hair loss and stall out

Options
Im a 54 year old female. Started mfp Jan 2012. I've lost 85 pounds. I was losing a pound a week. It suddenly stopped 8 weeks ago. haven't lost anything. Im 36 pounds from goal. I tried upping my calories as suggested. That didn't make a difference. Im up and down with a pound or two but I can't seem to get the losing process going again. I exercise everyday. Aerobics and walking/treadmill.
The hair loss is very concerning. Does anyone have any answers? And yes, Ive been to my doctor and a dietitian. They don't seem to know either.

Replies

• barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm 43. When I had my 20 pound weight loss last summer, I too lost a lot of hair. Other members suggested biotin supplements. I've been taking them and my hair is growing back. Give it a shot!
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I find that limiting carbs helps when I need to kick start the loss again. So cut out breads, pasta, etc. and then gradually add them back in.

Regarding the hair loss, since you've seen your doctor, I'm assuming you are getting enough vitamins and minerals so I am at a loss there. That was my problem a few years back when I had other medical issues.

Good luck!
  • cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking Biotin for a couple weeks now..so far, no change..hopefully this is just a temporary thing and it will grow back..
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about carbs.. Ive tried that..didn't help..also regarding the hair loss..some people suggested Biotin so Ive been taking that for a couple of weeks but haven't noticed a difference yet..I do have a thyroid disorder and take medication for it..my levels are normal..I take a multivitamin and calcium plus vitamin d supplement daily..
    Thanks for your response.
  • Azhei
    Azhei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000mcg of Biotin daily. I have fine thin hair and after GB surgery I lost a lot, and now with reduced calories, it didn't come back very well... since I started taking the Biotin 6 months after surgery until now it is a lot better.. It will never be thick and wavy but at least it isnt' as sparce as it was... bonus that my nails are a lot harder and don't break/crack any more.

You have to be taking biotin for a few months before you will see a big change in your hair... if you don't absorb as well as you once did it takes a bit longer, but I find it works for me.

Good luck! Hang in there thru a stall - it happens - but the bonus is you usually go down inches-wise. :smile:
  • redwolf6
    redwolf6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was losing my hair as well and I increased my protein intake to about 100g per day. The hair is growing back.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said that when you lose weight too rapidly that hair loss is a symptom of that. You see if a lot sometimes when someone has gastric bypass as well. I would recheck with your doctor/nutritionist again because they should be able to find something.
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Regarding the hair loss, do you track your sodium intake? I realized when I joined MFP that my sodium was intake very high (and that didn't even account for my table salt use). I began tracking sodium here on MFP and stopped using table salt. About a month later I realized an unexpected side effect was that I wasn't having the hair issue any longer. I can't say for sure that that is the reason, but with the timing ~ I feel it had something to do with it. Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of hair when I was eating under my BMR. As soon as I went above my BMR again, it stopped and eventually grew back.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Im a 54 year old female. Started mfp Jan 2012. I've lost 85 pounds. I was losing a pound a week. It suddenly stopped 8 weeks ago. haven't lost anything. Im 36 pounds from goal. I tried upping my calories as suggested. That didn't make a difference. Im up and down with a pound or two but I can't seem to get the losing process going again. I exercise everyday. Aerobics and walking/treadmill.
    The hair loss is very concerning. Does anyone have any answers? And yes, Ive been to my doctor and a dietitian. They don't seem to know either.

What was your calorie goal before? What did you up it to? How long have you been eating at the new higher goal? What is your height, weight and goal weight? What is your TDEE and BMR?

Maybe you are still not eating enough. Maybe you have not given your body enough time to adjust to the new higher level of calories. Obviously there was quite a bit of stress on your body to cause the hair loss, your body needs time to recover.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Frustrating! But you might need to give this quite a bit more time. Plateaus can be stubborn, but eventually, burning more calories than you consume will work. Interval training can be helpful for this. I saw one woman on MFP who had a yearlong plateau before she started going down again, after a very big weight loss like yours.

Not sure where you are regarding menopause, but that's also a cause of hair loss. It might have little or nothing to do with weight loss.
  • patty43ck
    patty43ck Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hair loss: Have you been under a highly stressful situation lately? I had that happen to me about 2 years ago. I was going through a very stressful situation and started losing my hair like crazy. It was scary!! Good news was once the stress went away the hair started growing back. Hopefully that is not the case with you because it was not fun!

Stress can also affect weight loss as well. Cortisol builds up and makes it difficult to lose weight.
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cindy, I went to the doc for hair loss and they did some tests on me. Turns out my vitamin D was very low. I would definitely go to the doc and make sure you don't have something health wise causing this!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hair loss: Have you been under a highly stressful situation lately? I had that happen to me about 2 years ago. I was going through a very stressful situation and started losing my hair like crazy. It was scary!! Good news was once the stress went away the hair started growing back. Hopefully that is not the case with you because it was not fun!

Stress can also affect weight loss as well. Cortisol builds up and makes it difficult to lose weight.

And diet and exercise also causes stress and cortisol, it is not only emotional stress that releases cortisol.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    You might be right..I have allowed this 8 week stallout and my hair loss to stress me out almost to obsessive levels..Im trying to destress a little..thanks for your feedback
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Ive been post menopausal for several years now..I really think it has something to do with weight loss or something I'm missing in my diet..its probably missing all the fat and sugar I used to give it: )
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    When you say you "upped your calories" have you calculated your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and are you now eating only 10% or 15% below that amount?

The reason I ask is because most people who here who have symptoms like hair loss, chipping nails, cessation/irregularities in TOM, etc. have an extended period of eating very low calories. So for example if you are like the typical/average woman and burn at least 2200 calories a day, then eating 10% below is 1980 calories a day. So if for example you dieted on 1200 calories then "upped" your calories to only 1500 a day, your body doesn't see much difference between 1200 and 1500 in the sense that they are both inadequate and will cause health problems and they are going to cause the body to prioritize things like feeding your vital organs over lower priorities such as feeding your hair and nails.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Menopause was just what I was going to say. I was talking with a few ladies in my office and they were telling me that their hair was getting finer and they even lost eyelashes due to menopause! I'm only 48 so that is just freaking me out now!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I was losing my hair as well and I increased my protein intake to about 100g per day. The hair is growing back.

^^This. Low protein levels is one of the biggest causes of hair loss. When you cut calories, too many people cut their proteins down too low.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i seen you have a thyroid problem that can cause problems with your hair ect my mum had to get her meds checked and given a different amount which helped her