Politics make me grumpy.

Options

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL1KhzK4Yx293u9TKDdp2s4GouaTRV4myYY-SDt-K_rxugtOn5

LOL Love it

Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.

William F. Buckley, Jr.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Gah, I LOVE Jon Stewart. I'm going to marry him one day.

And, I'm a political science major, so I've heard it all. It makes me frustrated at times (especially sweeping generalizations about ANYBODY) but I ♥ politics so much!

Not if I marry him first! I have a thing for older dudes. And no, I don't have daddy issues! lol
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

And, I'm a political science major, so I've heard it all. It makes me frustrated at times (especially sweeping generalizations about ANYBODY) but I ♥ politics so much!

Not if I marry him first! I have a thing for older dudes. And no, I don't have daddy issues! lol

We can always share! I'm a pretty sharing person, so I wouldn't mind. You down for that?

Oh, and I tend to like older men too. I don't know why, but I do.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My stance on politics can be described by the lyrics from the Korn song "Politics"
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...If marriage isn't a religious institution then why are so many marriages performed by clergy? Marriage is a sacrament of the Roman Catholic church, which was established approximately 1300 years before our country...

Marriage is a social contract. It tends to share associations and customs with whatever religion is celebrated in a given area. It's not a Catholic thing. There is no requirement for clergy to perform a "ceremony" of marriage. People ALL OVER the world for EONS have been entering into these contracts.

ETA: Marriage is an agreement between people (and may or may not include a god) with expectations regarding family, sharing of resources, rights and responsibilities, inheritance, sexual behavior, etc. Marriage contracts are not the same everywhere, and they weren't just suddenly invented a couple thousand years ago. My marriage contract happens to include God, but that's me. I'm not arrogant enough to think my way is the only way that exists on this earth. Just because some people may not believe in a god, doesn't mean they aren't capable of forming an exclusive marriage bond with another human being.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    My stance on politics can be described by the lyrics from the Korn song "Politics"

Love that song!
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Me too.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

We can always share! I'm a pretty sharing person, so I wouldn't mind. You down for that?

I'm down! I like his gray hair *swoon* :love:
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I enjoy politics when I'm discussing it with someone intelligent, with a moderated and informed view, and who is capable of understanding opposing viewpoints. By any measure running a country is a complex business, and understanding it isn't as easy as most would like to believe.

So much truth in this statement.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

I'm down! I like his gray hair *swoon* :love:

Hell yes! I like his... EVERYTHING! He's just so perfect! :heart:
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options
    I enjoy politics when I'm discussing it with someone intelligent, with a moderated and informed view, and who is capable of understanding opposing viewpoints. By any measure running a country is a complex business, and understanding it isn't as easy as most would like to believe.

I agree with this too! I'll gladly discuss politics with people who don't agree with me (mostly because I'm a grown adult and I understand that not everybody will) but only if they actually know what's going on. I don't like the people who are just really rude and disrespectful to other views (even those that I disagree with) and I don't like the ones who can come up with a conspiracy for ANYTHING!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. George Orwell

Man is by nature a political animal.
    Aristotle

"The Democrats are the party of government activism, the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then get elected and prove it." —P.J. O'Rourke, Parliament of *kitten*

Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills? Khalil Gibran

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." —Groucho Marx

The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government.
    George Washington

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Most of the energy of political work is devoted to correcting the effects of mismanagement of government.
    Milton Friedman

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
    Plato

There is no act of treachery or meanness of which a political party is not capable; for in politics there is no honour.
    Benjamin Disraeli

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.
    - Autobiography of Mark Twain
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind. George Orwell

Aristotle

"The Democrats are the party of government activism, the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then get elected and prove it." —P.J. O'Rourke, Parliament of *kitten*

Where is the justice of political power if it executes the murderer and jails the plunderer, and then itself marches upon neighboring lands, killing thousands and pillaging the very hills? Khalil Gibran

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." —Groucho Marx

The basis of our political system is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government.
    George Washington

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Most of the energy of political work is devoted to correcting the effects of mismanagement of government.
    Milton Friedman

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.
    Plato

There is no act of treachery or meanness of which a political party is not capable; for in politics there is no honour.
    Benjamin Disraeli

In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.

Haha, I approve of all of these quotes. :smile:
  • Ramberta
    Options

I agree with this too! I'll gladly discuss politics with people who don't agree with me (mostly because I'm a grown adult and I understand that not everybody will) but only if they actually know what's going on. I don't like the people who are just really rude and disrespectful to other views (even those that I disagree with) and I don't like the ones who can come up with a conspiracy for ANYTHING!

This this this. Though, unfortunately, my Poly Sci teacher has now planted the seed of conspiracy in my brain about the Boston bombing, saying that it could possibly be a diversion attracting national attention away from the negotiations with North Korea... I'm not saying I buy into it, but the seed is there and now I can't get it to go away. :-/ lol
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am really impressed with the control everyone is having on this thread. I wasn't going to venture onto here because of the touchy subject, but am relieved I did. One was saying about facebook and how hard it is to read the vile things posted. Me too. :( I am a Republicrat myself...dont fit into either party and am frustrated about how much money and time is wasted. I wouldnt run my household like that. What credentials should the incoming President have? Shouldnt she/he have a degree in finance management in order to make up a budget? What about being the leader of our country? Shouldn't he or she have served in the military? Anyone who can read a teleprompter can be President these days or so it seems...
  • Ramberta
    Options
    ...If marriage isn't a religious institution then why are so many marriages performed by clergy? Marriage is a sacrament of the Roman Catholic church, which was established approximately 1300 years before our country...

Marriage is a social contract. It tends to share associations and customs with whatever religion is celebrated in a given area. It's not a Catholic thing. There is no requirement for clergy to perform a "ceremony" of marriage. People ALL OVER the world for EONS have been entering into these contracts.

ETA: Marriage is an agreement between people (and may or may not include a god) with expectations regarding family, sharing of resources, rights and responsibilities, inheritance, sexual behavior, etc. Marriage contracts are not the same everywhere, and they weren't just suddenly invented a couple thousand years ago. My marriage contract happens to include God, but that's me. I'm not arrogant enough to think my way is the only way that exists on this earth. Just because some people may not believe in a god, doesn't mean they aren't capable of forming an exclusive marriage bond with another human being.

Hear hear!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Aristotle

George Washington

Mark Twain

Milton Friedman

Plato

Benjamin Disraeli

fave
  • LeeshLove
    LeeshLove Posts: 197
    Options
    I don't discriminate, I hate both parties equally! I don't care if you're democrat or republican I think the moron's up on Capitol Hill just need to get their s*** together!

side note: I'm not saying I actually hate anybody in particular, or that I would discriminate against people... I just don't like what's happening right now, and I think both parties are in the wrong!
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Back to the OP's observation, the bumper sticker crudely expresses what I have seen, is that a portion of those that call themselves liberal, have no allegiance to the US. Criticizing is great, but these people simply don't like the US.

:-/ Since when is wishing for government reform and being dissatisfied with the current state of affairs "having no allegiance to the U.S."? I love my country, I really do. I just wish that more people in power would act like they do, instead of wasting what little money I make on sessions that accomplish literally nothing...

I am a registered Democrat but I did not vote for Obama. I don't have anything against him personally, but I don't want to feed into the 2-party system. For this next election cycle I will be supporting a third party candidate and fighting to get them the media coverage they deserve (but are often denied). Will they win? Almost assuredly not. But people in the U.S. need to realize that the reason there are "only" two choices is because... well... they keep voting for them!!
This discussion has been closed.