what do you do to tone and slim your arms?

Options

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate. I am under the impression that the original poster wants to improve the appearance of their arms. In order to do this, sculpting is the focus. Diet alone does not "sculpt" figure. You may lose weight by dieting alone, but will still have fat that remains stored. Why? Because dieting does not burn the fat necessary to sculpt muscle. Exercise, such as aerobic activities burns fat. Resistance training, which is anaerobic, conditions the muscles by ripping and tearing muscle fibers so they may regenerate cells that will improve elasticity and reshape the body by bonding together during the rest period. Nutrition is key to this process. Our cells feed on nutrients in order to survive, and as long as we provide these cells with the nutrients they need, we will see improvement in our bodies overall.

You cannot spot reduce, but you can spot train. If the focus is on having more shapely arms and more strength to perform weight training exercises, then my advice to the original poster is sound.

There should be no further need to argue about this matter.

You can get rid of fat by diet alone...people are arguing because you are making incorrect statements. To help get some definition when you lose the fat, yes, strength training is important, but it will not directly get rid of the fat from any given area.
    You can also get rid of muscle through diet alone.

No -one said not to strength train.
    Well if someone wants to tone.. they want to retain muscle while losing weight, which is impossible without resistance training.. so saying losing fat is achievable through diet alone is an incomplete sentiment. Losing "weight" is achievable through diet alone would be more correct because as you lower in body weight things your lean body mass will also decrease along with fat, which may not intrinsically lower someone's body fat % to where tone becomes apparent.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Let me reiterate. I am under the impression that the original poster wants to improve the appearance of their arms. In order to do this, sculpting is the focus. Diet alone does not "sculpt" figure. You may lose weight by dieting alone, but will still have fat that remains stored. Why? Because dieting does not burn the fat necessary to sculpt muscle. Exercise, such as aerobic activities burns fat. Resistance training, which is anaerobic, conditions the muscles by ripping and tearing muscle fibers so they may regenerate cells that will improve elasticity and reshape the body by bonding together during the rest period. Nutrition is key to this process. Our cells feed on nutrients in order to survive, and as long as we provide these cells with the nutrients they need, we will see improvement in our bodies overall.

You cannot spot reduce, but you can spot train. If the focus is on having more shapely arms and more strength to perform weight training exercises, then my advice to the original poster is sound.

There should be no further need to argue about this matter.

You can get rid of fat by diet alone...people are arguing because you are making incorrect statements. To help get some definition when you lose the fat, yes, strength training is important, but it will not directly get rid of the fat from any given area.
    You can also get rid of muscle through diet alone.

No -one said not to strength train.
    Well if someone wants to tone.. they want to retain muscle while losing weight, which is impossible without resistance training.. so saying losing fat is achievable through diet alone is an incomplete sentiment. Losing "weight" is achievable through diet alone would be more correct because as you lower in body weight things your lean body mass will also decrease along with fat, which may not intrinsically lower someone's body fat % to where tone becomes apparent.

If you want to get pedantic...you can get rid of fat by diet alone, which is what I said. Reducing BF% and maintaining LBM is another matter and yes, strength training is important...as I said in the post.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should lift weights. Your diet will help you to lose the fat, whilst strength training will strengthen your muscles. It will not make you look "bulky". You will not gain muscle while you are eating to lose fat, as others have pointed out.

Lift weights that are heavy for you. You don't need to lift them 20 times, or even 10. I lift heavy weights that I can only lift 5 times, for instance. Most women are surprised to find out they can actually lift a lot more than a couple of 3 pound dumbbells if they give it a go. We carry relatively heavy stuff around all the time--think about it.
  • muayqis
    muayqis Posts: 72
    Options
    For arms to be leaned out, my advice would be: low amount of weight (like 3-10 pound dumbbells) with a high amount of reps(to burn more calories and work that muscle simultaneously). Also, up the cardio to burn the fat.
    could you explain how high reps, or any reps for that matter burns fat from arms?
    Seriously?
    I'm not an expert but.

Lifting anything at all will use up calories(unless there's some kind of way anyone knows to get movement without any energy expenditure(think you can get a lot of money if you figure this out)).
    Assuming everything else is constant(calories in, macros, exercise) and you add in an additional exercise( in this case low weight high rep exercise) then calories will be burned.
    Some of those calories will come from fat.
    Some of that fat will come from your arms.

Am i missing something?

