Need advice to get rid of lower belly fat...

Options

Replies

• stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the lower belly fat, I am on a mission to rid of it as well, alas it's with diet that the fat goes away. I have seen more results eating a better diet than I have with working out. Planks are my favorite thusfar as with jackknives, I believes it pulls everything in and strengthens your core very nicely.
  • a_certain_shade_of_green
    Options
    peanut butter and nutella on toast
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise fat away. so stop with pointless ab exercises and don't listen to people who suggest ab exercises.

count calories, balance macros and do full body compound exercises. the fat will come off where genetics decides it to.

^
    ^^ double ditto
    peanut butter and nutella on toast

Or this option... You know for that "after workout muscle recovery snack"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. Abs are made in the kitchen. Planks, etc are great for the core, but hey don't magically spot reduce fat from your belly.

Personally, I never used to do any direct ab work when I had a rockin' 6 pack...I was a sprinter and I lifted heavy, full body compound lifts...and I just had a very low BF%.
  • ptxfan
    ptxfan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow, im on the right track! I actually do all those except for the cycling. i am wanting to buy a spin bike but still saving up for it...
    1. Brisk walking (not walking at a normal pace)
    2. Jogging
    3. Aerobic dancing
    4. Mixed martial arts or kickboxing
    5. Cycling

Try this simple exercise to loose excessive belly fat.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the imput. I get that I cannot spot reduce and I worded that incorrectly. I just wanted to know the best exercise to do to help reduce along with cardio and healthy eating. If you don't strength train the areas along with cardio, you end up with weak abs and flappy skin, especially after having babies. This was my second c-section and because of some complications, I am somewhat limited. Again... thanks for all the comments and I will continue on my path back to healthy.
  • pootnanny77
    Options
    I saw a Pinterest posting about belly fat and there are like four differernt types i am a spare tire belly they recommend lunges, walking and squats. and I am also doing a lifestyle change and eating lots of protein and less carbs.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I saw a Pinterest posting about belly fat and there are like four differernt types i am a spare tire belly they recommend lunges, walking and squats. and I am also doing a lifestyle change and eating lots of protein and less carbs.

You still can't do an exercise that gets rid of belly fat (specifically). You can do exercise to strengthen the underlying muscle, but the fat comes off by eating less calorie than your burn and your body decides where that fat gets used.
  • risak
    risak Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise fat away. so stop with pointless ab exercises and don't listen to people who suggest ab exercises.

count calories, balance macros and do full body compound exercises. the fat will come off where genetics decides it to.

OP is just asking about lower belly exercises vs side and upper.

Ab exercises aren't pointless and I'm pretty sure you CAN "exercise" fat away.
  • LittleFish79
    Options
    Newbie here. . . What are "planks?" Thanx.

LF
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the imput. I get that I cannot spot reduce and I worded that incorrectly. I just wanted to know the best exercise to do to help reduce along with cardio and healthy eating. If you don't strength train the areas along with cardio, you end up with weak abs and flappy skin, especially after having babies. This was my second c-section and because of some complications, I am somewhat limited. Again... thanks for all the comments and I will continue on my path back to healthy.
    I already gave ya the answer. Full body compound movements. There is no real reason to ever have to make the core a focus. it's an accessory. Save the bulk of your workout for the compound movements. Look at new rules for lifting for women or SS.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I agree that managing diet is the most important aspect. Good cardio is great for burning it off. Exercise programs like P90X Ab Ripper are great for toning.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    As far as building lower belly muscle, prone jackknifes [jackknives?] (on a swiss ball) are great

pronejackknife.jpg

OMG thank you. I have two of these buried in my closet that I used to actually use, and I forgot all about them and this is TOTALLY what i need!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

OP is just asking about lower belly exercises vs side and upper.

Ab exercises aren't pointless and I'm pretty sure you CAN "exercise" fat away.

Fat, yes, at least assuming you have a calorie deficit. Just not fat from one specific location.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Working abs is fine for that reason but understand spot reduction does not exist. Fat burns off the body. Lifting your arms 1000 times will burn fat off your legs as well as arms, as an example.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Cardio, and running especially, is fantastic for getting rid of lower belly fat. It's how I got rid of mine :). If you don't currently run C25K is a great place to start...
    Cardio doesn't target any fat on the body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    reverse crunches and planks
    Strengthens abs, but doesn't reduce fat around them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, 4 types? Realistically, belly fat is.......................well stored fat. It takes a calorie deficit to reduce it. Exercises DON'T target it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My belly is shrinking due mostly to:
    #1 Proper Diet, then Cardio 4x & Strength training/Abs workout 3x a week.

I still have a ways to go but... I am totally seeing a difference with this overall approach.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Lol, 4 types? Realistically, belly fat is.......................well stored fat. It takes a calorie deficit to reduce it. Exercises DON'T target it.

IDEA Fitness member

Okay, I'm at goal weight, bottom end of the BMI chart blah, blah, blah.
    I do planks, crunches, reverse crunches, oblique twists etc, etc.
    I have great definition above my belly button.
    But I still have that little area under my belly button.
    What DO you recommend?