I discovered I eat 1200 calories in first half of day :(

Options
124»

Replies

• jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive feedback!

I did the calculations.

My BMR is 1570.
    My TDEE is 1735.

So should I be eating 20% less of my TDEE, is that correct?

MFP recommended the 1200 calories based on how much information I put in - I'm looking to lose 15 kilos, that is 33 pounds.

Several of you said to eat fruits - I used to start my morning with a bowl of fresh fruit, usually grapes, or frozen fruit from Aldi, with a cup of yogurt over it. This didn't sustain me until lunch, although I saw online that it's one of the better breakfasts nutrition-wise.
    Someone suggested porridge - I'm sorry I really don't like porridge, it makes me want to gag, just one of the (very few) foods I can't stand.

I now try to make 2 eggs in the microwave every morning, with a little cheese added, but I find I can't have just the eggs alone. I'm making this breakfast at work by the way, so there's limited flexibility as to what I can do with the eggs, it's just terribly inconvenient. And before you ask, no I can't make it at home before I leave, I have a long commute and when I leave home it's simply too early to eat, my schedule isn't favourable to making breakfast at home in the morning.

That's GREAT news!!!! You shouldn't feel near as hungry on that!!!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Its hard as heck, I was set up by MFP for 1260, even that extra 60 doesnt help. Its because of my age and because I dont work, so I'm supposed to starve. There are days when 1200 is fine, other days it just will not do.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks jodigirl, much appreciate that :) I find, after many years of being at healthy weight and eating what I wanted, food baffles me to some degree.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    SOME of us do have to follow a 1200 cal diet. I know this is shocking for the vast majority that are physically fit, (have a moderate amount of muscle), can burn up to 1000 cals in a single work out or they are bigger/ taller and/or live active lifestyles and are very active at work.

I eat to live, I do not live to eat. My BMR is 1050 and my TDEE is 1500. The most I can burn in a work out is 200 calls and my lifestyle & job are sedentary. And it takes me TWO weeks to lose ONE lb. So, 2 1/2 months to drop 5 measly lbs.

Congrats to all of you who can "eat more to weigh less."

For those of us who do not fall in this category I'm going to offer advice for us disgusting bottom feeder 1200 cal eaters. (Trust me, if you want to make enemies just tell them you eat 1200 calls, .... friends will run like you just told them you have the plague.

*Disclaimer - I LOVE FOOD AND I'M HUNGRY!!!! I am not an anorexic, NOR DO I have any other kind of eating disorder. (Which is what ppl assume about you the min you tell them you eat 1200 calls.) That or you're undereducated about nutrition & weight loss.

SO for us 1200 cal eaters, (and by the way I did not read your comments because they are all the same once you openly admit to eating 1200 cals), BUT for us 5% that HAVE to, here's how to get through the day w/o skipping any meals.

Breakfast:
    Old fashioned quaker oats with a handful of fruit or nuts; 2 egg whites & a tsp of healthy fat
    (Allow yourself no more than 300 cals for this meal)

Lunch-
    ham sandwich, tuna sandwich no mayo, a lean piece of meat (chicken or whatever, assuming you eat meat), and 3/4 plate of freshly steamed veggies
    (Also again no more than 300 cals for this meal)

Dinner: salmon or another fish/lean meat, w/ veggies or a salad (oil & vinegar or twist of lemon)
    (approx 300 cals again)

That leaves you 300 cals for snacks throughout the day and there are a bunch of snacks for under 100 calls. I suggest fruit, 94% FF snack size popcorn, juiced drinks, a protein shake or bar.

It's your cal's, budget them like you do your money on payday.

Better choices is an art that has to be played with and mistakes will be made. Forgive yourself, pick up the pieces and eat a lighter dinner on the days you've gone over. Nobody should be skipping meals. You'll probably have made up for it once you get the hang of it or by the end of the week.

Good luck!!
    And in closing, .... hey I hope you do fall into the "eat more to weigh less category. Congrats if you do - TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!

what are your stats? (height/weight/age) if you dont mind me asking...

my guess is that you are quite short, and thus not a good indicator for the needs of the general population.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive feedback!

I did the calculations.

My BMR is 1570.
    My TDEE is 1735.

So should I be eating 20% less of my TDEE, is that correct?

MFP recommended the 1200 calories based on how much information I put in - I'm looking to lose 15 kilos, that is 33 pounds.

Several of you said to eat fruits - I used to start my morning with a bowl of fresh fruit, usually grapes, or frozen fruit from Aldi, with a cup of yogurt over it. This didn't sustain me until lunch, although I saw online that it's one of the better breakfasts nutrition-wise.
    Someone suggested porridge - I'm sorry I really don't like porridge, it makes me want to gag, just one of the (very few) foods I can't stand.

I now try to make 2 eggs in the microwave every morning, with a little cheese added, but I find I can't have just the eggs alone. I'm making this breakfast at work by the way, so there's limited flexibility as to what I can do with the eggs, it's just terribly inconvenient. And before you ask, no I can't make it at home before I leave, I have a long commute and when I leave home it's simply too early to eat, my schedule isn't favourable to making breakfast at home in the morning.

i typically don't recommend people eat below their BMR, but if you're dead set on doing so, I wouldn't go below 1400, which is about 20% less than your TDEE.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    what you said about not being able to eat eggs alone - NEITHER CAN I!! I love eggs but gotta have something with them. In trying to eat as best I can, I always add 1/8 cup salmon with my eggs.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    oh, and hard boil your eggs ahead of time and then you can just grab+go.

microwaving eggs doesn't sound like a great idea to me... but whatever works I guess.
  • know1seep
    know1seep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? we can make suggestions to change maybe if you tell us
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    I can't, hard boiled eggs give me stinkies, but for some reason microwaved ones don't? Do the micro waves kill whatever it is in eggs that causes stinkies?

Thanks for the 1400 recommendation, I feel that's a more reasonable goal for me.
  • jodigirl03
    jodigirl03 Posts: 111
    Options
    SOME of us do have to follow a 1200 cal diet. I know this is shocking for the vast majority that are physically fit, (have a moderate amount of muscle), can burn up to 1000 cals in a single work out or they are bigger/ taller and/or live active lifestyles and are very active at work.

I eat to live, I do not live to eat. My BMR is 1050 and my TDEE is 1500. The most I can burn in a work out is 200 calls and my lifestyle & job are sedentary. And it takes me TWO weeks to lose ONE lb. So, 2 1/2 months to drop 5 measly lbs.

Congrats to all of you who can "eat more to weigh less."

For those of us who do not fall in this category I'm going to offer advice for us disgusting bottom feeder 1200 cal eaters. (Trust me, if you want to make enemies just tell them you eat 1200 calls, .... friends will run like you just told them you have the plague.

*Disclaimer - I LOVE FOOD AND I'M HUNGRY!!!! I am not an anorexic, NOR DO I have any other kind of eating disorder. (Which is what ppl assume about you the min you tell them you eat 1200 calls.) That or you're undereducated about nutrition & weight loss.

SO for us 1200 cal eaters, (and by the way I did not read your comments because they are all the same once you openly admit to eating 1200 cals), BUT for us 5% that HAVE to, here's how to get through the day w/o skipping any meals.

Breakfast:
    Old fashioned quaker oats with a handful of fruit or nuts; 2 egg whites & a tsp of healthy fat
    (Allow yourself no more than 300 cals for this meal)

Lunch-
    ham sandwich, tuna sandwich no mayo, a lean piece of meat (chicken or whatever, assuming you eat meat), and 3/4 plate of freshly steamed veggies
    (Also again no more than 300 cals for this meal)

Dinner: salmon or another fish/lean meat, w/ veggies or a salad (oil & vinegar or twist of lemon)
    (approx 300 cals again)

That leaves you 300 cals for snacks throughout the day and there are a bunch of snacks for under 100 calls. I suggest fruit, 94% FF snack size popcorn, juiced drinks, a protein shake or bar.

It's your cal's, budget them like you do your money on payday.

Better choices is an art that has to be played with and mistakes will be made. Forgive yourself, pick up the pieces and eat a lighter dinner on the days you've gone over. Nobody should be skipping meals. You'll probably have made up for it once you get the hang of it or by the end of the week.

Good luck!!
    And in closing, .... hey I hope you do fall into the "eat more to weigh less category. Congrats if you do - TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!

what are your stats? (height/weight/age) if you dont mind me asking...

my guess is that you are quite short, and thus not a good indicator for the needs of the general population.

5'1", 125 lbs, age 42, sedentary. My Dr. says I should be between 108-119

I'd like to lose 5

There's quite a few of us out there but by no means "average."
  • FeelingLessChubby
    Options
    what you said about not being able to eat eggs alone - NEITHER CAN I!! I love eggs but gotta have something with them. In trying to eat as best I can, I always add 1/8 cup salmon with my eggs.

Ooh what kind of salmon, canned or smoked or one you got raw and cooked at home?
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I just checked out your food diary. Chicken nuggets and juice, while delicious, won't fill you up and you'l be feeling famished really fast, forcing you to eat EVEN MORE calories. Instead of juice, drink a water and have a cup of steamed broccoli. Not only will you cut out hundreds of calories that way, you'll be much fuller much longer. For breakfast, I suggest some instant oatmeal with fruit. You'll have carbs to start the day with energy. Have a snack between each meal, like a low fat yogurt. And for dinner have a lean protein (i.e. chicken or trimmed pork) with two veggies...peas and carrots are my favorites. Eat more nuts for healthy fat and more fibrous vegetables. You'll stay fuller longer for less calories without taking a hit in nutrition.

Eggs are a great source a protein. Scramble some and throw them in to an impromptu stir fry. Light soy sauce, veggies, brown rice. Really nutritious, really light on the calorie level. :) Good luck!
  • MariaHammer750
    MariaHammer750 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Just looks like you need to make a few changes in your diet, plus some exercise and a little moderation. Its what many of us overweight people have had to learn in order to undo the damages from unhealthy eating and lack of exercise. Have you tried Turkey Bacon? It is probably more than half the calories of real bacon. Also, there are some lower calories breads and bagels that you could eat to lower your caloric intake. If you are not a fan of oatmeal, have you tried Jimmy Dean Delite breakfast sandwiches or Special K Breakfast sandwiches? They are a little high in sodium so I can't eat them myself, but if sodium is not an issue for you, it is a good low cal/low fat breakfast for people on the run. One thing I have found helpful is looking at the food diaries of others to get ideas and just being open to trying new foods and ways in which to prepare them. Good luck to you and if you need a good supportive pal on here, feel free to add me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs work very well in the microwave. Just go slow, maybe low or medium power, and stir them once or twice. I like them with a little cheese, and some refried beans, or ham and spinach, or tomatoes, which are surprisingly delicious with eggs.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Salsa's good with eggs.