Do squats really work the butt?

Options
12346»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is yes and no. The reason I say that is because the shoes you wear while doing your workouts heavily impact whether or not the butt is being properly worked. Running shoes, and any shoe that has a heel raised significantly higher than the front of the foot, takes the load off of the glute and hamstring and places it primarily on the quadriceps muscle. Whereas if you were barefoot or wearing flat-soled shoes that did not have a raised heel, these three muscle groups would be splitting the load evenly.

I didn't know that! That maybe explains why I've seen guys at the gym squatting with their heels on a piece of wood. I thought it was a flexibility thing, but they're probably trying to target their quads.

That or they just want to see bigger numbers on their lifts. When you squat with a raised heel you can lift more. Also, for some people, it can be a flexibility thing. But they need to try to improve it, not work around it like that.

I actually squat less with a raised heel becuase it limits the glute/ham action. I often put a plate under my heels specifically because I want quad hypertrophy.
  • fliedlice84
    Options
    HELL. FREAKING. YES.

If you have a gym membership to 24 Hour Fitness, I suggest going to the Body Pump class. It really shaped my rear...Boyfriend is amazed, as well as myself.

Do lunges too. -With weights. But that class incorporates all of that, so I suggest taking that route.

GL!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I should have also thrown in the that I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. So I can only go so low, and I can only do so heavy, but I do them to the point it burns.

Basically wanna know what are other things I can do that aren't so hard on the knees.

Great replies so far!

I, too, have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. And I thought I would never be able to do these movements. (I've had the arthritis since I was a teen - good times).

Go for Quality over Quantity. Make sure your form is 100% bang on. 100%. If the form is correct, there is less pressure on the knees. You don't need to do 50 squats to see benefits - lower quantity with correct form is going to get you a lot further.

You want to hear the REALLY Awesome of squats? It will strengthen the muscles in your legs and butt, and that in turn will make things easier on your knees in your daily life. It's awesome. AWESOME.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I should have also thrown in the that I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees. So I can only go so low, and I can only do so heavy, but I do them to the point it burns.

Basically wanna know what are other things I can do that aren't so hard on the knees.

Great replies so far!

I didn't feel like reading through the whole thread so I apologize if this is a repeat, but how about kettlebells? I notice my booty is firmer since I started...swings are great for the butt. You can also do tactical lunges, single leg dead lifts, and deck squats, with the kettlebell. I started by using Iron Core Kettlebell DVDs by Sara Lurie. Give it a try!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i did the 30day squat challenge...and yup...i took before & after pics....and the results were amazing.....my boyfriend stares at the after pic endlessly amazing.....try the challenge.....
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You want to hear the REALLY Awesome of squats? It will strengthen the muscles in your legs and butt, and that in turn will make things easier on your knees in your daily life. It's awesome. AWESOME.
    This, and like the link I posted said, strength training is great for arthritis. It worked for me:
    IMG_20130125_175256-1.jpg
  • shadiel
    shadiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump
  • enzio33
    enzio33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are the best for your butt. Use a heavy wait and make sure you back to straight. Deadlifts won't hurt your knees doing it correctly. Good luck!
  • enzio33
    enzio33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, what is the 30 day squat challenge? I'm interested on what the program is and where you get it? thank you! ;-) :happy:
  • kellyes86
    kellyes86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Squat deeper
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I used Jessica Smith's - 10 Minute Solution - Belly, Butt And Thigh Blaster. When I was doing this religiously my butt/felt great! I usually did 30 mins (so 3 ten min workouts) mixing it up each time I did it. It hurts so badly...you won't be able to walk well the next day if you do it correctly!
  • cwood2002
    cwood2002 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • OnlyOneOcean1
    Options
    Yes and in a major way if you do a lot of them (over 40) with correct form: But out and down, using your core & butt muscles to push you back up.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I like weighted glute bridges & dead lifts. One legged glute bridges with your foot on a ball is awesome too.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    You could also do weighted pelvic thrusts :smile:

^^ These. You may look ridiculous but they work the butt like crazy. Also deadlifts and bulgarian split squats. Pair these things together and you won't walk straight for days
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    The answer to this question is yes and no. The reason I say that is because the shoes you wear while doing your workouts heavily impact whether or not the butt is being properly worked. Running shoes, and any shoe that has a heel raised significantly higher than the front of the foot, takes the load off of the glute and hamstring and places it primarily on the quadriceps muscle. Whereas if you were barefoot or wearing flat-soled shoes that did not have a raised heel, these three muscle groups would be splitting the load evenly.

I didn't know that! That maybe explains why I've seen guys at the gym squatting with their heels on a piece of wood. I thought it was a flexibility thing, but they're probably trying to target their quads.

That or they just want to see bigger numbers on their lifts. When you squat with a raised heel you can lift more. Also, for some people, it can be a flexibility thing. But they need to try to improve it, not work around it like that.

I actually squat less with a raised heel becuase it limits the glute/ham action. I often put a plate under my heels specifically because I want quad hypertrophy.

Most weightlifting shoes (used by powerlifters and oly lifters alike) have a heel that gives some lift to it. The reason that running shoes and other types of trainers are frowned on is that the cushioned heel absorbs some of the force exerted to make the lift.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    http://www.blogilates.com/legs-thighs

I did this work out video 2 days ago and my thighs and bum are still hurting from it. I didn't feel a burn too much from 30DS squats, these one though, holy *kitten*!!!
  • bunni3sgo_me0w
    Options
    There are 3 main tissues in the bum . There are also three excersices that each work the main tissues in the bum . Jumping jacks , lunges , and squats .