners.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    " starting to reduce unhealthy food ( don't cut everything out completely it is asking for you to cave in and binge and by phasing out your body gets used to the new diet)

The best approach I've seen people use is to cut out sugars, and red meat. Then every two hours eat something small throughout the whole day, stopping 2 hours before you go to sleep. This keeps the body from producing fat since you're keeping a steady stream of food going in. By something small I mean fruit mixed with yogurt for breakfast, then 2 hrs later eat a half a can of tuna, then 2 hrs later eat some carrot sticks, etc...."

Wait what?
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the part about your body producing its own fat when you starve yourself.

Mine too.

And Microwaves changing DNA.

I see what they're *trying* to say but... no.

4rw9js.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    How is " Avoid fish unless you have mercury/radiation free fish in Oz then eat 2 salmon steaks per week no more than 250g each.. Eat a 300g piece of chicken breast or grassfed beef per day." part of a vegan diet????.

I have no issue with people being vegan but You Must Do advice always grates on me - especially when so much of it is nonsense.