sunshinestate
sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
1 can chickpeas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

Put all this in a blender with a little water. 600 calories for the entire lot and GREAT to smear on bread/wraps or dip veggies in.

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    thanks yay a blender!! I thought I had to have a food processer.

Happy Dance!:smokin:
  • sunshinestate
    Options
    Nope, blenders work great, but you have to work at getting it out with a spoon. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    ooh yum. . . I will try this.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Right on! I've been wanting to make hummus, I LOVE it!
  • writer190
    writer190 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Or, if you don't want to used canned chickpeas (this takes a bit more time):

Put out one cup dried chickpeas the night before with 1 tsp baking powder and 3 cups water. The next day, cover chickpeas with cool water (and 1/2 tsp baking powder) and put up to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

(I personally use 1/4 cup tahini, 1 garlic clove, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/3 cup water, and 1-2 tsp salt; but I'm sure sunshinestate's recipe is just as delicious!)
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    Options
    great recipe, thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Sebastiansmommy
    Options
    Or, if you don't want to used canned chickpeas (this takes a bit more time):

Put out one cup dried chickpeas the night before with 1 tsp baking powder and 3 cups water. The next day, cover chickpeas with cool water (and 1/2 tsp baking powder) and put up to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.

(I personally use 1/4 cup tahini, 1 garlic clove, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/3 cup water, and 1-2 tsp salt; but I'm sure sunshinestate's recipe is just as delicious!)
    Thats what I do, except I go one step further. I make my own Tahini. Just need to toast 1 cup of sesame seeds( dont burn) and blend it up with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.:bigsmile:
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    i actually do my chickpeas in the crockpot. I can pick up a bag of dried chickpeas for $1 and it's the equivalent of 6 cans. I use @2 cans worth for hummus and put 2 cans worth in a tupperware and freeze them. Much cheaper than using canned.

i :heart: hummus
  • Coopersamma
    Options
    Bump!! Want to add to topics!!
  • nikiswimr
    nikiswimr Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Totally going to try this!
  • sb1619
    sb1619 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yummy, I have to make this!
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This is awesome.

Pre-made Hummus is totally a trigger food for me.
  • KAskinny
    KAskinny Posts: 50
    Options
    dude! I love hummus! and had no idea you could get the chickpeas not in a can!
    I'm totally headin' to the store now! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • elizamary77
    elizamary77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and recipes.....love hummus
  • barty
    barty Posts: 729
    Options
    Bump.......thanks!!!
  • donnaleecam
    donnaleecam Posts: 54
    Options
    I've never made it...thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Nope, blenders work great, but you have to work at getting it out with a spoon. If I can do it, anyone can.
    :laugh: good to know! Now if only I could make Pita bread without a food processer:tongue::huh: :laugh:

Thanks again for the simple recipe:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    i actually do my chickpeas in the crockpot. I can pick up a bag of dried chickpeas for $1 and it's the equivalent of 6 cans. I use @2 cans worth for hummus and put 2 cans worth in a tupperware and freeze them. Much cheaper than using canned.

i :heart: hummus
    wow, you hummus fans are BRILLIANT, awesome idea.:wink:
    Great tip, thanks :)

GB's are wonderful roasted as well, I'll dig the recipe out for that!:drinker:
  • sunshinestate
    Options
    A friend of mine recommended adding roasted egglplant to it - sounds good! I have been eating my 600 calorie batch for two days now, dipping sliced cucumber and baby tomatoes in it. Sooooo good and so low-cal.

It's almost like potato chips to me.

But I have a good imagination ;-)