Do you ever think: how did I get to this point?

Options
13»

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry are we talking about food here or something else?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Don't think about it like that, just think that this time next year you'll be glad you started today.
    I honestly feel like you have to have a cut off point where you think, 'I am never going to be over X weight'. It's probably easy for me to say because I don't have kids but the minute I feel my jeans get tight I sort it out. I never buy a size up, that's just giving in. Consequently I have never been overweight. It's just a 'keeping myself in check' attitude.
  • Davis911
    Davis911 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used food to deal with work anxiety. I used food to reward myself for doing a good job since it felt like I never got a pat on the back when I did do a good job.

Yes, many of use have been in that boat...
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Once upon a time, I was a skinny, vain cheerleader who was almost underweight.

At my highest, I weighed 300.1 lbs.

Yup, can definitely relate.
  • HarleighzMom
    HarleighzMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I felt that way too when I went to the doctor and I weighed as much as I did the week before I delivered my daughter. I agree with everyone else - the important thing is that you caught it and you are doing something about it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I KNOW how I got to this point. By paying attention to my job/friends/ family/farm/obligations/art and never bothering to pay any attention to what was going on with me.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I find myself looking at college pictures and remembering how fat I felt then--and wishing I could get back to that today and how grateful I'd be now if only I could snap my fingers and be that girl again.

And I get down on how I let myself go...

But then I reflect and remind myself that of life's challenges--losing weight is a pretty light burden all things considered. Some of my skinny and beautiful friends have it much worse--very sick (chronically) children, divorce or cheating spouses, unemployment, alcoholism etc.. and at the end of the day what I have to deal with is food and exercise and whether I make good choices about those two things. For me it is not life or death. A few extra lbs on my frame or a jean's size that is a bigger # than I've been led to believe is acceptable is not the end of it all. Nor does it mean I am lazy, dumb, self indulgent or ugly...it just means I am a work in progress.

And then I thank God I am not paid for my looks or weight and no paparazzi is taking unflattering pictures of me and making snarky remarks about my bod to everyone, and I give myself a mental hug, draw a line and step over it and tell myself that yesterday doesn't matter, and to keep going and that I can do it. After all--if I really could go back in time and re-do things I don't think the biggest mistakes I've ever made were the things I ate. (LOL)
  • TreySully1
    TreySully1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Of course, we all do that. You're not alone. I do think that guilt and shame are the two most detrimental emotions to a healthy self-assessment. When I was in high school, I was 5'10" and weighed 190 lbs, which is roughly 15 lbs overweight for me. I thought I was as big as an elephant and quit going to amusement parks because I was afraid I wouldn't fit on the rides! It's true. The guilt and shame of being heavier than the other girls made my self-assessment so far off kilter that I never loved myself. It only got worse after high school. The more I felt "how did I let myself get this fat?!?!?" The fatter I got. At 5'11" and 385, my max weight, I had weight loss surgery. I finally started to love the body that was forming with two a day two hour workouts, and of course, restricted eating. I reached my WL goal, but I wasn't done with the negative head noise. I had a catastrophic accident that nearly took my life and required the WL surgery to be reversed. Over the course of 10 years, I regained all but 50 lbs, and I again asked myself "how did I get here?" That question is almost irrelevant. Once I started concentrating on what I needed to do to get healthy, I stopped asking that self-defeating question. I have lost 55 lbs and would like to lose 80 more, but the number isn't important. As long as I get rest, drink plenty of water, eat what's good for me, and move my body every single day, I know I am living the good life. I've never been so happy eating and living right.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I've recently started using MFP on a regular basis again since March. I started at my heaviest at 208 and now I am down to 197... 11lbs, not bad, but...

I went to my Dr and she told me how much I weighed in 2007. 172lbs! I thought I was heavy back then, but I think to myself, "how could I have carelessly gained so much more weight??" I have friends and relatives who have never struggled with their weight, not once, in their whole lives. It makes me wonder what makes me so different that I've developed this unhealthy relationship with food. I hate to make comparisons, because everyone is unique, but I just hate myself for developing this vice with food.

I just can't stop kicking myself in the butt about it. Since my Drs visit, I feel even more disgusted with myself than ever, even though I'm doubling my efforts to lose weight.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?

Yes I have but I don't really let it get me down. I had a really stressful last year financially/ with my developmentally delayed son and was on a medication that made me super hungry. I am never going to allow myself to be put on meds that cause me to gain weight again. I had lost 60 lbs the year before and got down to about 200 but stopped because I felt hungry all the time and I was not able to fight off hunger 24/7. I gained 100 lbs last year. This time I have lost 17 lbs so far and gone of the medication that caused the increased appetite. My appetite is returning to normal and I feel more like myself.
  • donthegeek
    donthegeek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think about it all the time and believe me, it bothers me. I left the Air Force in '98 after hearing for 13 years how fat I was, 5'10 at 184 lbs. Once I was out, I just didn't let weight worry me anymore. Fast forward to Jan 2013 and I'm touching 300 lbs on the scale, it was a moment that stopped and slapped me around a little bit.
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I think the same thing. I had a hard time adjusting to life after college, where I had been kind of heavy and managed to lose weight, but it all went back on and then some. When I weighed myself on the Wii in February and saw I was 219 pounds, it was a shock...I didn't think I had gotten that out of control. Now, I feel bad for not paying attention sooner when I feel like I am going to die during a Jillian Michaels DVD. I am trying to reverse everything I may have caused and praying it isn't too late...