How to get a dancer's body

Options
Hey guys! I know a few of you use workout videos in your daily exercise. I wanted to suggest one more because I haven't seen much mention of it here on the forums! Ballet Body by Leah Sarago.

I see a lot of praise for Jillian Michaels, and I have had fantastic success in building my muscles with her DVDs. But Leah's videos for elongating muscles I've built during Jillian's workouts to create an overall leaner "dancer" shape. So if you're looking to add something new to your workout, definitely give Leah's videos a try! They are challenging, but SO so worth it!

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You cannot elongate the muscle - it is a fixed length. You can only build it or lose it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    muscles exist between two fixed points. you cannot lengthen them.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You cannot elongate the muscle - it is a fixed length. You can only build it or lose it.

Oh, for god's sake. By "elongate," I just meant an overall leaner look, like a ballerina. Let's not get into a semantic discussion. I'm just making a suggestion.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I used to dance, and it did not give me a dancer's body, unfortunately. I developed bigger, muscular, stocky legs - more like a rugby player's than a dancer's. I think a lot of it is probably to do with your body type.

I'd be interested in the DVD though. I like the New York City ballet workout DVDs.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Unless you ar Elastigirl you can't elongate your muscles. They are pretty tightly fixed to your tendon and bone. You can make them bigger or smaller. That is all.

ETA: I am sure the video is very enjoyable though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Oh, for god's sake. By "elongate," I just meant an overall leaner look, like a ballerina. Let's not get into a semantic discussion. I'm just making a suggestion.

and overall leaner look is done by reducing body fat, which is achieved through a combination of a calorie deficit and proper nutrition, strength training, cardio, and rest.
  • eviegreen
    Options

and overall leaner look is done by reducing body fat, which is achieved through a combination of a calorie deficit and proper nutrition, strength training, cardio, and rest.

Yes. I'm not exactly sure why you're putting your statement in the form of an argument, since I never said anything to negate it...
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    How many of you nay-sayers can actually bend over and touch your toes?? Try it and maybe you'll see why you need to "elongate" your muscles!

Thank you, eviegreen for your suggestion.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    How many of you nay-sayers can actually bend over and touch your toes?? Try it and maybe you'll see why you need to "elongate" your muscles!

Thank you, OP for your suggestion.

I can. That is stretching the muscle - not elongating it.

Once you stop stretching it it goes back to the same length.

Elongate - Definition
    › to become or make something become longer, and often thinner:
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    I had a feeling this thread would go down this route. OP's post getting corrected for containing myth material. OP getting grumpy about getting corrected. Meh.....It happens, don't take it personally. It's a good thing, we read, we learn, we improve.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion for the video. I have been looking for videos to help with flexibility.
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Really now?
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you for the suggestion. Everybody who has said or plans to say something negative needs to remember that they aren't being forced to do anything they don't want to. I might have to take a look around for Leah's DVDs. I could use a good workout DVD to help me lose my stubborn fat.

Relax, everybody!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Oh, FFS that's flexibility, not elongating your muscles. And yes, I can touch my toes. I also have long legs, hence long muscles. The former is the result of yoga. The latter, genetics.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion for the video. I have been looking for videos to help with flexibility.

Yes - The DVD will help with flexibility - which is not a bad thing at all. But giving it mystical powers is just wrong.
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

I understand where you're coming from, but being flexible will not make your muscles look any different. I can bend over and touch my toes and then some and also do contortion training but my muscles will still look the same. Definitely not trying to argue with you here but just saying.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yes, thank you for the suggestion. Everybody who has said or plans to say something negative needs to remember that they aren't being forced to do anything they don't want to. I might have to take a look around for Leah's DVDs. I could use a good workout DVD to help me lose my stubborn fat.

Relax, everybody!

Theres no negativity, it's just correcting bad information. I'd rather have a bit of snark then false information.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't care about getting a "dancer's body" but I do like trying new things. Can you find these videos on youtube?
  • eviegreen
    Options

Relax, everybody!

Theres no negativity, it's just correcting bad information. I'd rather have a bit of snark then false information.

I didn't intend to provide false information. I just wasn't thinking about my wording when I posted. I was rewording, in a rather poor way, what Leah gives on her own site: "Ballet Body workouts creatively integrate traditional body-weight resistance exercises with muscle elongating techniques to achieve maximal lengthening in the muscle fibers."

Anyway. Early in the morning, haven't had coffee yet, etcetera. ;) Everyone just calm down now...
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Oh for Pete's sake. 'Elongating muscle' has been a phrase used for at least 20 years. It doesn't mean literally making the muscle longer. It means making the muscle appear to be longer. Instead of going for a compact-looking, tennis ball lump of a bicep, you go for a smoother, more rubber-band-like bicep. Not a myth if understood properly.
This discussion has been closed.