How do you conquer night time cravings?

Options

Replies

• the3hords
    the3hords Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of great suggestions here! I also am making a new habit of not eating after 8 p.m. and when I get hungry I drink hot green tea or water, mostly water. I was wondering what kinds of foods you have to have in the house for everybody else that you can't eat.

my daughter only eats typical 'kid' food - pbj sandwiches, nuggets, crackers
  • the3hords
    Options
    thanks for all of your suggestions. I know I need to go to bed earlier, but some nights my brain is in over load for all of the stuff I think needs to be done.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    A thick protein shake. If I crave something, that's what it gets, something it already needs.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You really can avoid buying those foods. When it's a matter of life and death, you do what you gotta do.

1. Don't bring trigger foods into the house.
    2. Save some calories for a satisfying nighttime snack that you've pre-planned.
    3. Don't give in!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Play Sims3 and watch them eat!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sucking on a sugar free candy or chewing some gum really helps alot. If I really need to eat something, ill munch on some carrots or something small; you dont want to eat too many carbs late at night because you cant process them well during sleep. If i have enough calories, something like natural peanut butter with celery.
    Alot of times its just out of boredum; find a project to keep you busy. Maybe during that time youre alone you could plan out the next days food and put things your craving in your diary and plan around them, or go on a short walk; maybe you have a hobby you enjoy... find something to occupy your time.
  • the3hords
    Options
    Not sure if anyone here has tried this, but i just discover "Arctic Zone Frozen Dessert". Definitely tastes different than ice cream, but it is pretty good. Has fiber and whey protein in it. I was happy to find a guilt free dessert good for those who are lactose intolerant. The whole pint is only 150 cals, but 1/2 cup is a serving and I was full after 1/2 cup.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am fighting them right now by being here. :)
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free gum, too, also because eventually, it makes me thirsty, which causes me to drink more water, which causes my hunger to abate. But when I am really hungry, I eat. It's all about choices. I don't necessarily believe that eating something at night is terrible, but I used to eat full meals.

I remind myself that I am never hungry when I am asleep.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    First of all, you need to be sure you are eating enough calories every day (1200 is not enough, for example).

Second, if you enjoy eating at night, leave some calories for that time (I do!). I get skinny cow ice creams or air pop popcorn (8 cups for about 120 calories and it takes a long time to eat it and has fiber!), or some 80 calorie posicles or something. Sometimes I eat Cream of Wheat cereal (170 calories and very filling) or peanut butter with 100 calorie toast or an apple.

There is nothing wrong with eating at night - the trick is to keep it within your calories (so, if you want poptarts, save enough calories). metabolism is not affected by what time of day you eat...
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Oh, and one more thing, two tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (the kind with the "mother" in it, not distilled or pasteurized) in a cup with two tsp of honey or some stevia, put in a dash of cinnamon and about a quarter cup of hot water. Dissolve the honey and once it's dissolved, add some ice and enough water to make 8-12 ounces.

This may taste tart, but once it's the norm, everything sweet tastes overly sweet. I drink it three times a day. I get Bragg's ACV at the grocery store, but any non-refined AVC will work.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I eat... I dont deprive myself or that leads to binges.
  • lumadances
    Options
    Make sure your dinner is satisfying and contains adequate protein, good fats, and fiber.

As for night, I love hot tea. Especially the sweet flavored variety like peach or vanilla. Add a tsp of sugar, a packet of splenda, a tbs of honey.. It's pure love.
  • JaimeLaRae
    JaimeLaRae Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    This is a huge issue I'm also trying to overcome. I'm going through hot tea at night by the gallons. LOL I've also just gone to bed when it starts bugging me too much. My biggest problem has been what I call "sleep eating" . No kidding, I have woke up in the middle of the night, in my kitchen gorging carbs. :embarassed: I have been doing a lot of self talk before I fall asleep to remind myself that I'm not really hungry, it's a habit. I think it started out as stress eating. The last couple weeks have been much better, although I did have an argument with myself the other night around 2am that I did NOT need a flour tortilla with butter. :blushing: It will get better with time I hope. For me it's self discipline. There has been a lot of good advice on here, a lot of it that I already do. I hope you will be able to get past this as well! JJ
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I usually workout in the evenings, and then I get to eat back my exercise calories. If it's one of my non workout days then I just save some calories for a snack. The longer I do this and eat well during the day, the less of an issue it has become.
  • Oncebittentwiceshy38
    Oncebittentwiceshy38 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is a huge issue I'm also trying to overcome. I'm going through hot tea at night by the gallons. LOL I've also just gone to bed when it starts bugging me too much. My biggest problem has been what I call "sleep eating" . No kidding, I have woke up in the middle of the night, in my kitchen gorging carbs. :embarassed: I have been doing a lot of self talk before I fall asleep to remind myself that I'm not really hungry, it's a habit. I think it started out as stress eating. The last couple weeks have been much better, although I did have an argument with myself the other night around 2am that I did NOT need a flour tortilla with butter. :blushing: It will get better with time I hope. For me it's self discipline. There has been a lot of good advice on here, a lot of it that I already do. I hope you will be able to get past this as well! JJ

I don't want to be a "know it all" but have you had your blood sugar levels checked lately? I "sleep eat" when my blood sugar is off-I have a form of type 2 diabetes.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only snack in the evenings, so I arrange my calories so I can do so. Also, doing a little exercise so you can eat a little more works.

For you sleep eaters, does having something right before bedtime help with that? I know my insomnia is better if I have a nice filling snack about an hour before bedtime.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Procrastinate getting up to eat it and fall asleep while procrastinating. The trick is to "trick" your mind into thinking it will get it, and then keep putting it off.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    Drinking tea helps me avoid snacking all night. I will make a cup of herbal tea (mint is my favorite) and add just a dash of vanilla creamer to it to give it a hint of sweetness and sip on it. Helps me get a little extra water for the day, too!

And if you're not concerned about a little bit of caffeine, Bigelow makes a vanilla chai tea that is delicious with a little creamer :)
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your blood sugar is spiking at night. This is what I have done to control my night time eating:

1. Eat enough calories and drink enough water during the day.
    2. Eat protein and fat with carbs in a good ratio. I Eat a 3:1:2 ratio (p:f:c)
    3. Reduce daily carb intake under 100 grams
    4. Intermittent fasting program call 16/8. You eat nothing from 9 pm to noon the next day and you follow the above protocol. Your feeding window is from noon to 8 pm. Took me a week to master, but now I have NO food cravings at night. It is like magic.
    5. Have a slow release protein powder shake with some MCT oil as your last food in the evening, about an hour before your food window closes.
    6. An hour before you go to bed take a sleeping aid supplement cocktail of 1-3 mg of melatonin, 450 mg of valerian, and 350 mcg of highly absorbable magnesium, like inonic magnesium citrate. You need to sleep to help break the blood sugar spikes.