What am I doing wrong?

Options
124»

Replies

• bigdgeek
    bigdgeek Posts: 88
    Options
    You said you already had your RMR. Thyroid would effect metabolic rate. If your RMR is normal, more than likely your thyroid is normal. You won't get results untill you come to terms that ever thing is an estimate. Stop trying to put the blame on other things. You keep on justifying things. You have said, "i count diligently, i exercise, i eat under my TDEE"

To the best of my knowledge, I am. I underestimate my TDEE by using the 'sedentary' setting on MFP and only logging exercise. I do not log time spent sitting at my desk, for example. I'm not insisting that I have a thyroid disorder, either. I suspected I might, so I had my thyroid checked by two different doctors. It came in low-normal both times.
    counting diligently
    You believe all the foods in the database are correct? Someone can easily put double the amount of calories in a food. many foods have actually been tested according to the calories on the package. Many of them are highly over. This will cause someone to be eating more than what they think.

No, I don't. I double-check them against the packages themselves, and only use entries that match those. I don't have my own lab in my kitchen so I have to rely on food databases to estimate caloric content.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Since you are lifting, don't just pay attention to the calorie stuff, set your macros by this too. If you don't eat the macros properly, you are wasting that lifting. I'm not sure why your doctors aren't just telling you that your weight is fine, focus on body composition if you want to make some changes.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html is probably a calculator you would like.

I made a spreadsheet to calculate all your macros for you, but it's not recommended for beginners to start counting their macros. It can be to overwealming for them. I dealt with a lot of people and i told many of them not to count their macros because they are all stressed out about their "protein" I told them not to worry about. They are doing a lot better now.

But if she is 126 at 5'6, what else is there to worry about, particularly since she is lifting?
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    That exact scenario happened to me and is quite normal after losing significant weight and eating at a deficit for a long time. I would recommend doing what I am doing right now to bust through and begin losing again. I have 3 weeks to go of eating at maintenance level for 2 months. (My TDEE, which is 2250). No deficit for now. Then I will eat at a modest deficit again for while and then cycle back to maintenance. I've been eating maintenance level calories for 5-6 weeks and have not gained a thing. From what I've read, that's the most successful way to keep losing. Take a "dieting break" for 2-3 months and then eat at a deficit again. (Goal of 1/2 lb. per week). This has worked for many people and stayed tuned to see how it works for me. It sure is better than beating my head against the wall, eating at a deficit forever and nothing happening. Also, I'm working on building muscle to help my metabolism and fat burning ability while eating these extra calories. Good luck!

That's how you prevent metabolic damage. /nod