what do you do to tone and slim your arms?

Options

Replies

• phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate. I am under the impression that the original poster wants to improve the appearance of their arms. In order to do this, sculpting is the focus. Diet alone does not "sculpt" figure. You may lose weight by dieting alone, but will still have fat that remains stored. Why? Because dieting does not burn the fat necessary to sculpt muscle. Exercise, such as aerobic activities burns fat. Resistance training, which is anaerobic, conditions the muscles by ripping and tearing muscle fibers so they may regenerate cells that will improve elasticity and reshape the body by bonding together during the rest period. Nutrition is key to this process. Our cells feed on nutrients in order to survive, and as long as we provide these cells with the nutrients they need, we will see improvement in our bodies overall.

You cannot spot reduce, but you can spot train. If the focus is on having more shapely arms and more strength to perform weight training exercises, then my advice to the original poster is sound.

There should be no further need to argue about this matter.
    you're on the right track, but you're still incorrect in that exercise burns fat. it does not. it burns calories. where bodyfat burn comes from is when you eat less than you expend, exercise or not. then the body will slowly shed mass to make up this difference. fat is just one part of this mass.

Resistance training while in deficit does not build muscle. it's used to retain existing muscle. you're not building new muscle unless you're eating a crapton of food. (some very basic noob gains aside)
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    For arms to be leaned out, my advice would be: low amount of weight (like 3-10 pound dumbbells) with a high amount of reps(to burn more calories and work that muscle simultaneously). Also, up the cardio to burn the fat.
    could you explain how high reps, or any reps for that matter burns fat from arms?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ....When you're an inexperienced beginner who is also female and doesnt want to be bulky(who also happens to have very little upper body strength) who can BARELY use the shoulder press and chest press type machines on the lowest weight. My arms are always my worst point and Id love to feel really comfortable in tanks for this summer ya feel?

You lift free weights, and get over the "Don't want to be bulky" bs.

You don't have testicles. You won't get bulky unless you start juicing.

Review Starting Strength, 3rd Edition.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    lol you aren't going to get bulky... hahaha! You need to gain muscle and also lose some fat on your arms if you want them to be nicer! I have lost about 4kg over the past few months (from 67kg to 63kg) and can really see a huge difference in my arms, especially now that I'm lifting, however it really comes down to where your body wants to shed the fat!

just start on a weight which means that by 10-12 reps you are struggling. Do 3 sets of these with about 30 second breaks in between. And don't just do one machine and stop - do a big range at first until you get some confidence :)

I personally go around and use all the machines like this and my strength has really improved surprisingly in only a few weeks. Be sure to ask your trainer/gym staff to show you how to use the machines properly.

You can also get in to free weights which I like as well, but again, get an instructor to show you the correct form or check out youtube videos. People say machines are bad blabla but for a beginner I think they are good for helping form and confidence :)
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    For arms to be leaned out, my advice would be: low amount of weight (like 3-10 pound dumbbells) with a high amount of reps(to burn more calories and work that muscle simultaneously). Also, up the cardio to burn the fat.
    could you explain how high reps, or any reps for that matter burns fat from arms?

This is so stupid! I only improve my arms with low reps high weight. I'm all for 3 sets of 10 reps, struggling with that last rep. My arms are becoming sexy :wink: and not bulky :indifferent:
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yes, exercise does burn fat. Diet alone will not burn fat.

You have it backwards.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options

This is so stupid! I only improve my arms with low reps high weight. I'm all for 3 sets of 10 reps, struggling with that last rep. My arms are becoming sexy :wink: and not bulky :indifferent:

x10 except only 2 sets, sometimes less than 10 reps
  • JessHealthKick
    Options

x10 except only 2 sets, sometimes less than 10 reps

now that is even more full on! I will see how I go, but I find I am adding weight almost every week at the moment so I'm happy ;)
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

Yes, exercise does burn fat. Diet alone will not burn fat.
    Diet alone will burn fat if you are eating at a deficit to your daily calorie needs. You do not need to exercise if all your aim is is to lose 'weight'.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    By pretending you're a windmill trying to fend off Don Quixote.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

That's an old tired myth that sound be buried in the garden and never allowed to rear it's ugly head again!!! I see so many women doing just this day after day in the gym, it just makes me want to scream!! Lift heavy (for you), 6-8 reps, make that muscle work hard.
  • dbmata
    Options

Sounds like me at my boxing gym.

Consequently, hitting things a lot have helped my shoulders, neck and arms get harder.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    I'm not sure if some of you know... but resistance training whether it's through heavy weight or through higher reps will stimulate and trigger the same muscle growth at the end of the day (provided you get rest).

Increasing or progressively overloading through higher reps may give you better muscle "endurance" whereas lifting heavy as F may increase your over muscular strength... but at the end of the day you're still going to tone very similarly if you use proper form.

All your arguments over higher reps vs. high weight are mute. Every additional lb of muscle burns an additional 50 calories at rest.. since muscle is more dense and if you're not eating over maintenance calories your arms will slim down from any sort of training program.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate. I am under the impression that the original poster wants to improve the appearance of their arms. In order to do this, sculpting is the focus. Diet alone does not "sculpt" figure. You may lose weight by dieting alone, but will still have fat that remains stored. Why? Because dieting does not burn the fat necessary to sculpt muscle. Exercise, such as aerobic activities burns fat. Resistance training, which is anaerobic, conditions the muscles by ripping and tearing muscle fibers so they may regenerate cells that will improve elasticity and reshape the body by bonding together during the rest period. Nutrition is key to this process. Our cells feed on nutrients in order to survive, and as long as we provide these cells with the nutrients they need, we will see improvement in our bodies overall.

You cannot spot reduce, but you can spot train. If the focus is on having more shapely arms and more strength to perform weight training exercises, then my advice to the original poster is sound.

You can get rid of fat by diet alone...people are arguing because you are making incorrect statements. To help get some definition when you lose the fat, yes, strength training is important, but it will not directly get rid of the fat from any given area.
  • Banglore
    Banglore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is lifting heavy as simple as it sounds? Would I just have to lift heavier weights than I maybe normally would? Or is there more to it than that?
  • Warchortle
    Options

You can get rid of fat by diet alone...people are arguing because you are making incorrect statements. To help get some definition when you lose the fat, yes, strength training is important, but it will not directly get rid of the fat from any given area.
    You can also get rid of muscle through diet alone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You can also get rid of muscle through diet alone.

No -one said not to strength train.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options

Sounds like me at my boxing gym.

Consequently, hitting things a lot have helped my shoulders, neck and arms get harder.

Completely agree.
    Personally I think that boxing is one of the most under-rated workouts, Anyone who's not given this kind of training a go is missing out bigtime.
  • Warchortle
    Options
    Is lifting heavy as simple as it sounds? Would I just have to lift heavier weights than I maybe normally would? Or is there more to it than that?
    Lifting heavy is relative term. It's a weight that won't hurt you, but you can only achieve a certain rep ranges. 6-8+ is considered hypertrophy where 5 and below is considered more of a strength training. I mean 5x5 program is a little unique since it's compound movements... and we're talking about isolation movements, so let's say you pick a weight that you can only curl 6 times.... then follow that up with reverse bench flies.. maybe tricep extensions, then rinse and repeat 6-10 times. I like to do higher sets, but you may not.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner, the last concern should be becoming bulky. No offense, but that would require a few years of eating at a surplus while lifting heavy.

<--- Yup. I eat at maintenance and have been lifting for a few years. I started lifting HEAVY almost a year ago. I am far from bulky! :laugh: