preteen is over-weight

Options
1235»

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 13. He's severely autistic. He is on a medication for his anger/fear problems and he's 5'5" and 175. I'm swimming with him daily and encouraging him to ride his bike. Yesterday he had three eggo waffles and then about 20 minutes later had a plate with two pieces of pizza on it.

I asked him to wait until 3 pm to eat it (it was 1 pm). The meltdown that ensued lasted an hour.

The medicine isn't working, he's still very aggressive, but I can't take it away until we see the psychiatrist in June. I'm so frustrated.

Jan
    having seen those sort of meltdowns, they look like a pretty good workout!

it sounds frustrating for both of you. poor kid.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 11 and she is 148lbs. We are on the calorie counting thing, thingand we exercise everyday. But is is still gaining weight. At least a lb a week. Can someone give me any suggestions on what i should do. Im tired of my baby crying and saying she will always be fat no matter what she does. Im trying to stay postive but its starting to worry me. If you have an suggestions, i would appreciate it.

Get off the internet and discuss this with her doctor.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    You sound like a loving mom who just wants the best for her child. Every parent aches for their kids when they are picked on. Things I have noticed over the years is truly happy people don't use food as comfort. Food is not the highpoint of their day. Anyone struggling with food needs to find a happy replacement. When people find out what they look forward to, food becomes fuel and their hobby becomes their happiness. Weight comes off without trying because focus is rarely on food. Have her keep trying different things till she finds her bliss. Swimming,martial arts, musical instruments, skate boarding, reading, dancing, baseball, hockey, sewing, ceramics, bowling, roller blading, bike riding, shooting pool, figure skating, tennis, badminton, horse back riding, canoing, kayaking, anything. check with your city to see if buisnesses offer sample lessons (8 week programs) to see if the kids like that particular sport. I have seen lessons for dance, martial arts, tennis, arts and crafts, etc and usually under $30. Its clear you just want the best for your daughter. Good luck. I should add self confidence is so important, teach her that she doesn't deserve to be treated badly under any circumstances. She needs to know that people who pick on her are actually the ones with issues, not her. Explain to her that kids who pick on other kids to pump themselves up are small minded people that don't have enough self worth to shine on their own, they need to deflect bad feelings on someone else to feel important. The kids that are cruel will continue to be if you allow them to be. If they think they are not getting to you, they will eventually move on to someone else.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better I was slim and still picked on. In my case it was because I was tall of all things. Kids will always find something to pick on if they want to. If it's not weight then it's height, or hair, or you don't have the right clothes, or your parents don't have the right job etc etc.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Definitely take her to a doctor. Get her involved in making healthy, whole foods, snacks and meals. Model good behavior.