I hate being the fattest person at the gym.

Options
123457»

Replies

• FatKris2FitKris
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you but when people stare at me I stare right back! I think to myself if you woke up near 300 pounds I doubt very much you would be here at 5:30 am or that you could bust out on this elliptical for 50 minutes straight at my size. Most people don't understand the amount of drive it takes for an overweight person to begin. You show up, you do your best, push your hardest and that is all you can do! Get it girl!!!!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, eventually you will look like those other people! And I'm sure plenty of them looked like you when they first started also, maybe they were bigger than you, you never know :)
  • saitiffeh
    saitiffeh Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, my gym is pretty cool with the sorts of people that go. I see people of al ages, sizes and genders (I'm a member of the local YMCA). I've always had this huge phobia of them gym, probably stemming from physical education classes as a kid. As an adult though I've learned that nobody honestly cares what size you are! At most they'll look at you and think "well she has a way s to go, but she's here and that's a start!".
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    girl! yor're there to work out not worry about someone looking at you!!!!! lol i do admit i stare at people sometimes but i dont wonder why are they here??? i usually think if they can do it i can too! no matter what size they are, how old they are! And if you keep it up you'll be the hot chick guys are staring at! :) you be you girl and just work it!

I would come to conclusion that she is the hot chick that guys stare at now. You don't have to be in shape or fit to have someone else think you are attractive.

Keep going to the gym and feel good about yourself. Remember we never lose weight for someone else, it is always about ourselves.

:flowerforyou:
  • adriennepaolini
    Options
    Just remember you are kicking *kitten*. You are there and you are working on it and if they stare well that is their problem. You are doing what you need to don't let gawkiness ruin your effort.
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good chance most of those fit people needed the gym. Go for it, you are there to improve yourself, and do it long enough, you will be one of those fit people.
  • durangocal
    durangocal Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ... I can't help thinking that there are people looking and laughing at my arss blocking their view of the hot chick in front of me.

You couldn't be more wrong. I am a fit person at the gym. When I see someone new just starting, I am so hopeful for that person. I don't think I am alone in this feeling. I want to do anything that I can to support that person and keep them coming. HOWEVER, I never say a word to them because doing so may only let that person know it is obvious to others they are new, thereby making them self conscious or more self conscious than they already are. Being silent is a way of supporting their efforts.

I respect the newbies. That is the toughest time, and yet, they are working through it and figuring it all out.

If you don't believe that you are silently supported, even respected for working through all of that initial awkwardness, read this: http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html?spref=fb. Fit people want more fit people.

Power through it, sister. Hold your head high. At the gym you are surrounded by people who want to you succeed.

I feel the same way! I want so badly to encourage others but never do. The closest I've gotten is if I make eye contact I smile and nod my head. Unfortunately, I don't see most come back- I just hope they are going at a different time than my usual workout time.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a membership at Snap Fitness when I lived in town (and was baby-less). I would go in at 3am, close the blinds and work out so no one would see me.
    I feel you girl!