Please tell me ready meals aren't that bad :(

Options
I basically live off them. I'm always so tired and rushed that they are just so quick and convienient. The only times I don;t eat them is when I go to a friends house who cooks, or I go out for dinner, or sometimes I will have an omlette or porridge.

I eat fruit and yogurt for brekkie, granola bar for a snack, ham and egg salad for lunch and usually more fruit/cereal bar snack in the afternoon. So it;s not like i'm not getting my nutrients.

I will make sure i'm always within my calories and try to pick the ones with less salt/sugar etc.

Are they really as harmful for your health as everyone says??

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The biggest drawback, imo, is that they are somewhat lacking in quality nutrition value. There are better choices when you look at the long term. Occasional use, ok for when you really need the convenience.
  • jxchambe
    jxchambe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but they are low calorie (Heathy choice, fresh steamers, etc) and fit into my calorie allotment. I eat them alot and I am losing weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like them (some I think taste like cardboard), and I have problems with my BP, so I need to watch my sodium intake. Instead, I cook huge meals on the weekends, portion it out individually, and then freeze. So, I have frozen meals at the ready, but I know exactly what is in them and that they'll taste good.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but they are low calorie (Heathy choice, fresh steamers, etc) and fit into my calorie allotment. I eat them alot and I am losing weight.
    Just because you are losing weight does not mean they are nutritionally adequate. You could lose weight eating snicker s bars only if you kept it within your calorie allowance. These type of meals are normally pretty high in salt. Ok occasionally but long term not a good choice. If you have time problems praising fresh meals find some recipes you could freeze them spend half a day every now and then to cook a large batch and freeze them. Then you can have meals available quickly that you could easily add steamed veggies to.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I basically live off them. I'm always so tired and rushed that they are just so quick and convienient. The only times I don;t eat them is when I go to a friends house who cooks, or I go out for dinner, or sometimes I will have an omlette or porridge.

I eat fruit and yogurt for brekkie, granola bar for a snack, ham and egg salad for lunch and usually more fruit/cereal bar snack in the afternoon. So it;s not like i'm not getting my nutrients.

I will make sure i'm always within my calories and try to pick the ones with less salt/sugar etc.

they're pretty bad. sodium like nobodies business - even the "low sodium" options.

learn to cook. it'll make you and your friends/family much happier in the long run! :)
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    As long as the serving size fills me up and fits into my goal, I'm fine with it. I just have to be careful - some of the frozen dinners aren't very filling, so I used to eat 2 or 3 to get full. There are better ways to go about that part.
  • kylaenslow
    kylaenslow Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't think they can be that bad. I eat them a lot too I just try to get ones that are healthier and keep me under my calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Lol, maybe you're tired and you rush because you're tired because you lack actual nutrition? I'll be the first to say it: Better learn how to cook especially if you intend to get married and have kids..............................or your family will be stuck eating ready made meals for life and trust when I say that "convenience" of meals is what is leading lots of people to get overweight in the first place.
    You can have it once in awhile, but go for more whole foods and better nutrient dense meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Lol, maybe you're tired and you rush because you're tired because you lack actual nutrition? I'll be the first to say it: Better learn how to cook especially if you intend to get married and have kids..............................or your family will be stuck eating ready made meals for life and trust when I say that "convenience" of meals is what is leading lots of people to get overweight in the first place.
    You can have it once in awhile, but go for more whole foods and better nutrient dense meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

you were actually the second to say it. :wink:
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    BAD! Full of preservatives and sodium, very little nutritional content. Eat a salad!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You are an adult, you are going to do what you want. Seems you have already have the information, and simply don't want to believe they are "as bad as everyone says."

Nutrient value aside, the teach you nothing about sustaining a healthy diet. Not how to plan, shop and prepare a healthy meal. It is like my boss who eats them EVERY DAY. Zero clue, she hassles me about eating nuts while eating processed diet food. She seriously can't figure out what wrap to but from McDonalds by herself. Seriously, she needed my to point out that the fried ranch snack wrap might not be the better option simply because it had less calories. Yes the grilled one had more calories, but it was also like twice the size. Ugh.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    They're bad. Learn to cook and eat REAL food.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    if you have a day or a weekend off why not make your own "ready meals" and put them in the fridge/freezer to have during the week if youre too busy to cook then? but tbh there are many meals that are reasy in under 15/30 minutes. Jamie oliver did a lot of shows about it. worth checking out
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're horrible, but, they're unsatisfying to me. I could probably eat 3 or 4 of them and not feel full. Whereas the same amount of calories prepared fresh is far more filling.

