Need advice to get rid of lower belly fat...

Options

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It takes enough discipline with your diet to drop those last lbs.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    To get rid of the fat, clean eating is the only way. Exercise builds muscle, but fat reduction is done in the kitchen. If you want good toning exercises for lower abs, I love hanging leg raises and V-ups :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I had 3 C-sections and after each one it was harder to build muscle in that area. If it is still tender start slow. Laying on your back with legs together lift your legs slowly up and down. This was my Dr.'s recommendation to start rebuilding muscle.

^^^^this...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    To get rid of the fat, A CALORIE DEFICIT is the only way. Exercise builds muscle, but fat reduction is done in the kitchen. If you want good toning exercises for lower abs, I love hanging leg raises and V-ups :)

Fixed it. Clean eating does nothing... plenty of people lose fat eating non "clean" foods. All you need is a calorie deficit.

To OP:
    Eat under your calorie goal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I saw a Pinterest posting about belly fat and there are like four differernt types i am a spare tire belly they recommend lunges, walking and squats. and I am also doing a lifestyle change and eating lots of protein and less carbs.
    Lol, 4 types? Realistically, belly fat is.......................well stored fat. It takes a calorie deficit to reduce it. Exercises DON'T target it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Okay, I'm at goal weight, bottom end of the BMI chart blah, blah, blah.
    I do planks, crunches, reverse crunches, oblique twists etc, etc.
    I have great definition above my belly button.
    But I still have that little area under my belly button.
    What DO you recommend?

Eat at a calorie deficit and lose the body fat.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    In 3 months I've lost 2 inches from my middle by eating at a moderate calorie deficit and doing full-body compound lifts (squat, bench, deadlift). I don't do ANY isolated ab exercises.
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As everyone has said losing fat is about calorie deficit; eat less and burn more...

But to just get more of a lower ab workout to balance the uper abs you are already working, add bicycle floor exercises to your routine. http://www.builtlean.com/2010/07/06/strengthen-your-abs-5-great-abs-exercises/

The link shows an easy and advanced version. This will be easier for you than the ball exercises others have recommended because you are lying on your back instead of having to hold yourself up on your arms. Watch your incision site, if these hurt it too much wait a few more weeks.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I saw a Pinterest posting about belly fat and there are like four differernt types i am a spare tire belly they recommend lunges, walking and squats. and I am also doing a lifestyle change and eating lots of protein and less carbs.
    Lol, 4 types? Realistically, belly fat is.......................well stored fat. It takes a calorie deficit to reduce it. Exercises DON'T target it.

IDEA Fitness member

What DO you recommend?

Eat at a calorie deficit and lose the body fat.

I'm 5'8" and 120#.
    People have said that you can't "spot" reduce.
    How much more should I lose in hopes of losing it in my lower belly?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What DO you recommend?
    IF you've done everything you can................................then lipo. There will be times that everything done right may not be able to utilize that last bit of fat. There are non invasive options out there.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What DO you recommend?
    IF you've done everything you can................................then lipo. There will be times that everything done right may not be able to utilize that last bit of fat. There are non invasive options out there.

IDEA Fitness member

Would you mind posting pictures of this belly fat?
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    you can't exercise fat away. so stop with pointless ab exercises and don't listen to people who suggest ab exercises.

count calories, balance macros and do full body compound exercises. the fat will come off where genetics decides it to.

I think exercise does get rid of fat and a combination of eating healthy and clean. But, dont stop doing your ab exercises because when the weight comes off you will have nice abs to show for it or at least a nice strong core.
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Another important thing to remember about belly fat is that if you seem to have an excess of belly fat out of proportion with other body fat it might be because you have Cushings or PCOS (assuming you are a woman). Both of these conditions lead to weight gain especially in the belly. Cushings is pretty serious, google pics of it and get ye to a doctor quick if it reminds you of looking in the mirror. As for PCOS, you doctor can test you for it but it can be easy to get a false negative. PCOS is complicated but basically in PCOS excess belly fat is caused by excess insulin production caused by your body responding inaccurately to carbs/sugar. For PCOS people cutting carbs/sugar (and losing weight in general) is the best way to fight both the PCOS and the related belly fat.

You may not be able to spot burn calories but your body sure can spot add them; excess carbs turn to excess insulin which the body tends to store specifically as belly fat.
  • 5erious
    5erious Posts: 469
    Options
    find your tdee and get on a 500 calorie deficit
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the imput. I get that I cannot spot reduce and I worded that incorrectly. I just wanted to know the best exercise to do to help reduce along with cardio and healthy eating. If you don't strength train the areas along with cardio, you end up with weak abs and flappy skin, especially after having babies. This was my second c-section and because of some complications, I am somewhat limited. Again... thanks for all the comments and I will continue on my path back to healthy.
    I already gave ya the answer. Full body compound movements. There is no real reason to ever have to make the core a focus. it's an accessory. Save the bulk of your workout for the compound movements. Look at new rules for lifting for women or SS.

this^

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

and

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    find your tdee and get on a 500 calorie deficit

and this^
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Surely it can't all be about eating at a deficit. I've lost nearly 30lbs but only 6% body fat (so my scales tell me). I'm 5'4/5'5 and 137lbs. I still have 30% body fat and the dreaded belly pooch. I try to eat well at a deficit and have been doing Jillian Michaels videos.

I think you need to eat well, do cardio, strength train and be very patient.
  • Loopy_1980
    Loopy_1980 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    As far as building lower belly muscle, prone jackknifes [jackknives?] (on a swiss ball) are great

pronejackknife.jpg
    I'm pretty sure I'd land on my face if I tried that! Lol
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    bumping to reread later.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Surely it can't all be about eating at a deficit. I've lost nearly 30lbs but only 6% body fat (so my scales tell me). I'm 5'4/5'5 and 137lbs. I still have 30% body fat and the dreaded belly pooch. I try to eat well at a deficit and have been doing Jillian Michaels videos.

I think you need to eat well, do cardio, strength train and be very patient.

Losing WEIGHT is all about a calorie deficit. Losing the majority of that weight in FAT is best acheived with (as has been stated numerous times) a combination of heavy lifting with core based compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench, row) performed at a weight where you lose form at 5-8reps, and a calorie deficit.

ALL cardio will do (for fat loss) is increase the amount you can eat and still maintain that deficit. This is not to say cardio doesn't have other health benefits (to your heart and lungs etc). Simply that it's unnecessary for fat loss unless you cannot stay under your target calories.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ^
    [/quote]
    ^^ double ditto

Read that as something totally different.