What do you do when your fat but underweight??!

Replies

• green_owl
    green_owl Posts: 62 Member
    Paleo is great! but don't cut out dairy if you're underweight. for the thighs do some heavy squatting instead of runing.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    You have a picture up, and you do not have fat thighs, they are quite slim. Case closed.

But for those of you coming into this thread wondering what to do in the situation where you are underweight but squishier then your heavier counterparts, these are the steps:

1) Pick up a heavy lifting routine. Heavy lifting means lifting things that are about 85% of your heaviest rep, for about 5 reps.
    2) pick up a calorie surplus. Slowly put on weight. You're underweight, and you're higher fat then you want to be. The goal here is to put on muscle mass, so when you do a cut, instead of the previous fat you had at your weight, there will be a firmness where there wasn't.
    3) Stay there until you're about 10lbs or so into the healthy weight range.
    4) Do a cut. Slowly lose weight. If you take before and after pictures, you'll notice that if you compare pictures at the same weight, you will be significantly slimmer and firmer. Same weight:
    untitled.JPG
    photo.jpg
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Slow bulk and then a slow cut when your happy with the amount of muscle you put back on.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    I lost an inch and a half from my thighs this summer on the Bedrest Thigh Reduction Protocol!

Here are the directions:
    1) get serious injury. Foot injuries are preferable, but really it could be anything affecting the legs.

2) get placed on bedrest (you will need a doctor's permission for this)

3) Rest daily, 23-24 hours, without fail. I tried 7 weeks, you can go longer if you want.

4) Atrophy!

Seriously though,my thighs have never looked worse. Can't wait to get back in the gym and hit that squat rack.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,599 Member
    Short answer: Make an appointment with a professional dietitian who is actually qualified to help you as being underweight has very real health risks. Taking advice from the internet isn't always the best idea.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Stop listening to everyone else. You know what you like, and what you are doing. You loved paleo, so eat paleo. You loved lifting, so lift. make YOURSELF happy, not everyone else.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    lift weights.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Eat a moderate surplus and do some high volume workouts to add some muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Does the change in your eating habits, being underweight and thinking your thighs are fat triggering old habits from bulimia?

What the...?

From OP's profile. She used to be bullemic.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    If that's you in your pic, I think you may have body dysmorphic disorder, because your thighs are not fat - AT ALL. They probably just need some firming if anything. Agree with other posters who emphasize strength training and clean eating as a focus. I think you will like the results. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Does the change in your eating habits, being underweight and thinking your thighs are fat triggering old habits from bulimia?

What the...?

What is with some of these (always the same) people on MFP diagnosing eating/mental health disorders at every other person that posts a new topic. Stop it. Last time I checked it's myfitnesspal not myfitnessamateurpsychiatrist . For heaven's sake.

Read her profile please.

xoxo
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    If that's you in your pic, I think you may have body dysmorphic disorder, because your thighs are not fat - AT ALL. Agree with other posters who emphasize strength training as a focus. I think you will like the results. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Another one! Are you qualified to be making diagnoses regarding another person's mental health? I think not. Jesus.
  • whierd
    If that's you in your pic, I think you may have body dysmorphic disorder, because your thighs are not fat - AT ALL. Agree with other posters who emphasize strength training as a focus. I think you will like the results. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Another one! Are you qualified to be making diagnoses regarding another person's mental health? I think not. Jesus.

Are you qualified to tell other people that they are not qualified?
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member

Leave Jesus out of this. They were not diagnosing..just giving their opinion. Keywords you may have missed "I think".
  • PikaKnight

What the...?

What is with some of these (always the same) people on MFP diagnosing eating/mental health disorders at every other person that posts a new topic. Stop it. Last time I checked it's myfitnesspal not myfitnessamateurpsychiatrist . For heaven's sake.

Read her profile before you go spouting nonsense, please.

xoxo

And there are people that will jump in and escalate a rather laid back thread. Hmmmm....
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Lift heavy weights and talk to a therapist about body dysmorphia. That's what I would do.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    OP, you are too thin and your thighs are not fat. I'm looking at your picture. I think you might have body dysmorphic disorder. Your thighs are quite thin. Stop losing weight immediately.
  • PikaKnight

My apologies. No I'm not qualified. Go ahead and get stuck in. Why, it's your responsibility to!

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with middle-aged men discussing a teenager's mental health on a public forum.... Absolutely not. Oh no.

As far as I know, only adults should be on this forum. So please stop hijacking the thread. No one is attacking the OP. We are trying to help her by giving her opinions and our advice. If you read her profile, she suffered from bullemia and looking at her pictures, there is a high chance she could suffer from Body Dysmorphia.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member

My apologies. No I'm not qualified. Go ahead and get stuck in. Why, it's your responsibility to!

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with middle-aged men discussing a teenager's mental health on a public forum.... Absolutely not. Oh no.

What is wrong with you?
  • whierd

What the...?

Read her profile before you go spouting nonsense, please.

xoxo

And there are people that will jump in and escalate a rather laid back thread. Hmmmm....

Hi Joy!