620 days on MFP + First HALF MARATHON race!!! (pics)

Options
joyzy
joyzy Posts: 97 Member
Today was my 620th consecutive day logging into MFP.

In the past 620 days I have:

Progressed from a wheelchair to walking to running.
Logged over 440 hours of exercise.
Run over 1500 miles.
Lost over 100 pounds.
Gone from 270lbs to ~165-167lbs.
Dropped from a size 24 dress to a size 8/10.
Learned that anything is possible.

Here's me in the summer of 2011.
IMG_5141-3.jpg

620 days may seem like a lot, but really, it's not. It's less than two years. What I've done in the last 620 days is crazy. I went from a partially paralyzed spinal cord injury patient in a wheel chair, to a half marathon race finisher - and I RAN the whole thing!

Today was AMAZING!!! I ran in the St. Luke's Half Marathon in Allentown, PA. It was my first half marathon race.

Partway through the run. SO HAPPY!!!
6803C5C6-6E59-47D5-98BF-2928196FA5C7-13925-00000E36B075DC8B_zps1231fadd.jpg

My fan club (husband, 3 kids, brother and sister in law) met up with me a few times on the course, and this was at mile 12.5. What great timing, I really used their energy to finish out the last bit of the race.
2013-04-28halfmarathon001_zps189161a2.jpg

Finished running! 2:24:59. That's 11:05min/mile avg pace and also includes standing in line for the bathroom at mile 5.5! Certainly not the fastest but I'm so happy with how the race went. This was my fourth time running this distance (I ran it three times since February prior in training), but I felt SO GOOD the entire time I was running. It was my first time running this distance where I still felt like I had fuel left in the tank when I was done.
5ffca68b-eed8-4e9b-ab5e-5e57a52e33f8_zps49169de5.jpg

What's up next, oh I signed up for a little thing called the Philadelphia Marathon, which is in November 2013. FULL Marathon training starts in 8 weeks!!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Answers to Frequently asked questions:

I'm 32 years old, 5' 8.5", mother of three kids ages 2.5, 4.5, and 7.

I lost the weight by using MFP for logging every single thing I ate and drank for the first 11 months. That is where I lost the first 100 pounds. During this time I was eating about 1500-1600 calories/day. I also exercised daily. Starting with walking, then adding in jogging and now lifting.

My current routine is running 6 days/week, lifting 2 days/week and 1-2 cardio cross training sessions per week, lately I've been liking swimming. I take one day of complete REST every week, so the rest of this stuff (run/lift/cross train) is jammed into the other six days.

Thanks for reading!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Replies

• fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job! Your story is really inspiring!
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Amazing what a great story. Very inspirational! :)
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    so amazingly awesome!!!!!! you have kicked some major *kitten* in the last 620 days!!! i love reading your blogs, posts, and your status updates!!!! here is to 620 more awesome days!!!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Not only is that a wonderful, inspirational story but you also look amazing!!! Congratulations!!!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! Stories like this definitely prove that if you work hard and actually put your effort into it, you can do anything! I'm going to have to remember your story anytime I get discouraged, and push myself to keep going. :happy:
  • Log_n_Jog
    Log_n_Jog Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Congratulations on all of your success. :)
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all your accomplishments! You look amazing and you are amazing! Hope you have a great time at the Philadelphia Marathon!
  • cincigina
    cincigina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job. Love your story.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration.
    Congrats.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What sort of rehab program did you go through to get that far after a spinal injury? I have an old hip injury and have tried to avoid running because of the impact, but if you can run a half marathon after an injury like that, I certainly can get back to running! You're such an inspiration!
  • DianaV86
    DianaV86 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What a great story...I'm so happy for you! Congrats on your half marathon!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Amazing!
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am so impressed with what you've done. Congratulations--that's 620 days of a lot of really hard work.

Kind of makes everybody else's excuses sound pretty lame!
  • katjo10
    katjo10 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You are a ROCKSTAR all the way! :flowerforyou:
  • kdzi
    kdzi Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love reading your success stories! You are such an inspiration, Joy!
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What an amazing inspiration for us all- Great Job and Good luck with the upcoming marathon and training! You Rock!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Simply astonishing! I'm so proud of you! Your story is truly inspirational!
  • HealthyPractitioner
    Options
    You look awesome! A true inspiration you are....well done! You look fantastic and super fit x
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congats on a fantastic job! You look great!!!!!!
  • harmanee2000
    harmanee2000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You rock!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!