I have had ENOUGH (binge-eating)

Options
124»

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Word of warning. Expect your moods and depression to get worse when you stop binging, and have a STRONG support network and strategies for developing your coping skills in place before you do so. Binge eating is a coping strategy, like alcohol, or drugs, or any addiction. The underlying cause is psychological distress. You don't just need to stop binging, you need to be able to handle distress in other ways.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was a binge eater. One of my trigger foods was actually diet soda. I gave it up in January. So many people don't get why I gave it up since it was 'diet soda' but for me its a huge trigger to other sweets and junk. I deal with comments non-stop from friends that don't get it but I ive continued to stay strong. I know it works for me.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could train yourself to not binge on these trigger foods. Don't keep any in your house, but maybe have a friend come over once a week with a slice of pizza for each of you. You eat the single slice and have no opportunity to eat more, so you either stop there or work out your craving on more healthful foods you have on hand. Make it a weekly TV night or something.
  • jjjmc
    jjjmc Posts: 3
    Options
    I have similar problems with binge eating, but I am only able to maintain a seemingly normally weight through fasting (bad, I know!) and sometimes lots of exercise afterwards to compensate. I'm a little tubby but I appear average and my friends don't seem to believe that I binge a lot based on my current weight...I DO need to lose a little bit of weight for health reasons, but I think at this point I need to develop healthy eating and fitness habits again. My trigger foods are those high in carbs and sugar (breads, cookies, cereals, pizza, other baked goods, etc.) It is especially hard when I am living at home in between living situations and my family loves buying junk food! It's also very hard hanging out with friends who regularly have beer and pizza but have the self control to just have one. Me, I can't stop until it's all gone!

I agree with what someone said about making a support group, if anyone wants to add me feel free! One real life support that I found to be very helpful was a friend I decided to confided in about my disordered eating. It turns out she has the same exact problem as me, so we are able to find mutual support in each other.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    hi!!!! I realize you wrote this awhile ago, and I hope all is well with you!!!!

I too, have problems with binge eating. I would eat and eat and eat and feel so guilty and disgusted with myself. I normally would start an exercise program, log into MFP, record what I ate, and then would just get up and binge all night!!! And then, when I didn't see results, I would give up. If I brought snacks into the house for my 3 year old son, if it was pudding....anything carbs, I would eat it all and I would feel more guilty. It was an endless cycle. I was also seeing someone who wasn't very supportive, and emotionally draining. One who would buy me fast food and say it was okay to eat it...then turn around and call me fat.

This time around, I decided enough was enough. First, I got rid of the boyfriend. Secondly, I started off small in regards to exercise....more importantly I started logging back on to MFP and was determined that no matter what I ate, I was going to record it. I started the basic foundation of eating more fruits, veggies and lean dairy then added the rest to stay under my calorie goal. I even allowed myself one day out the week to actually eat like I usually do (fast food, alcohol, sweets, etc.) and when I realized just HOW MANY calories I was consuming....about 4,000 at the most to be exact....I just found that I didn't desire to do it anymore.

Point is this-you have to hold yourself accountable and stop judging yourself. Set small goals. First, try eating more fruits and vegetables....maybe start juicing or extracting....if at all possible....don't keep the stuff in your house. Which I know is hard because you said you have a boyfriend that bakes. Maybe encourage him to bake the stuff....and take the leftovers to work or something. I hope you are feeling better!!!!