Cheat Days

Options

Replies

• marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just log everything, so i don't cheat.
    If I go over i have to compensate it in the next days, by exercise or on diet.
    If that's not possible then I know why i don;t loose weight.
    So "cheaing" is allowed.
    Don't cheat on logging it.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Actually, a massive cheat day (I got burger king to deal with some depression) that kicked me 900 cal over my limit actually helped jump start a new week at a slightly lower calorie count. I felt satisfied and not trapped even as I was eating a few hundred less than I used to for the next few weeks. I'd plateaued at 231 , 231, 231, and then I had my cheat day and dropped to 1800/daily without feeling like I was depriving myself. That was two weeks ago and I'm at 227 and still ticking downwards.

The weekends, especially Saturdays, are my cheat days. I don't start a Saturday PLANNING to go over, is the thing-- but if I get in the mood for fast food or a massive iced mocha, I go ahead and get it. If I see I have 200 calories left and there's a 600 calorie scone calling my name for an after dinner snack, I hit that **** hard. I find that knowing I can have the things I crave- -just not right now-- helps me eat at my level or at a deficit for the rest of the week, and I always average out at right around my goal . Some Saturdays I wind up eating at a deficit because I'm not in the mood. I take it as it comes.

It's more psychological than anything (although there's something to be said for goosing your metabolism by reminding your body that there's plenty of food around). If you feel guilty and you don't like it, don't do it. But if you tend to feel trapped or depressed by your calorie limits, getting that extra slice of pizza one day a week can ease up the strain on you. It's a personal choice.
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I never have a cheat day, but I have no foods off limit, I eat what I want when I want, so I guess to some people on here if they looked at my diary every day would be a cheat day, I've been eating that way now for 9 months and have maintained the same weight for the same amount of time ????
  • voyagewithme
    Options
    People tend to have largely different versions of what a cheat day is. I personally don't allow myself a whole day to eat whatever. That just seems a little over the top and detrimental to my progress. I allow myself one meal per week where i can eat whatever i want. That doesn't mean i'm gonna eat a whole pizza by myself on a saturday night! A cheat meal to meal is 2 pieces of pizza or a candy bar, Unhealthy foods eaten in moderation!
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    I recently just switched to a weekly calorie goal. This allows me to "bank" unused calories throughout the week and use them on the weekends! I am loving it because I was certainly feeling too restricted with my old plan.
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Usually 1 or 2 Sunday's a month we splurge on dinner and a dessert. Today I was kinda bad though and ate bugles and m&ms in addition to our takeout dinner lol. I don't let it consume me like I used to though, and I have been steadily losing weight :)
  • Nai280
    Nai280 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my cheat days are sundays. i normally dont track on that day some people do it and some dont agree. its like we are cheating ourselves. and yes i have loss with cheat days. my weigh is are on sunday mornings and then my cheat day begins lol so it evens out.
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you have a "cheat" day, you might feel better calling it a "spike" day, where you allot yourself more calories than usual, or just splurge on one really good meal. I allow myself to do this 1-2 times a week so I can go out to dinner if I want or just enjoy something like a good dessert. :) I did this most of the time while I was losing weight and other than a day or two of water retention, my progress wasn't hindered at all.
    Wow!! Congrats on the progress!! Keep it up! :happy:
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    my cheat days are sundays. i normally dont track on that day some people do it and some dont agree. its like we are cheating ourselves. and yes i have loss with cheat days. my weigh is are on sunday mornings and then my cheat day begins lol so it evens out.
    Maybe I will try it that way!! Thanks!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I recently just switched to a weekly calorie goal. This allows me to "bank" unused calories throughout the week and use them on the weekends! I am loving it because I was certainly feeling too restricted with my old plan.
    Amazing!! And with sooo many pounds lost, who am I to disagree!! Congratulations!! :bigsmile:
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    I used to but now I just eat a sweet once a day and stay in my calorie goal but usually am netting low to begin with

Sometimes ill eat a candy bar just to boost my calorie intake cuz I don't eat fried food and gluten in general due to the fact I'm allergic
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I don't do cheat days. The more you swerve from your life style change path, the harder it is to recover. One of the points of losing weight and getting healthy is to stop looking at junk food as a source of joy, elation, or pleasure. Eating healthfully can be a pleasurable experience. So much of my life has spent using food as an antidepressant that it is no wonder I had to start at 362 pounds. I still have a ways to go but I'm already starting to feel better.
    Thank you for that insightful reply!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I dont do cheet days, because this isnt a DIET.. its a lifestyle change. If i want something i have it in moderation and balance the calories.
    Thanks for the comment!! and....WOW congrats on the weight loss!!!
  • RyanOnInsanity
    RyanOnInsanity Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hopped on the Tim Ferris bandwagon maybe 2 years ago, which introduced me to the idea of a 'cheat day.' I would have an entire day per week to eat whatever I wanted (usually including pizza, soda and ice cream among other things) and still managed to drop ~35 lbs over two months. With my personality it was perfect because any time I wanted something that I shouldn't have been eating I would just tell myself 'you can have it on saturday' and then push it entirely out of mind. Added benefit for me: sometimes I would try to cram so much garbage into one day and end up feeling so sick that I just stopped craving a lot of those foods altogether.

So to answer your original question - yes, it is possible to have a weekly cheat day and still lose weight. I would suggest not overdoing it like I did though...
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I used to think I'd have cheat days when I first started out here, especially since my work sometimes involves eating (I write about theme parks and attractions, and they have events that involve food). But over the past few weeks that attitude has changed. Now I don't see it as a cheat day but as a "life got in the way" day. I try to minimize the damage with exercise, if possible, and I never let it be an excuse to slack off for additional days. I don't beat myself up over it either. Life isn't perfect, so I figure my eating doesn't have to be, either, as long as I stay within my calories the majority of the time.

I'll probably allow myself some indulgences like a Melting Pot outing one of these days, but rather than see it as a cheat day, I'll do some extra exercise and remind myself that it's okay to do something like that every now and then. Surprisingly, though, since I've been eating healthy and shifting toward more vegetarian meals, I don't have as much desire for big, sugary indulgences like that. My body wants the good stuff now.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. Once or twice a month I have a meal or day where I don't count calories, so I guess that is my cheat day although I don't label it as anything. This weekend we're having a Cinco de Mayo party (hello enchiladas, guacamole, and taco dip!) and I will be partaking of absolutely everything. Then, on Sunday, I'll be right back to counting calories again. It works for me, I'm at my goal, and I'm happy. On a daily basis I eat everything in moderation so I never feel deprived but there are times counting calories isn't going to happen (I'm sure our guests would love it if I asked for calorie counts on all the food they bring!) so I don't worry about it.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I started off having cheat days

Then I switched to cheat meals

And now if I want to have a cheat meal or day I earn the calories by working out for them

I feel better knowing that I have earned my fave foods
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Does anyone on here have a" cheat day" one day out of the week?? I tried this today and have not weighed myself yet. I kind of felt guilty after I ate the foods tho. I guess my real question is does anyone practice a cheat day and still manage to lose weight on their weigh in day??

i do have a cheat day where i don't weigh myself and don't exercise and become more relaxed with my eating....
    Although the following day I feel really guilty and work out twice as hard lol
    I've been doing this for about a month now and still lost 9lbs :)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    i do pizza hut pasta on tuesdays because its half off lol. so thats basically my cheat day. also my official weigh in day, in the morning. so that meal wont effect my weight since its been a full week since i ate it last XD