How many grams of fiber do you eat on average?

Options

Replies

• tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What are you guys eating that is high in fiber???

Legumes, avocados, oats and other whole grains, fruit and berries (raspberries and blackberries are awesome sources of fiber, both soluble and insoluble), lots of roughage (i.e. veggies).

^^^^This
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting much fiber at all- maybe 10-12g on a high veggie day. My carbs are low, under 30g. It is not important to me to get fiber.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I get about 35 grams per day, usually more. Seems like a lot but I don't make any serious effort to get more fiber. It's just the fruits, veggies, and whole grains I eat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting much fiber at all- maybe 10-12g on a high veggie day. My carbs are low, under 30g. It is not important to me to get fiber.

HIgh fiber diets can significantly lower your risk for stroke and heart disease.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ground - Chia seeds and Flax seeds - superfoods!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

I get maybe 16 grams a day.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

HIgh fiber diets can significantly lower your risk for stroke and heart disease.

I wonder how that mechanism works, exactly. What's the connection between big poops and heart disease? :)
  • TBoom915
    TBoom915 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    30+ fruits, veggies, beans, and whole grains
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I try to average around 20 per day, but I have other gastro issues so if I have much more fiber than that, even the dogs leave the room! LOL! I eat apples and baby carrots, a vitamin supplement, Fiber supplement, and more veggies here and there.
  • HappyCamper5166
    Options
    Wow, and here I thought I was doing pretty good eating about 25-30g per day.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    before high protein, often between 30 and 40.
    now it's prob. closer to 20, there's just not as much room
    with all the protein there.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

I wonder how that mechanism works, exactly. What's the connection between big poops and heart disease? :)

more likely it's frequency, not size that matters. more fiber, more frequent.
    it's waste, you don't want it decaying in your body for days and days.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

more likely it's frequency, not size that matters. more fiber, more frequent.
    it's waste, you don't want it decaying in your body for days and days.

Perhaps I should be more clear. What is the connection to something you eat to clean out your bowels to your heart?

And (the large) intestines is the place wastes are designed to sit, so it doesn't make sense that it's 'decaying' in your body for days and days.
  • amye004
    amye004 Posts: 32
    Options
    I average 50g a day with at least 1.5L water

Looking over my food journal and pretty much all the foods I seem to eat have some sort of fibre in it,at least a gram or two. I mainly use oats, veggies, fruit, avocado (1/2 of one a day, lots of fibre!), quinoa, chia seeds, whole wheat products. It all adds up pretty quickly!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fiber isn't all about poop, but since poop is waste, it seems logical that removing as much of it as possible would be a good thing. I'm not sure if the exact connection is known, other than the risk goes down with more fiber consumed.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Fiber isn't all about poop, but since poop is waste, it seems logical that removing as much of it as possible would be a good thing. I'm not sure if the exact connection is known, other than the risk goes down with more fiber consumed.

From the VERY limited research I've done, it seems that the heart-healthy benefits of fiber are related to dietary fiber (and the foods that contain them.

It seems that the fiber supplements don't have the same heart healthy benefits as natural fiber. Diets higher in fiber tend to be healthier than those low in fiber.

I get between 20-30g fiber on average.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm usually between 40 and 50 grams. Sometimes a bit less and sometimes a bit more.

I eat mostly fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I eat everyday 50+ grams and also 50+ grams of protein too.Fiber eats the fat right off your belly, I swear by fiber, that stuff is amazing!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Set my goal to a mininum of 30g of dietary fiber per day but I'm consistently over. YAY!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    How do you get that much in a day?

Fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts