So...Pre-Nups...are bad??

Options
TheRightWeigh
TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
I have a question that is totally NOT about weight loss, but just want to get some viewpoints. Why is a pre-nup seen as a bad or offensive thing to some. It's like: "Oh they are such a beautiful couple, she really found a good oman, BUT you know he had her sign a pre-nup." Cue pearls being clutched and gasps of pity. I don't think a pre-nup means that someone is anticipating a divorce or anything like that. I just think it's a smart thing to do...if the terms are fair to both parties, of course. If I were to come to a marriage with considerably less than the person I married. I wouldn't think I was entitled to anything I didn't work for or help with. So I wouldn't mind signing a very well-prepared, airtight and FAIR pre-nup. I mean, why would I feel entitled to someone else's income...just because I married them. I feel like if you divorce them, you divorce the money. Maybe I don't have a correct understanding of pre-nuptial agreements? *shrug*

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    IF YOU DON'T, SHE WILL GET HALF YOUR STUFF FOOL!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    b/c having a brain is not romantic.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm an accountant, not a romantic. That's an important distinction, here... But if either party has assets worth protecting, I firmly believe in pre-nups.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind signing a pre-nup as long as the conditions in it were fair. It should state that in case of a divorce I get everything.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    They are not bad, I would never get married without one.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind signing a pre-nup as long as the conditions in it were fair. It should state that in case of a divorce I get everything.

Seems legit.
    Are you going to make me sign this stupid contract??
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options

Seems legit.
    Are you going to make me sign this stupid contract??
    You already did silly. You should really start reading stuff before you sign it.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    They are not bad, I would never get married without one.

Not even to me?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I understand them if either party has sizeable assets before entering into the marriage, but for the average John Smith and Jane Doe, they're completely unnecessary.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I understand them if either party has sizeable assets before entering into the marriage, but for the average John Smith and Jane Doe, they're completely unnecessary.
    ^This. Lea is always right.
  • BeinAwesome247
    BeinAwesome247 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with them - with divorce rates as high as they are I think it's just logical.

For example, the guy I'm seeing already has a pretty nice savings acct and 401k started. Say things actually progress and we get married. I don't feel I'm automatically entitled to that money at all and would not be offended if he asked for a simple prenup. Hopefully it'd never need to be used but hey, *kitten* happens
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's smart if both people are reasonable. It falls apart when people start thinking emotionally about it. The same people freaking out about a pre-nup would also have issues getting a life insurance plan, the reason is those things force them to think about the possible grim end of the marriage or life. Just case there is a worst case scenario plan in place doesn't mean that is the only way things will go.

I knew a couple who had one which was setup to dissolve after 18 years. Well husband was back early from business trip and walked into a hot and steamy love session in his living room. Turns out it was an ex-bf who she was on and off with for a bunch of years. So husband got to walk free from being stuck with her student loans that were in the six figures.

So like I said it's a reasonable thing to do seeing that nowadays your wedding has a 50/50 chance on lasting.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My husband and I don't have one. But we already said that it's homicide or suicide.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with them, they defend both parties, and those that usually get them have a lot of reasons to get them. :smokin:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

i don't know. this reminds me of a Chris Rock bit about pre-nups:

“Prenuptial agreement....Everybody needs a prenup. People think you gotta be rich to get a prenup. Oh, no! You make $20 million...and your wife gets 10: big deal you ain't starving. But if you make $30,000 and your wife wants 15..you might have to kill her.”

(the context was around the O.J. Simpson/ Nicole murder - which explains the punchline)
  • Grumpy2208
    Options
    A prenuptial agreement is an agreement between two people that deals with the financial consequences of their marriage ending.

All marrying couples have a “prenuptial agreement” – it is known as “divorce law.” However, a lot of people are unhappy with the way divorce law works, and prefer to take control of their lives, rather than leave it in the hands of the government. In these cases, it makes a lot of sense to get a customized prenup.

Getting a prenuptial agreement is particularly important in these 8 cases:

1. You are much wealthier than your partner. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that your partner is marrying you for who you are, and not for your money.

2. You earn much more than your partner. A prenuptial agreement can be used in many states to limit the amount of alimony that is payable.

3. You are remarrying. When you remarry, your legal and financial concerns are often very different than in your first marriage. You may have children from a previous marriage, support obligations, and own a home or other significant assets. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that when you pass away, your assets are distributed according to your wishes, and that neither your first family, nor your new family are cut off.

