How do I make my Pea Protein taste good?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
The clue is in the tittle,
Im trying to be as plant based as possible which doesnt leave me with many protein powder choices (soy, pea and a few others) but pea seems to be the cheapest with the most protein and the least calories.

However whenever ive put it in smoothies it just tasted like dirt!
Anyone has any suggestions on what would make it taste good?
recipes?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How to cook carp.

4 cups bread crumbs
    3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    3/4 cup finely cut celery
    6 tablespoons melted butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon sage

Cook celery and onion for a few minutes in the butter. Mix the other ingredients and add them to the butter mixture. Wipe dressed fish with damp cloth and salt lightly inside and out. Stuff with dressing and sew or tie with string to retain stuffing. Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.

When the fish is done, remove it from the oven, throw it out and find an acceptable fish to eat. Stop trying to dress up something that's terrible to begin with.

No matter how much lipstick you put on this pig it's going to taste blah. I don't see any compelling reason to avoid whey protein.
  • Deb_le_Kess
    Deb_le_Kess Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't really love it in smoothies, I put it last night in my split-pea stew, it mash, soup etc.
  • kennie2
    Options
    How to cook carp.

4 cups bread crumbs
    3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    3/4 cup finely cut celery
    6 tablespoons melted butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon sage

Cook celery and onion for a few minutes in the butter. Mix the other ingredients and add them to the butter mixture. Wipe dressed fish with damp cloth and salt lightly inside and out. Stuff with dressing and sew or tie with string to retain stuffing. Place in preheated oven and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.

When the fish is done, remove it from the oven, throw it out and find an acceptable fish to eat. Stop trying to dress up something that's terrible to begin with.

No matter how much lipstick you put on this pig it's going to taste blah. I don't see any compelling reason to avoid whey protein.

whey isnt plant based....
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to dress up something that's terrible to begin with.

At least it isn't pee protein.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Im trying to be as plant based as possible which doesnt leave me with many protein powder choices (soy, pea and a few others) but pea seems to be the cheapest with the most protein and the least calories.

recipes?

Are you vegan?
  • kennie2
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

Not really, I try and stick to a vegan diet most of the time but I will occasionally have seafood when eating out and there arent any vegan options.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to dress up something that's terrible to begin with.

At least it isn't pee protein.

You know, this is what was concerning me. Protein in the pee is bad.
  • _kimberly
    _kimberly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to add some vanilla to it, or sometimes I might add raw cacao powder and a bit of stevia. My usual breakfast smoothie:

1 cup coconut milk
    1 cup frozen spinach (you don't taste it, it's bland and blends in nicely - or add kale, same thing)
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or any other berry)
    1 cup water (now hit blend, then add... )
    1 scoop pea protein
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 Tbsp fiber powder

and then I add spices!

sometimes vanilla extract, or maybe 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
    one of my favorites is 2 Tbsp raw cacao with 1 Tbsp cayenne.
    I usually add a bit of stevia or xylitol.

then I add 4 to 5 ice cubes.

adding the frozen blueberries adds sweetness, you can also add in 1/2 a frozen banana...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How do I make my Pea Protein taste good?

The hour grows late and kennie2 rides to Isengard seeking my counsel. For that is why you have come, is it not… my old friend? Join forces with whey protein for none can resist it's power.

tumblr_mfo03i9NDw1rs7ex4o3_250.gif

Not really, I try and stick to a vegan diet most of the time but I will occasionally have seafood when eating out and there arent any vegan options.

I gave you the chance of having tasty food, but you have elected the way of pain.

tumblr_mfo03i9NDw1rs7ex4o4_250.gif

tumblr_lr097eXwN51qiadpyo1_500.gif
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

And yet you don't want to eat fish for protein and instead resort to peas? What's so wrong with whey anyway?
  • kennie2
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

And yet you don't want to eat fish for protein and instead resort to peas? What's so wrong with whey anyway?

fish is very expensive! and not something that i fancy spending a lot of money on while a student. +i still dont really like the idea of it but i think its better than eating dairy or eggs
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

Have you considered a whey protein? It comes from milk and it tastes much better.
  • kennie2
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

Have you considered a whey protein? It comes from milk and it tastes much better.

yeah the idea of milk makes me barf haha
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

good luck with your nutrition goals
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can you eat gluten? There are a lot of great recipes that are gluten based. Gluten makes a great meat substitute.

Sorry that I can't give you advice about the pea protein. I ran into the same thing with soy. It tasted like chalk to me.
  • gia2384
    gia2384 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What brand of protein are you using? I use biochem vegan protein. It's a mix of pea, hemp and cranberry. Another thing you could try is making protein bars, those are a little better taste wise.
  • kennie2
    Options
    yeah i can have gluten :) and its pulsin, everyone said that was the best one. might look into some protein bar recipes.
    And to the ignorant guy who assumes i cant eat nutritionally on a vegan diet you have no idea how wrong you are. please tell me what nutrients im apparently missing. because the 2 blood tests are get a year are failing to.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options

recipes?

Are you vegan?

Ok.....#1 it comes from milk.....It does not have any similar taste/consitency.....Sounds like you are really reaching here....

#2 - At some point you have to make some sort of choice......Eat the good tasting stuff that has lots of protein or eat the crappy tasting stuff that has some protein in it........Either way it's your decision, but they aren't going to make veggie protein that tastes like cheesecake.
  • Thyme4change
    Thyme4change Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like to add some vanilla to it, or sometimes I might add raw cacao powder and a bit of stevia. My usual breakfast smoothie:

1 cup coconut milk
    1 cup frozen spinach (you don't taste it, it's bland and blends in nicely - or add kale, same thing)
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries (or any other berry)
    1 cup water (now hit blend, then add... )
    1 scoop pea protein
    1 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 Tbsp fiber powder

and then I add spices!

sometimes vanilla extract, or maybe 1.5 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
    one of my favorites is 2 Tbsp raw cacao with 1 Tbsp cayenne.
    I usually add a bit of stevia or xylitol.

then I add 4 to 5 ice cubes.

adding the frozen blueberries adds sweetness, you can also add in 1/2 a frozen banana...

Thanks so much! Your basic smoothie is similar to mine. However the spices are a great idea! I frequently add cinnamon, pumpkin or apple pie spice. Cayenne! This is what's been missing with my chocolate base smoothies. Ginger, I can do that too. The turmeric is so good for us, but I will hv to experiment w that one. Thanks again!
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    yeah i can have gluten :) and its pulsin, everyone said that was the best one. might look into some protein bar recipes.
    And to the ignorant guy who assumes i cant eat nutritionally on a vegan diet you have no idea how wrong you are. please tell me what nutrients im apparently missing. because the 2 blood tests are get a year are failing to.

Even though I didn't post it....I'll jump in........How are you getting your BCAAs? How much protein are you getting per day currently? How many calories are you eating per day? What exactly are you expecting the blood tests to tell you? What are they testing exactly......There are lots of unhealthy/malnourished people that get good screeens from bloodtests......not saying you are one of them.