They're low-calorie, but rarely have the macro proportions that I'm looking for. Not enough protein or fat. it's interesting to note that I weigh a lot less, now that I never eat them.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    OK, I will tell you - "They aren't that bad.". Happy? :smile:

Seriously, there can be some benefits. The nutrition info isn't always spot on, but it is closer than what most of us are using when we buy a bunch of bananas and no two weight the same or the brand of something we bought this week is ground slightly finer and more or less fits in a cup or... you get my drift.

If it keeps you from making worse quick choices, it's fine. I try to mostly shop at the edges of the grocery store, but some of that stuff in the middle makes it my cart. No big deal IMO.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    Several problems:
    1. They are very high in sodium as others have mentioned
    2. They tend to be high in carbs/lower in protein than what would considered idea for weight control (yes, there are exceptions)
    3. You are not learning how to prepare food that is nutritious (and appropriate portion size)

There is a reason why people lose weight doing things like Jenny Craig, where all your meals are provided for you, but then put it all back on after going at it on their own. You haven't actually learned anything...except maybe to eat smaller amounts of food.

I consider myself to be a busy person. I work 60 hours a week (it is my own business so I work at home evenings and weekends), I commute 45 minutes each way to the office M-F, I have two kids 3 & 6 who are in a milliion activities, I participate in team sports and I teach a college course on-line. I have found ways to make grab and go food that is healthy - higher protein, high fibre, low sodium, lots of vegetables, etc.

For me, it is about planning. Once every 2-3 months I have 'crazy soup making day'. It takes about 5-6 hours, but I make enough soup for my husband and I to have every day at work for the next 2-3 months. In the morning, I don't have to grab a ready meal, I just grab one of my soups and go. I do the same for breakfasts, but 2-3 days at a time.

I'm not claiming to be an expert - and we do have days where we grab food that is convenient rather than making a meal from scratch, but it's the exception, not the rule. I was able to drop the last 20 lbs that I need and have been maintaining that for over a year.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are we supposed to tell you what you want to hear or the truth? I’m going to go with the truth:

They may be low in calories, but chances are they are high in sodium and low in nutritional value. Not to mention they are typically FULL of preservatives and additives.

I know we sometimes are in a hurry and need something quick and easy on hand, but try not to make this a regular go-to meal. There are tons of other quick options that are all-around better for you (and better tasting!).

Good luck on your journey.

~Andrea
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i use them. i dont worry too much on sodium, my blood pressure is great! i like that they are precalculated, premeasured... its a good start atleast. along the way, i have learned to incorporate my own recipes and ideas, but until you get the hang of coooking low cal foods, these are a great option. i do add in alot of fresh veggies with them tho... for example, the lean cuisine chicken ranch flat bread melt... before i cook it, i throw a handfull of fresh spinach on top and a handfull od sliced jalepeno, then cook... or, the lean cuisine seasame seed chicken, i like to serve over a bed of fresh raw spinach or steamed cabbage and top with tapatio. anyways, ive lost 65 pounds since september eating about 65% pre-made diet meals (i buy whatever is on sale) and so far im still enjoying them.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat them from time to time, though I try to stick to the 'low sodium' ones. I also like adding my own vegetables because the amount they include is pathetic. I'll steam broccoli or cook spinach and add it, which also makes me fuller because it's more volume without adding calories.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Jamie Oliver, the guy who started some TV show called "Food Revolution" and is some British chef, has a great piece of advice I've tried to follow: if you can't pronounce or do not know what the ingredient is, then you don't want it in your body.

I avoid boxed meals, boxed snacks, processed foods, etc., because they are filled with ingredients I don't know or can't pronounce. While the calories might be within the allotted range, the extra garbage they put in there can't be good for a body.

I also find all those boxed meals absolutely devoid of any pleasurable taste. I want to TASTE my food, not just shove something down my throat because I am hungry.