What do you do when your fat but underweight??!

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ...Jesus...

Relax. It's way too early to be calling in reinforcements... :smooched:
    I'm sure there's nothing wrong with middle-aged men discussing a teenager's mental health on a public forum.... Absolutely not. Oh no.

I don't think anyone is trying to harm this girl. We're all trying to help. :heart:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Does the change in your eating habits, being underweight and thinking your thighs are fat triggering old habits from bulimia?

What the...?

What is with some of these (always the same) people on MFP diagnosing eating/mental health disorders at every other person that posts a new topic. Stop it. Last time I checked it's myfitnesspal not myfitnessamateurpsychiatrist . For heaven's sake.

Based on her profile, it was a legitimate question. Not everyone needs you to protect them. When someone has recently recovered from an eating disorder, and they are asking about "being fat but underweight", inspiring them to do a self assessment of their mental state is not uncalled for.

You may not realise how many members of this site are suffering/have suffered from eating disorders. There are lots, and they are usually young women. The question was to help - not to attack.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    If that's you in your pic, I think you may have body dysmorphic disorder, because your thighs are not fat - AT ALL. Agree with other posters who emphasize strength training as a focus. I think you will like the results. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Another one! Are you qualified to be making diagnoses regarding another person's mental health? I think not. Jesus.

Are you qualified to tell other people that they are not qualified?

My apologies. No I'm not qualified. Go ahead and get stuck in. Why, it's your responsibility to!

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with middle-aged men discussing a teenager's mental health on a public forum.... Absolutely not. Oh no.

You're kind of abrasive. And kind of missing the (very important) point that was being made.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    If that's you in your pic, I think you may have body dysmorphic disorder, because your thighs are not fat - AT ALL. Agree with other posters who emphasize strength training as a focus. I think you will like the results. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Another one! Are you qualified to be making diagnoses regarding another person's mental health? I think not. Jesus.

My apologies. No I'm not qualified. Go ahead and get stuck in. Why, it's your responsibility to!

Well, I'm not really middle aged. And she is an adult. You believing that it is creepy is your issue, no one else's.

Also, this forum largely lacks dieticians, physiologists, OBGYNs, trainers, relationship therapists, etc, yet opinions are given all of the time. So really, what is your deal?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member

What is wrong with you?

I really don't know. Maybe I should ask some people who never finished high school to give me a diagnosis....

I think it is pretty safe to say that as an adult site, most of the people here have graduated high school.

Please stop derailing.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    All of you shut the hell up right now and stop derailing this thread with your bickering. Please.

This girl has a BMI under 18 and her thighs are very slim and she thinks they're huge and jelly-like and is obsessively trying to whittle them down to nothing. You don't need to be a shrink to see that this fits the criteria for body dysmorphia. No one here is giving a professional diagnosis.

If your friend tells you he wants to kill himself, do you need to be a psychiatrist to suggest to him that he might have depression? *eyeroll*
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member

What is wrong with you?

I really don't know. Maybe I should ask some people who never finished high school to give me a diagnosis....

I take it back - you're very abrasive. Also, derailing the thread and attacking other users. Alsoplus, reported.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

What is wrong with you?

I just want to say, that it is possible to hold an adult conversation in which parties may not agree, without resorting to insults. I hope that you can figure out what is wrong so that you can be happier with yourself :flowerforyou:
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    All of you shut the hell up right now and stop derailing this thread with your bickering. Please.

This girl has a BMI under 18 and her thighs are very slim and she thinks they're huge and jelly-like and is obsessively trying to whittle them down to nothing. You don't need to be a shrink to see that this fits the criteria for body dysmorphia. No one here is giving a professional diagnosis.

If your friend tells you he wants to kill himself, do you need to be a psychiatrist to suggest to him that he might have depression? *eyeroll*

Ah... the voice of reason. And not before time.
  • Contrarian
    Does the change in your eating habits, being underweight and thinking your thighs are fat triggering old habits from bulimia?

What the...?

What is with some of these (always the same) people on MFP diagnosing eating/mental health disorders at every other person that posts a new topic. Stop it. Last time I checked it's myfitnesspal not myfitnessamateurpsychiatrist . For heaven's sake.

Based on her profile, it was a legitimate question. Not everyone needs you to protect them. When someone has recently recovered from an eating disorder, and they are asking about "being fat but underweight", inspiring them to do a self assessment of their mental state is not uncalled for.

You may not realise how many members of this site are suffering/have suffered from eating disorders. There are lots, and they are usually young women. The question was to help - not to attack.

I would urge you to do a self-assessment of your 'snark' levels. Let me know how you go on! :-)

Whoa. There was no snark in that post. Please read it again, in a kinder voice.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Op: Is your mother pear-shapped? Mine is. I had to accept the fact that I am naturally shapped this way. So even as I continue to build lean muscle and improve my body composition, my thighs, glutes, and hips will always be shapped that way. But that's okay. I've noticed that men (in my experience) tend to like women with some curves. Especially booty curves! So love your body, but continue to treat yourself right by lifting weights. Weight lifting is great for your body as it strengthens your muscles and encourages your bones/joints to become more dense! <-- That is why i talk calcium and lift heavy stuff, for my bones! Good luck to you!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

That is the cutest outfit ever, where did you get it?
  • Contrarian

But...she is agreeing with the people who were concerned about her. The people you got aggressive with. She's right, but you just completely flipped your opinion.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    That is the cutest outfit ever, where did you get it?
    Party City, LOL. Thanks :-)
  • jenilla1

But...she is agreeing with the people who were concerned about her. The people you got aggressive with. She's right, but you just completely flipped your opinion.

YES!!! :laugh: This confused the hell out of me.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member

goodness. personal attacks.
    reported. :flowerforyou:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member

Apparently.

Is the OP even around anymore to help? This thread is four months old and she hasn't made a post since May...
  • Contrarian
    Anyway, OP, as others have said, you do not need to lose weight. If you are not happy with your body composition, try incorporating some lifting into your routine. Please make sure you fuel your workouts with a decent amount of calories.

You're really pretty and I hope you are able to see that, soon.
  • jenilla1

Apparently.

Is the OP even around anymore to help? This thread is four months old and she hasn't made a post since May...

Oh crap. So all this drama was for nothing. We're not even helping someone. I'm out. :frown:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Apparently.

Oh crap. So all this drama was for nothing. We're not even helping someone. I'm out. :frown:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker: