Does anyone else work out two hours a day?

Options

Replies

• cherio256
    cherio256 Posts: 219
    Options
    net calories means: I do 1200 calories a day, but I burn 200 of those from exercise. that means I am netting 1000 a day (too low). So days I exercise (usually daily) I eat 1400 calories but net 1200 :)
  • doc800
    doc800 Posts: 148
    Options
    I do an hour in the am followed by an hour at night. I also keep close tabs on how my body is responding.
  • skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This site will calculate your TEE for you - that is the amount of calories that it takes your bodie to sustain itself as it is (nervous system, muscles, organs, etc.)

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

Once you figure out your TEE, subtract 20% and that is the amount of NET calories you should eat to LOSE weight. If you are adding exercise then you need to eat back the calories that you burn during that exercise or your body will consume muscle for energy and store fat (starvation mode). If you do this, you will increase your muscle and by doing that increase your metabolism. You are not eating enough calories now and that is why you have platued. Up your calories (I went through this last year when doing Insanity). It took me six weeks to realize that I should be consuming 2200 calories on the days when I was doing the high-impact exercises.

I would also recommend a heart rate monitor - it is the best way to know how many calories you are actually burning. You already have the tracking food part down!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    That is what I would think to, I dont really understand the hole net calorie thing

You lose weight by creating a calorie deficit by eating less, or exercising, or a combination of them both.

MFP sets your calorie goal assuming you will do no exercising, you will lose weight just by eating less (the number they give you). Then when you DO exercise, you need to eat more food for fuel. So when you log your exercise, it gives you more to eat, that is your NET goal for the day.

So for example, MFP tells you to eat 1,400 calories a day. You work out for an hour and burn 300 calories, it adds that 300 to the amount you need to eat, so your net for the day is 1,700.

edit: typo
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    In the winter when there's not much else to do I'm in the gym everyday for two hours, mixing up cardio and strength training. When the weather turns nice, you'll find me outside without a watch.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Usually 45'ish minutes in the morning, four days a week. 50'ish minutes at lunch 5 days a week. Two or three nights a week I am doing something active, anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hrs - but that's usually sports, etc, not focused exercise.
  • skalkbrenn
    skalkbrenn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ***By "If you do this..." I meant if you eat back the calories you burn with exercise.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Doesnt that mean your eating back your exercise cals which defeats the purpose of exercising those cals off in the first place??
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Not me. I do about 30/45 min 6 days a week. One day cardio. Good luck.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    This site will calculate your TEE for you - that is the amount of calories that it takes your bodie to sustain itself as it is (nervous system, muscles, organs, etc.)

http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

Once you figure out your TEE, subtract 20% and that is the amount of NET calories you should eat to LOSE weight. If you are adding exercise then you need to eat back the calories that you burn during that exercise or your body will consume muscle for energy and store fat (starvation mode). If you do this, you will increase your muscle and by doing that increase your metabolism. You are not eating enough calories now and that is why you have platued. Up your calories (I went through this last year when doing Insanity). It took me six weeks to realize that I should be consuming 2200 calories on the days when I was doing the high-impact exercises.

I would also recommend a heart rate monitor - it is the best way to know how many calories you are actually burning. You already have the tracking food part down!

I have never heard of TEE before but I do own a heart rate monitor
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do!!!! I'm currently doing P90X or running in the mornings and afternoons I have martial arts or football.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Doesnt that mean your eating back your exercise cals which defeats the purpose of exercising those cals off in the first place??

No, with MFP, you are already set lower than what you need for fuel. That is why it adds back more calories for you when you log your exercise. If you did no exercise and just ate what MFP says, you would lose weight.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I may well be the person that does the least exercise on this site. But 4 times a week 30 mins each works fine for me. Not much to lose and losing it fine. Not only could I not fit in 2 hours a day but I wouldn't want to!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I do an 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour at night
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Heck no...that's insane! I have better things to do with my time than spend 2 hours a day working out!

^^^^^^ THIS! : )
  • vikingheart
    Options
    I have a pretty intense regimen because I am training for a fight. 6 days a week...1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours. My weight loss stalled in the last few months, but I was forced to take a break the last week and the weight has been falling off of me. I'm not doing anything different with my eating. I think my body just needed time to rest and adjust.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would do interval training - 45 min of high intensity intervals does wonders to your body.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I work out twice a day, but I also eat right and the second work out is something I like doing like playing Vball and boxing
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You're eating 1000 calories a day? No wonder your weight loss stopped, you're undereating like crazy. And no you do not need to work out two hours a day unless you're training for something, what's the rush to lose weight? Is it a life or death thing? involve a gang?
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from the kitchen. Focus on your nutrition and calorie deficit. You can cut out starches ,grains, processed / premade foods.. and drink A LOT of water..

Change something up to shock your system.

If you feel like you are plateauing, I find the best thing to do is switch it up. Change up how you do your cardio, how intense it is, switch your weights to higher weights / less reps, or lower weights / more reps.

Just change something up from your routine.

I started doing intermittent fasting when I plateau'd and the weight started falling off again.

Or you can stay within your calorie goals and eat whatever you want. Intermittent fasting didn't cause you to break your plateau, increasing the deficit probably did.

The deficit didn't change at all. If anything, it actually decreased. Literally 2 things changed.. The time I was eating (12pm-6pm) and the amount of water I was drinking (about a gallon a day instead of 8-12 cups)

I try to eat clean, healthy foods, rather than eating whatever I want and staying within my calories.

Self control is not my forte