hair loss and stall out

Options

Replies

• cindyjoesousa
    cindyjoesousa Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Macros? And I already take a multivitamin with iron everyday..Isn't that enough?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Bump for later means the person wants to follow this topic, maybe doesn't have time to read it all now or reply now, so they post something, "bump" in this case, so it will appear in their "My Topics" and they will be able to find this thread again. Otherwise it would be lost in the million posts a day.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    I had my settings on sedentary when I started in 2012 because I have a desk job..but I work 12 hr shifts so I only work 3 days a week..Im pretty active the other days of the week..In Jan of this year I changed it to light activity because thats what so many people recommended I do..

I didn't mean to offend you by calling it "your method"..I do realize it isn't "your method".. I also want to do this the healthy way..I've always followed the mfp settings and entered the data to the best of my ability. The example they give you says if you have a desk job to choose sedentary..

I also plan to go on maintenance once I reach my goal..For whatever reason my body has decided to take a break..I am trying to understand what happened and correct it..

Thanks for your help Miss Bettyeditor
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Deficiencies and Hair Loss

Following a very regimented diet and losing weight rapidly can create a vitamin deficiency in many cases, which can cause a person's chemical balance to be thrown off, thereby leading to temporary hair loss. Some of these diets also contain too much or too little vitamin A, which also results in temporary hair loss. One problem with diets, even those recommended by a doctor, is that many of them concentrate on lowering caloric intake or carbohydrates but fail to consider the nutrient intake, so the dieter begins to develop deficiencies in his diet resulting in multiple symptoms, hair loss being one that is very noticeable. Zinc, vitamin B12 and biotin are three nutrients that people need in order to have a healthy head of hair. Without them, the hair goes into a resting stage and begins to fall out. Until the deficiencies are dealt with, the hair will not grow back. A zinc deficiency will result in changes in the scalp, dandruff being a good example. This is because zinc is used in cell division and it helps the body to produce proteins and collagen, both of which are needed in the skin and hair follicles to keep them strong and healthy. To add more zinc to your diet you can eat wheat germ, muscle meats, fish and egg yolks. Vitamin B12 helps form healthy red blood cells, which transport oxygen to all parts of the body, including the scalp and the hair follicles. Add it to your diet through eggs, meat and poultry. Biotin makes the hair and skin healthy and supple. Brewer's yeast, brown rice, bulgur, green peas, lentils, oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds and walnuts can all provide biotin in the diet.

Protein, Iron and Iodine

While on a special diet to lose weight, a person's protein intake is usually too low. The end result is that the body has to conserve its remaining protein and does so by forcing the hair into the resting phase. Two or three months later that resting hair begins to fall out. This is reversible by adding proteins to the diet. Meat proteins are the best but there are vegetarian sources as well, such as, nuts, seeds and beans. Also, having low iron in your blood can cause the hair to fall out, so the dieter needs to supplement with iron-rich foods such as soybeans, pumpkin seeds, white beans, lentils, spinach, clams, oysters and organ meat. Anorexia nervosa and bulimia are eating disorders that can leach necessary nutrients out of the system, causing hair loss to occur. Iodine is another essential nutrient for healthy hair growth. Salt is iodized for this reason, but unfortunately the iodine in salt is difficult to digest, making it hard to assimilate into the system where it can do the most good. Liquid iodine supplements are better.

Read more: What Causes Hair Loss During Dieting? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4681047_causes-hair-loss-during-dieting.html#ixzz2RVRFbMT4
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Yes..I did eat back my exercise calories..but the net is still the same.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Have your thyroid checked. Hair loss is common I hypothyroidism . One common place to lose hair beside on your head is the outer edges of your eyebrows. Also, tiredness and forgetfulness are common. You also retain water particularly in the belly region. Start measuring lower abs too.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Thank you for this but I did not have rapid weight loss..It took me over a year to lose the weight..I eat more than the required protein amount..and I take vitamins and biotin daily
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    I do have hypothyroidism and have been on medication for it for years..I have my levels checked every 6 months and they are always within the normal range.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You can lower your carbs and increase your fats and proteins in proportion.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    I see..thank you..Ive learned alot today: )
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Macros? And I already take a multivitamin with iron everyday..Isn't that enough?

