Man to Man: A Support System for Men (part 2)

Options

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Back off sister, this is the He-man woman hater's club. No estrogen allowed. :happy:

Ok, you can peek I guess. We're gonna look like Chippendale's dancers pretty soon, so I don't blame you

<<JK of course CR>>
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Haha yep I'm guilty as charged........I love peeking in from time to time! :tongue:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    In here CR you can peek, just not speak :P

When that came to my mind, I had to say it. :)
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wow, don't hate on our only cheerleader! :wink:

Oh, and in case you've missed it, check out our buddy Umpire57's (aka Teroknor) other post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103048-people-like-comparative-picture-topics-therefore

He's a rockstar! :bigsmile:
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Duplicate post- Sorry
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Thanks gale. But I think CR can handle herself. I am not worried.
  • onwisconsn
    Options
    bump for recipe
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Don't worry onwisconsn, This post normally don't need too many "bumps". It can usually stay on top on it's own.
  • CasperO
    Options
    Yes, but by bumping our dairy farming friend gets the thread on his "My Topics" list, which makes it easy for him to find later.

What recipe?

Ooo ya, update. No progress-no loss. Teaching moto school for a couple weekends, which is a lot of work and is rewarded with epic chow making it a break even deal except for the gains in stamina and heat tolerance. Weight this AM 203 lbs, which is no change. Need to measure the waist again.

Almost done remodeling nursery, and no moto classes in month of July. I'll have more time for biking soon and maybe make some headway. Or not, W/E, it's all good.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Update - haven't weighed myself, but I'm pretty sore. I started this guy's lifting routine in attempt to get big muscles:

http://www.skiplacour.com/max_ot_routine_home.htm

Lifting my heaviest these days, never really lifted really heavy in my life so its a first for me.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Been looking for a good strength routine. How do you determine how much weight to use on this routine? I see the reps required but not what is the weight range to attempt,

I have a tournament this weekend so while I will be skipping my Saturday gym workout, I by no means will not be exercising.

Umpiring 10-15 Fastpitch softball games should be workout enough for me :)
  • CasperO
    Options
    Mass building weights routines are 'until failure'. So if the routine says 2 sets of 6 - well,,, Basically, if you can do 8 without massive cheating, add 5 pounds. Each set should end with you straining at maximum effort and physically unable to do another rep. They don't call it 'house of pain' 'cause they play bad 90's music ya' know. :laugh:
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Exactly! The weight will differ depending on your strength and you keeping going up if it gets easy enough to do more than 6 reps so initially if you're not sure how much weight to do you spend a week or so experimenting with weights, if you can't at least do 4 reps, the weight is too high.

It's interesting, while you're lifting it's pretty tough, but since you don't go too high you don't really get that muscle exhaustion feeling at the end of the workout so you feel like you didn't do enough... but the next day you're so I guess it works. Also be sure you're not a member of that "no grunting" gym, b/c you will definitely grunt. I was grunting doing squats and leg press, not intentionally, it just happens.

My concern is I might need to buy one of those belts for the waist to ensure I don't hurt my back. You think that'd be a good idea?
  • CasperO
    Options
    I've never used them. When you exercise you're working your whole body, including your core. Wearing a support belt just gives your abs and lower back a break that they don't need and probably shouldn't have. Do you really want to have the quads to squat 400 but abs that can only handle 350?
  • Umpire57
    Options
    Ok, Now for the "poor me" post but if I want answers I have to ask.

Right now I am pretty much doing strictly 1 hour of elliptical in the morning for "exercise"

It is easily log-able and that is the time I have allotted. I have tried to get up a bit earlier this week and add a stretch routine and 3 sets on the ab weight machine beforehand.

Most days,I get off work at 5 and have to be at the park to officiate at 6 or 6:30 and officiate till 9-10 (Between 5-6 is when I eat and get ready)

I do have Wednesday nights off and occasionally other nights but in-season not many M,T, Th or Fri do I not have games.

How would you change up your routine to include weight training without giving up on the cardio training?

Also, I need to incorporate weight training that does not require a spotter as I go alone therefore squats are out.

I usually try to get to the gym by 6 and leave by 7:35 showered and ready for work. With the streach training I have been trying to get there about 5:40 or so.

With going to bed in the 11 range (I need time to wind down after officiating) I really don't want to get up any earlier than I am now - 5:15-5:30.
  • CasperO
    Options
    You can knock out some semblence the 300 workout in about 15 to 20 minutes, and it pounds the snot outta you and will make you a beast. 3 mornings a week is plenty, and 2 would do it pretty well.

Google it.
  • Umpire57
    Options
    That is just about perfect for what I was looking for. The odds of me actually completing it are like zero right now but once I get time to fully Google the techniques and what not I am going to give it a try.

Only thing is, I am not sure I can currently do one pull up :(

Casper - Once again, You are the Man!
  • CasperO
    Options
    The Men's Health article has substitutions for those of us who aren't quite there yet. Also has great little in-browser video clips of how to do the moves. Good stuff,,,

Here ya' go: http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/workout-plans/muscle-building/article/5e1790ecab7e1110vgnvcm20000012281eac
  • stickybumpz
    stickybumpz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys. New around here but looking for some support and challenges. Looking forward to getting healthier with you all.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To all the weight training guys I con't help but remind you that while amount of weight lifted has some bearing, your form is the most importent thing. Lift slowly and with purpose and you will get the best results. Also from past experience you will have fewer injuries. I had a friend who used to brag about lifting 60 lbs in his curls and doing 5 sets, sounded great until I watched him, He was swinging all over the place and only getting about a tenth of the workout he should have.
    Casper I have never seen this 300 workout, I'll have to check it out thanks.