Having some digestive issues...need advice.

Options
124»

Replies

• egwene1977
    Options
    I had a detoxifying tea the other day because I was having this problem. I'm not a huge believer in doing a "detox" but my birthday was last weekend and I think the celebrating (alcohol and waaaay too much food) really threw my system for a loop. Anyways, I think the tea kind of helped get everything moving again within about 30 minutes.

*I used Arbonne brand detox tea with a teaspoon of honey, it's Vegan (certified organic, caffeine free etc)

Sounds another another good one to add to the list :)
  • egwene1977
    Options
    Try drinking a cup of coffee in the morning. I add a capfull of Miralax to mine as recommended by my Gyno. It works :)

That's an interesting alternative to creamer :) I just might try this one tomorrow. Thanks!
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    1 in 4 people have parasites. I go to a naturopath, and she has told me that the first sign of parasites is constipation! I know it sounds yucky....but there are some really great ( and gentle) cleanses that you can do that are all herbal. It wouldn't hurt, and might help! I use Para-gone about once a year.....since I have young children, dogs.....HTH!

*Edit to add: You can also up your dose of probiotic to 2x/day!!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    and your magnesium may be a bit on the low side, which can cause constipation.

This is definitely true, and is also tied to your calcium intake; the balance between the two of these is very important. If you love dairy (and I do--cheese makes life worth living) and also take a calcium supplement as a lot of women do, your calcium is likely too high and your magnesium too low. You are probably getting plenty of calcium from your diet and don't need to supplement. Also, the current US guidelines for magnesium are quite probably too low. I stopped supplementing calcium and aim for twice the magnesium to calcium each day, and that has helped enormously to resolve long-term, chronic problems with this. Older nutrition guidelines recommended higher magnesium to calcium.

Also, recent research has shown that too much calcium, particularly from taking supplements, is linked to higher risk of heart attack.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304708604577502660615577758.html

Try adding Fiber and Calcium to your trackers for a while and be sure to include calcium you get from your vitamins. Try to meet but not excessively exceed the daily requirements for both. Too much fiber can cause problems too. One excellent source of both fiber AND magnesium is rice bran; small amount stirred into cereals or yogurt helps a lot.

Feel free to message me if you want more info on magnesium, I'm a cheerleader for it these days.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    She believes that modern grains are so GMO-fortified that they no longer have the same benefits that our ancestors' grains had. I've lost 44 pounds by following her advice (and literally walking my butt off), so I don't really want to change that.

My DIL is a member here on MFP, is *VERY* health conscious, and cooks as whole as possible. Their youngest son, my youngest grandson was a year old in November. He has been diagnosed with allergies to gluten, dairy, chocolate.. Now my youngest son is struggling with digestive issues and is being tested for Celiac, Crohn's and some other things.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that all of this GMO crap is what has really started all of these food allergies to become so prevalent.
  • egwene1977
    Options

Try adding Fiber and Calcium to your trackers for a while and be sure to include calcium you get from your vitamins. Try to meet but not excessively exceed the daily requirements for both. Too much fiber can cause problems too. One excellent source of both fiber AND magnesium is rice bran; small amount stirred into cereals or yogurt helps a lot.

Feel free to message me if you want more info on magnesium, I'm a cheerleader for it these days.

I don't take supplements, but I see what you're saying. I was told previously that I wasn't getting ENOUGH fiber and protein, so that's why I increased it (used to have the vegetables without tuna for lunch). It seems like every time I turn around, the recommendations have changed.
  • egwene1977
    Options
    She believes that modern grains are so GMO-fortified that they no longer have the same benefits that our ancestors' grains had. I've lost 44 pounds by following her advice (and literally walking my butt off), so I don't really want to change that.

My DIL is a member here on MFP, is *VERY* health conscious, and cooks as whole as possible. Their youngest son, my youngest grandson was a year old in November. He has been diagnosed with allergies to gluten, dairy, chocolate.. Now my youngest son is struggling with digestive issues and is being tested for Celiac, Crohn's and some other things.

I'm a firm believer in the fact that all of this GMO crap is what has really started all of these food allergies to become so prevalent.

I have a tendency to believe that too. Monsanto is eeeevil. We try to cook as whole as possible. Other than my little can of tuna, I try not to eat processed or refined foods if I can help it. Except for the occasional ice cream, of course :)
  • spud_chick
    Options

I don't take supplements, but I see what you're saying. I was told previously that I wasn't getting ENOUGH fiber and protein, so that's why I increased it (used to have the vegetables without tuna for lunch). It seems like every time I turn around, the recommendations have changed.

Too much fiber can just make it hard for your involuntary muscles to move the goods, as it were--too bulky. Not a problem for most people, but can be for some.

Meant to add; for a shorter-term fix, get some Slippery Elm Bark in capsules (cheap) and take one or two first thing in the morning with a glass of water, followed immediately by a cup or two of hot beverage (preferably coffee). SEB is a gentle mucilage forming fiber and soothes and lubricates the digestive tract--good for a range of issues. Wait a half hour or more before eating or taking medications as SEB can inhibit absorption temporarily. Between doing this a couple of mornings a week and reversing my calcium/magnesium ratio, I've had no more serious issues, after a lifetime of trouble.
  • egwene1977
    Options

Too much fiber can just make it hard for your involuntary muscles to move the goods, as it were--too bulky. Not a problem for most people, but can be for some.

Meant to add; for a shorter-term fix, get some Slippery Elm Bark in capsules (cheap) and take one or two first thing in the morning with a glass of water, followed immediately by a cup or two of hot beverage (preferably coffee). SEB is a gentle mucilage forming fiber and soothes and lubricates the digestive tract--good for a range of issues. Wait a half hour or more before eating or taking medications as SEB can inhibit absorption temporarily. Between doing this a couple of mornings a week and reversing my calcium/magnesium ratio, I've had no more serious issues, after a lifetime of trouble.

Great, that is so good to know! The only problem I have is that I have a 1/2 hour commute on a van...is it safe to take this and then have to ride for a distance? I don't want to regret successfully moving things along too quickly :embarassed:
  • spud_chick
    Options
    Great, that is so good to know! The only problem I have is that I have a 1/2 hour commute on a van...is it safe to take this and then have to ride for a distance? I don't want to regret successfully moving things along too quickly :embarassed:

For me, slippery elm bark is not like a cherry bomb, so I would say *one* capsule should not have that effect; *but* since mileage varies. if I were you I'd give it a shot on a weekend morning first. You can also take it at night, though you don't get the extra boost from the coffee. It does work best with warm liquids to help the SEB gel up in your stomach, so you could have it at night with herbal tea or something.like that.
  • egwene1977
    Options
    :smile: These have been some very interesting and appreciated thoughts, so thank you everybody! :smile:

Please feel free to send me a friend request if I haven't grossed you out too much. One can never have too big of a support network.
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    If I ate under 1500 calories I would become well...stopped up. I wouldn't have a BM for DAYS! It sucked! Now I have learned that if I want a healthy schedule I need to eat more! At least 1600! You can still lose weight by upping your calories!