4. Your partner has a high debt load. If you are marrying someone with a significant debt load, and don’t want to be responsible for these debts if your marriage ends, then a prenuptial agreement can help ensure that this does not happen.

5. You own part of a business. Without a prenuptial agreement, when your marriage ends, your spouse could end up owning a share of your business. Your business partners may not want this to happen. A prenup can ensure that your spouse does not become an unwanted partner in your business.

6. To prevent your spouse from overturning your estate plan. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that your estate plan works, and, for instance, ensure that a specific heirloom remains in your family.

7. You are much poorer than your partner. Just as a prenuptial agreement can be used to protect a spouse who is well off, a prenup can also be used to ensure that the partner who is weaker financially is protected.

8. If you plan to quit your job to raise children. Quitting your job will negatively impact your income and your wealth. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that the financial burden of raising the children is shared fairly by both partners.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i don't know. this reminds me of a Chris Rock bit about pre-nups:

“Prenuptial agreement....Everybody needs a prenup. People think you gotta be rich to get a prenup. Oh, no! You make $20 million...and your wife gets 10: big deal you ain't starving. But if you make $30,000 and your wife wants 15..you might have to kill her.”

(the context was around the O.J. Simpson/ Nicole murder - which explains the punchline)

Right. Half of a modest fortune is much more impactful than half a millionaire's trove. I don't want to STRUGGLE just because she get's half of whatever.

Now if one party has an financially blows up or really works hard for something and accrues wealth during the marriage. Does that entitle the other party to that money. Because they were "there".
    Scenario: We get married. I find the secret to cold fusion and renewable nuclear energy. I'm now Bill Gates rich, but she starts sleeping with the pool boy. I catch them. We divorce. She was "there" ...does she have claim to a piece of my empire!? This scenario also makes me want a pre-nup whether I'm rich going in or not.
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    A prenuptial agreement is an agreement between two people that deals with the financial consequences of their marriage ending.

All marrying couples have a “prenuptial agreement” – it is known as “divorce law.” However, a lot of people are unhappy with the way divorce law works, and prefer to take control of their lives, rather than leave it in the hands of the government. In these cases, it makes a lot of sense to get a customized prenup.

Getting a prenuptial agreement is particularly important in these 8 cases:

1. You are much wealthier than your partner. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that your partner is marrying you for who you are, and not for your money.

2. You earn much more than your partner. A prenuptial agreement can be used in many states to limit the amount of alimony that is payable.

3. You are remarrying. When you remarry, your legal and financial concerns are often very different than in your first marriage. You may have children from a previous marriage, support obligations, and own a home or other significant assets. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that when you pass away, your assets are distributed according to your wishes, and that neither your first family, nor your new family are cut off.

4. Your partner has a high debt load. If you are marrying someone with a significant debt load, and don’t want to be responsible for these debts if your marriage ends, then a prenuptial agreement can help ensure that this does not happen.

5. You own part of a business. Without a prenuptial agreement, when your marriage ends, your spouse could end up owning a share of your business. Your business partners may not want this to happen. A prenup can ensure that your spouse does not become an unwanted partner in your business.

6. To prevent your spouse from overturning your estate plan. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that your estate plan works, and, for instance, ensure that a specific heirloom remains in your family.

7. You are much poorer than your partner. Just as a prenuptial agreement can be used to protect a spouse who is well off, a prenup can also be used to ensure that the partner who is weaker financially is protected.

8. If you plan to quit your job to raise children. Quitting your job will negatively impact your income and your wealth. A prenuptial agreement can ensure that the financial burden of raising the children is shared fairly by both partners.

See now I'd be bringing a child into the equation. I don't have a very large life insurance policy but still I do have one and she is the beneficiary - I wouldn't want that to change honestly

Thankfully I do NOT have a lot of debt - less than most
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It is simple in society women want their cake and eat it too. They want equal rights but want the benefits of the old ways. The whole marriage thing has always been a religious ceremony. Only when the Gov got involved did it become about assets. In the eyes of the law it is 50/50 yet 99% of the time women make out in a divorce.

So what is it for the man? The laws are biased against him, he loses wealth....so if it is truly about love why not do a prenuptial? `
  • BeinAwesome247
    Options
    It is simple in society women want their cake and eat it too. They want equal rights but want the benefits of the old ways. The whole marriage thing has always been a religious ceremony. Only when the Gov got involved did it become about assets. In the eyes of the law it is 50/50 yet 99% of the time women make out in a divorce.

So what is it for the man? The laws are biased against him, he loses wealth....so if it is truly about love why not do a prenuptial? `

no bitterness in that post at all :huh: