Bob Harper's "Jumpstart to Skinny"...anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• bizgee
    bizgee Posts: 4
    Options
    @LaraMc71 Great idea! How many pumps are you using?

Wanted to add that taking your measurements is helpful. I didn't lose any more lbs. this AM but noticed that my measurements have dropped somewhat significantly. That was enough to help keep me on the path.

Honestly, while there are some delicious dishes, at this point I'm very much looking forward to Week Two's menu. I am someone who needs to mix it up foodwise and I'm grateful that Bob Harper thought of that.

Best of luck to those who are also trying this plan!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    8NZU6Dg.gif
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    So is he pretending that veggies don't have calories if you're allowed to snack on them when you want?
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7u5e3CZqO1r8rtom.gif

It's a set-up for failure.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    there is no way I am going to eat ONLY 800 calories a day.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    So basically this diet is just eat clean and healthy and nutrient dense veggies? I.E common sense? cool. I should write a book.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump for curiosity's sake
  • bizgee
    bizgee Posts: 4
    Options
    No, veggies have calories and carbs.

The plan is 40/40/20 protein, carbs and fats. You need these. Then you add veggies and there is a list he's specific about, along with limited fruit. He says that veggies are fiber rich and low in calories, which will help you stay on this short term plan, fill you up and assist with losing weight. There are no potatoes on the list, for instance, and the plan is heavy on greens. Additionally, it illustrates how to replace a lot of the processed carbs many rely on, showing you ways to integrate more fresh produce once you return to your regular way of eating or skinny rules if continuing with his day-to-day approach after the 3 week period ends.

Skinny Rules may be what you're seeking if you want ways to approach lifestyle changes that are reasonable and fit within a normal schedule. Or there may be another approach that works for you. My only intent in coming here was to test this plan and find some support.
  • LaraMc71
    LaraMc71 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bizgee - The lid pumps air into the sprayer, I would say you get about a quarter teaspoon per pump-up.
  • pure_of_heart
    pure_of_heart Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So is he pretending that veggies don't have calories if you're allowed to snack on them when you want?

Not at all. The list happens to be very low in calories. I find it hard to believe anyone would go over a 100 calories in just one snack of his list. Plus, the list are the vegetables that are mostly water and fiber, which is probably another reason he doesn't see the addition having a major slow down in your weight loss.
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    tumblr_m7u5e3CZqO1r8rtom.gif

It's a set-up for failure.

This is indeed a set up for failure if you're an emotional eater who when deprived processed grains, sugar and dairy fat will feel so deprived you're prone to binge. As I'm one of those types, part of the reason I am trying to stick to this for 3 weeks is to start to break that cycle.

It is also going to fail if you don't have the time to shop and prepare ALL your meals. (No eating out)

Again, this is NOT supposed to be a way of eating for life. If you read the book, he specifically says this and explains he's targeting the people who are so desperate to lose weight for some event they would normally turn to one of those crazy cabbage soup type diets and screw up their metabolism. Or for those like myself, who want a "cold turkey" program to start to break the food addiction aspect. At end of the program, he recommends his program that is sustainable for life.
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    So basically this diet is just eat clean and healthy and nutrient dense veggies? I.E common sense? cool. I should write a book.

If you have some kick-*kitten* and tasty recipes, go for it ! I've never knew "clean eating" could be so easy and yummy!
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    So a couple of days into week 2... lost a total so far of 10 pounds. On Saturday, a friend who had no idea I was on a diet who had just seen me the Saturday before commented how they could tell I lost weight. I suspect she was noticing the loss water weight, some of which I think is in my face. In other words, I don't believe for one second I lost 10lbs of fat... but volume is volume and given part of my goal is to look good... mission accomplished!

As far as long term goals, I've broken my daily habit of having my coffee with those flavored creamers. This little change will make a difference for me. In past, I loved them so much, I'd allow for the calories in my daily diet... now when I'm off his program, I personally will have an extra 100 calories each day to go towards a food that is more nutritious as well as satisfying.

I didn't care for the Kale salad. I don't know if it is because the kale I had was tougher because not as fresh or I just prefer it cooked. I will have to get creative with all the left over kale in that bag as I know kids don't like it. Which is another thing to keep in mind with his meal plan, you can't always buy the small quantity a recipe calls for that week at the store. He does often have recipes that week that use the other half of that avocado for example (store in a bag with lemon juice to keep from browning), but you might have left-overs. The fruit, I freeze for future smoothies... and the veggies, I am thinking about finding a recipe for a low-calorie soup for them that I can freeze to use when I'm off his program.

Also didn't LOVE the "scrambled pasta" so not saving that recipe. But for sure the "Pizza Toast" and "Quinoatmeal" is now in my permanent rotation.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity (I have not read the book), can anyone give me some examples of the nutrion dense foods? And examples of those expensive and hard to find foods? Thanks!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    veggie veggies veggies fruit NON PROCESSED food lots of eggs greek yogurt turkey beans
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    Just out of curiosity (I have not read the book), can anyone give me some examples of the nutrion dense foods? And examples of those expensive and hard to find foods? Thanks!

Nutrition dense foods: Lots (like 5 cups in one meal lots) of green leafy vegetables... broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, tomatoes, berries, apples, avocado (also a fat)... then lots of bulky veggies like squash, zucchini. Protein includes salmon, haddock, and boneless/skinless turkey & chicken breasts as well as eggs and walnuts. Complex carbs focus on quinoa (required a trip to Whole Foods for me), Ezekial bread (in the special frozen "health section" at my store and more expensive than regular bread) and whole wheat pasta (50% more expensive than regular pasta in my store).

I've heard that some local stores don't carry persian cucumbers. My store didn't have spaghetti squash yet and was out of Swiss chard the day I shopped but had it the next day.

The herbs can get expensive too... I relied mostly on dried ones I already own as I hate wasting and that is what would have happened as some recipes only call for a tablespoon and you have about 2 cups worth!
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Nutrition dense foods: Lots (like 5 cups in one meal lots) of green leafy vegetables... broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, tomatoes, berries, apples, avocado (also a fat)... then lots of bulky veggies like squash, zucchini. Protein includes salmon, haddock, and boneless/skinless turkey & chicken breasts as well as eggs and walnuts. Complex carbs focus on quinoa (required a trip to Whole Foods for me), Ezekial bread (in the special frozen "health section" at my store and more expensive than regular bread) and whole wheat pasta (50% more expensive than regular pasta in my store).

I've heard that some local stores don't carry persian cucumbers. My store didn't have spaghetti squash yet and was out of Swiss chard the day I shopped but had it the next day.

The herbs can get expensive too... I relied mostly on dried ones I already own as I hate wasting and that is what would have happened as some recipes only call for a tablespoon and you have about 2 cups worth!

Thanks for the answer! I tried Ezekial bread once (my local 'bio' store has it) and I must say it was not a hit! Apart from that it looks like a nice list of food.
  • linar98
    linar98 Posts: 4
    Options
    I started today. It is a calorie deficit diet by the recipes are delicious and I think it's a great way to get out of a plateau. In my case I'm exercising and eating healthy but I'm not losing that much weight anymore, so I'm doing this for 3 weeks and then continuing with healthy habits and exercise.
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mmm, I love the ezekiel bread with avocado on it....that might have a bit to do with how hungry I am once breakfast is ready though, ha....but the morning is the only time I'm finding myself very hungry. and I haven't even been eating the full portions at meal time! Most salads call for too much greens for me. Also, my arms are KILLing me from trying to do the metabolic training routines; I wasn't even able to do the full set of burpees and chair dips with jump rope, and my arms. are. killing me.

Regarding the Kale salad-- I had it on spinach instead of kale but the rest of the ingredients as listed, and it was quite tasty. Very complementary flavors.

Does anyone on the plan see any issue with swapping lunches and dinners for each other? I made an extra portion of the herbed turkey soup, easy lunch the next day, that way you aren't ONLY eating salads for lunch?

I made the turkey bolognese last night, yummmm, I will make that again soon to use the rest of the marinara. My fiancee gobbled it right up too!
  • pure_of_heart
    Options
    Does anyone on the plan see any issue with swapping lunches and dinners for each other? I made an extra portion of the herbed turkey soup, easy lunch the next day, that way you aren't ONLY eating salads for lunch?

I made the turkey bolognese last night, yummmm, I will make that again soon to use the rest of the marinara. My fiancee gobbled it right up too!

I've gotten sick of salads for lunch and switched out... they seem to be the same combo of simple carbs, protein and fat.... whereas breakfast works in the complex carb.

And I love the turkey bolognese! I had switched that out for a lunch last week when I was really tired of salads! It is another one of the recipes I intend to make a permanent part of diet!