I am not saying this is in any way the best way to get the results the OP is looking for.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

SO ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I CAN GET RIPPED ARMS BY JUST A DIET ???/

amazing.. which diet are you on???

i guess my bench press, push ups, tricep & bicep workouts are a complete waste of time.. OHhH THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME!!!! i appreciate it !
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ugn.. exercise does not burn fat or slim arms people. so why are you recommending it?

count calories, balance macros, and do full body compound exercises. fat will be lost as determined by genetics. there is no such thing as an arm toning exercise..

SO ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT I CAN GET RIPPED ARMS BY JUST A DIET ???/

amazing.. which diet are you on???

i guess my bench press, push ups, tricep & bicep workouts are a complete waste of time.. OHhH THANK YOU FOR CLEARING THAT UP FOR ME!!!! i appreciate it !

No, he is not saying that. Not sure why you are shouting.
  • brit_ks_89
    Options
    she asked out to TONE up the arms not lose fat ..
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Here is a thought...take a look at Sarauk2sf and the post above! Which would you rather have? I will go with Sara and her kick *kitten* methodology. IT WORKS!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Read the subject line again. TOPIC: what do you do to tone and slim your arms

Slim typically means "lose fat", yeah?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

"Tone" - what a horrible word. It doesn't really mean anything. Or, at least, people bandy it around like it means something.

Reduce BF% and retain LBM is what most people mean by "toning up". So to "tone up" (need to wash my mouth out even uttering those words!) you'll need to strength train and be in a calorie deficit. That's all. It's not magic - just takes time and hard work.

Want to "tone up" the arms? Lift some weights, eat at deficit - job done!
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    wow this topic has raised a few tempers:huh:
    spin poi, its fun which is key to keeping it up and improves arm and shoulder muscle, co-ordination and generally chills me out. its a maori thing and looks as awesome as it is to do
    have a nosey on youtube or world of poi:happy:
  • brit_ks_89
    Options

"Tone" - what a horrible word. It doesn't really mean anything. Or, at least, people bandy it around like it means something.

Reduce BF% and retain LBM is what most people mean by "toning up". So to "tone up" (need to wash my mouth out even uttering those words!) you'll need to strength train and be in a calorie deficit. That's all. It's not magic - just takes time and hard work.

Want to "tone up" the arms? Lift some weights, eat at deficit - job done!

obviously the person need to eat a deficit diet. i was referring to my post above this post and everybody else that says the op doesn't need to exercise .
  • brit_ks_89
    Options
    ugh
  • brit_ks_89
    Options
  • brit_ks_89
    Options

not not really . you can slim down by losing muscle too ..
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options

not not really . you can slim down by losing muscle too ..

Health reasons aside I think most people want to lose weight for aesthetic purposes. You CAN slim down losing muscle too, but I doubt anyone is going for that "emaciated AIDS patient look".
  • tmaree2
    tmaree2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I bet she regrets even asking the question...absolutely amazed at how some people are so rude and arrogant on this site...some of us are beginners and really don't know the answers...to all those that think they do..... lighten up and be polite to each other on these posts....it gets so ugly when people have a differing opinion..and that is exactly it...opinions! how many are professional athletes or sports scientists or dieticians or doctors and have done some credible education other than searching on the net!

think I will be changing over to another support site....some people on here not that supportive at all!!!
  • beatricelombule
    beatricelombule Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Try some Billy Blanks dvds and also Jillian Michaels workouts, they will tone you up, use light dumbbells but not too light. Try 30 day shred and no more trouble zones
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I bet she regrets even asking the question...absolutely amazed at how some people are so rude and arrogant on this site...some of us are beginners and really don't know the answers...to all those that think they do..... lighten up and be polite to each other on these posts....it gets so ugly when people have a differing opinion..and that is exactly it...opinions! how many are professional athletes or sports scientists or dieticians or doctors and have done some credible education other than searching on the net!

think I will be changing over to another support site....some people on here not that supportive at all!!!

It's not really an opinion though. Retain LBM and lose BF%. If you think that's one opinion against another, then you're wrong. It's not a matter of opinion - it's a fact.

You don't need to be a doctor to know these facts, btw.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i did massive damage to my shoulder a few years ago (13 bone dislocation, temporary paralysis blah blah blah) and so i can't lift heavy on that side but through swimming, netball and light weights i've achieved tone, still need to work on the triceps though.