Macro nutrients (e.g. iron, vitamin A-D). MFP will show you how you are doing with various macros, the mobile app is MUCH better at getting a listing of all your macros. The number depends on a number of factors so I would just look at see chow lose you are getting to RDA in MFP. Vitamin D, B, and iron are important for hair.

BTW - to get to the list of macros in the mobile app, go to the home screen (where you see the news feed) and choose the Daily tab. It will list everything for your day.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would think you just aren't getting enough nutrients.. =/ did you get blood work done? I'd go check out multivitamins if you don't already take any find something age appropriate.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Ive been taking Biotin for a couple weeks now..so far, no change..hopefully this is just a temporary thing and it will grow back..

Takes 4-5 months to see the benefits of it. Also make sure your dosage is high enough.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    Thank you.
  • shellyb17
    shellyb17 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just want to say that I have been taking Biotin as well (1,000 mcg/daily), I didn't notice any difference in hair growth until at least a few months into my daily dose. I still see zero nail growth.
  • cindyjoesousa
    Options
    I just looked at my iron..some days Im over, some days Im under..thanks for helping me take notice of that!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options

Macro nutrients (e.g. iron, vitamin A-D). MFP will show you how you are doing with various macros, the mobile app is MUCH better at getting a listing of all your macros. The number depends on a number of factors so I would just look at see chow lose you are getting to RDA in MFP. Vitamin D, B, and iron are important for hair.

BTW - to get to the list of macros in the mobile app, go to the home screen (where you see the news feed) and choose the Daily tab. It will list everything for your day.
    ... I thought macro-nutrients were carbs, fats, proteins and (alcohol) and micro nutrients were: iron, vitamins.... dry scalp sometimes can be from not being hydrated or not enough healthy fats in your diet. You can also let coconut oil rest in your scalp before you take a shower for an hour or so as a pre-conditioner.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this but I did not have rapid weight loss..It took me over a year to lose the weight..I eat more than the required protein amount..and I take vitamins and biotin daily

My vote is for stress. Last year, my sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer, my husband skin cancer, I lost my beloved dog of 13 years (i hate to call him a dog because he was way more than that) and we brought in a box from the garage and little did we know, it was home to a 3 foot rat snake, which decided to greet me on day in the hall while my husband was out of town. My hair was falling out in handfuls. I would sweep up what looked like a softball sized furball from me every day. After my life calmed down and I stopped googling myself into organ failure (oh yeah, a dr misdiagnosed me with lupus) my hair stopped falling out and now I have 3 inches of hair sticking straight up all over my head, which is funny because my hair is around 2 feet long.

I know it is not easy to tell someone to relax and just do it. I had to change my train of thought every time it went to a place that made me stressed. I took valarian root and drank kava tea. I also was taking a natural anti depressant called 5HTP that helped a great deal (not to be taken if on an antidepressant already).

And of course the number one thing to do to ease stress? Exercise. Even if it is 50 jumping jacks, 50 sit up and jogging in place for 50 seconds. It helps wash the cortisol out of your body.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes..I did eat back my exercise calories..but the net is still the same.

It takes a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories per week to lose 1 pound a week. Which works out to 500 calories a day. You create this deficit by eating less or exercising more, or a combination of both. (If you are trying to lose 2 pounds per week, the deficit would be 7,000 cals per week, 1,000 cals a day)

MFP is set up so that it assumes you will do no exercise, it sets you so that you would lose that many pounds per week by diet alone. Then when you exercise, you need to eat more to fuel that exercise.

So, if your TDEE is 2,200 then to lose 1 pound a week you would eat 2,200-500 = 1,700 That is 1,700 all together, this includes exercise calories, they are part of TDEE already.

Or, you could get that same deficit with combined diet and exercise.... 2,200-250= 1,950 in food and burning 250 in exercise = 1,700.

MFP wanted you to eat 1,400 + exercise calories. On days that you exercised, maybe you would eat 1,400 + 300 = 1,700 (example)

Does it make sense if I describe it that way?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

... I thought macro-nutrients were carbs, fats, proteins and (alcohol) and micro nutrients were: iron, vitamins.... dry scalp sometimes can be from not being hydrated or not enough healthy fats in your diet. You can also let coconut oil rest in your scalp before you take a shower for an hour or so as a pre-conditioner.

You are right on the macros. :wink: