How much do you squat?

Options
I'm new to squatting with weighted bar. Just curious to see how much other's squat? I know it will vary from person to person but I'm just trying to see where I am at with it. When squatting, I'd imagine you would also factor in the bar weight too, but I have no clue how much it weighs. Anyone know how much the bar weighs on a Smith Machine and also the free bar on the squat rack? I feel my strength building after only just a few weeks =)

So, I guess I'm looking for age, weight, what weight you start at and what weight do you end at and how many reps?
Thanks!

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    when i started squatting properly i was doing 135 for 5 reps to learn form, then moved to 175. at a body weight of ~207, i squatted 345 for one rep.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    smith machine bar weighs 35lbs, but it doesn't 'count' as a squat for purposes of comparison to anything but smith machine squats.

typical oympic 45lbs

Usually you should be able to squat your own bodyweight within a couple months.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of squatting. :)

The olympic bar is usually around 45 lbs, at least in my gym it is.

I started out with just bar, got the perfect form then added on 10 lb plates on each side every couple of workouts.
    I am 106lbs and I do an unassisted squat of 45lb bar + 60lb in plates = 105 (i squat my body weight).

Now with that said, it's not about the weight more than it is about your form. Don't compromise form for weight. No one is going to care how much you squat, your back and body will care if you do it wrong.

It also depends on your goals. If you are looking to gain muscle, like me, then I go for heavier weight/less reps. I do 4 sets of 6 reps. If I drop the weight to a 85lb squat I go for 4 sets of about 10 reps.

You will also want to vary your stance; wide, sumo, close, etc. Works different areas of the lower body.
    You will also want to try various holds: for instance my classic squat I do 105lbs but if I do front squat I do around 65 since it requires my arms to work as well.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My max is 425 lbs now. My starting max was 235 lbs in Sept 2012.

Form is more important than the weight you lift though!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Free weights, currently 130 lbs 5x5...I lift at home and have run out of plates and need to buy more :frown: . I have no idea what my 1 rep max is but I would LOVE to find out.
  • DostThouEven
    Options
    The bar weight on smith machines will vary. The one in the gym in my office is only 12lbs of actual resistance.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Use the free bar on a squat rack please....just for your sake
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    130lbs!! i weigh 160.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 years old, 181lbs, 5'6".

I started doing Strong Lifts about 6 months ago.

My current 1 rep max (the most I can lift one time) is 265lbs. That's not my working number - the number I'm doing in the program is currently 175. I started with the bar, which is 45lbs and worked my way up.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ok, so today I did reps of 5 for the following.

10lbs on each for 20lbs
    15lbs on each for 30lbs
    20lbs on each for 40lbs
    25lbs on each for 50lbs
    35lbs on each for 70lbs
    40lbs on each for 80lbs

Do I add the weight of the bar to each?

I feel like I have good form. I do not rush the squat. I go parallel or below (at least I think I do).
  • tatd_820
    Options

Why is the Smith Machine not recommended?
  • tatd_820
    Options
    Ok, so today I did reps of 5 for the following.

10lbs on each for 20lbs
    15lbs on each for 30lbs
    20lbs on each for 40lbs
    25lbs on each for 50lbs
    35lbs on each for 70lbs
    40lbs on each for 80lbs

Do I add the weight of the bar to each?

I feel like I have good form. I do not rush the squat. I go parallel or below (at least I think I do).

Oh...and weigh in at 172.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

The Smith Machine doesn't lend itself to natural movement, and could set you up for injury. It also does part of the work for you, so you're not getting the full benefit of the squat.

Also, using a barbell forces you to use more muscles, making it a true compound lift (which meas you are getting more benefits from it).

And yes, you add the weight of the bar. So, when I say that I'm squatting 175, that includes a 45lb bar plus another 130lbs put on it.
    As far as form goes, you may feel like you're perfect, but don't be afraid to ask someone to critique your form. You can take video and have someone look at it, ask someone in the gym (someone who looks like they know what they are doing), or you can join a lifting group on here for support.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

The path/range of motion is not natural and could lead to injury.

Additionally, the fact that the bar is guided means you don't have to stabilize it, which means fewer muscles are worked.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

The Smith Machine doesn't lend itself to natural movement, and could set you up for injury. It also does part of the work for you, so you're not getting the full benefit of the squat.

Also, using a barbell forces you to use more muscles, making it a true compound lift (which meas you are getting more benefits from it).

And yes, you add the weight of the bar. So, when I say that I'm squatting 175, that includes a 45lb bar plus another 130lbs put on it.
    As far as form goes, you may feel like you're perfect, but don't be afraid to ask someone to critique your form. You can take video and have someone look at it, ask someone in the gym (someone who looks like they know what they are doing), or you can join a lifting group on here for support.

beat me to it... so yea, that.
  • billyboybalbo
    Options
    bout tree fiddy
  • tatd_820
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of squatting. :)

The olympic bar is usually around 45 lbs, at least in my gym it is.

I started out with just bar, got the perfect form then added on 10 lb plates on each side every couple of workouts.
    I am 106lbs and I do an unassisted squat of 45lb bar + 60lb in plates = 105 (i squat my body weight).

Now with that said, it's not about the weight more than it is about your form. Don't compromise form for weight. No one is going to care how much you squat, your back and body will care if you do it wrong.

It also depends on your goals. If you are looking to gain muscle, like me, then I go for heavier weight/less reps. I do 4 sets of 6 reps. If I drop the weight to a 85lb squat I go for 4 sets of about 10 reps.

You will also want to vary your stance; wide, sumo, close, etc. Works different areas of the lower body.
    You will also want to try various holds: for instance my classic squat I do 105lbs but if I do front squat I do around 65 since it requires my arms to work as well.

GOOD LUCK!

I was guessing the bar was 35lbs or more. I was close! I've watched some video's online for form and info. I'm just so new to it and doing it on my own. Looking for all the info I can get. Thanks for taking time to explain! I've been doing front loading squats too but I've only been holding 10lb plates on the shoulders (to the front) and doing reps of 10 for 3 or 4 sets.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    29yrs, 97.5kg at the time of the video, Front Squat 191kg, 15yrs trainig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgLpAzGfH0I

My recent best is 180kg for 3, 4, 3 and 2 reps when I weighed about 92kg.

Koing
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

These posts are pretty snarky, but the point comes across that it doesn't allow you to use true form and does a chunk of the work (stabilizing the weight) for you:
    http://www.liftbigeatbig.com/2012/09/squats-barbell-vs-smith-machine.html
    http://stronglifts.com/smith-machine-squats-power-rack-free-weights/
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    my biggest problem is that i cant actually lift anything heavier than 40lb to put on my shoulders!