Dogs dogs dogs + fitness

Options
Who out there has a dog that helps them keep fit? How much do you walk/run with them every day?

I have 2 small mutts. We walk at least 3 miles every day. They get me out of the house and moving every day, rain or shine, and I am so much healthier and happier because of it.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I took the family dog to obedience school, but he bugs out too much, and wants to smell all the bushes and stuff...I still take him "walking" but basically he is out of control the whole time we are out. I have to hold the leash really tightly, and close to my knees for him to have some semblance of following my steps.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I have two English springer spaniels, who live on a farm with several acres of fenced yard. Both are now old dogs and frankly I'm in better shape than either of them. They do like to hang out in the barn sniffing around for hoof parings while I clean stalls, but I doubt either could make it on a two mile walk.
  • TheLizBerry
    Options
    My two mini aussies practically pull me on the leash as we walk (especially up hills). I love my dogs and they always give me the motivation to take them around the block after my workout.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    my two pooches got tosed out of dog training :(
    I cant walk them together so I get 2 km a day x2 lol they each get a walk
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I took the family dog to obedience school, but he bugs out too much, and wants to smell all the bushes and stuff...I still take him "walking" but basically he is out of control the whole time we are out. I have to hold the leash really tightly, and close to my knees for him to have some semblance of following my steps.

Have you tried the Gentle Leader harness? Not the muzzle thing, but the harness. Some of my friends have had great success with it.

My dogs are pretty darn good on leashes. Unless there is a cat or a squirrel involved, and then they strangle themselves running in that direction. Sometimes other dogs really upset them. Working with highly reactive dogs is tough, but walking is so important to me that I make it work.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs; a border collie and a German shepherd. Keeping them in shape, trained and happy is a big job. The border is a cadaver dog and the German shepherd is in training for Search and Rescue. Field training requirements are about 4 hours each, that can burn a lot of calories.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    my lab/boxer mix go on a walk about every day during the week. Anywhere from 1 to 3 miles. We did 5k on Saturday in 55 minutes and 1 mile in about 20 tonight... he keeps me motivated to get him out there because a tired dog is a happy dog!!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Have you tried the Gentle Leader harness? Not the muzzle thing, but the harness. Some of my friends have had great success with it.

My dogs are pretty darn good on leashes. Unless there is a cat or a squirrel involved, and then they strangle themselves running in that direction. Sometimes other dogs really upset them. Working with highly reactive dogs is tough, but walking is so important to me that I make it work.

I tried the Easy Walk (chest) harness and my dog does better with the Gentle Leader (face halter) harness. It's not a muzzle, just put slight pressure on the face to turn the dog's back to you to get them to slow down... I highly recommend it for a dog who struggles to focus or wants to pull on a walk.
  • kerricus
    Options
    I have 2 dogs; a border collie and a German shepherd. Keeping them in shape, trained and happy is a big job. The border is a cadaver dog and the German shepherd is in training for Search and Rescue. Field training requirements are about 4 hours each, that can burn a lot of calories.

So cool that you have dogs that can do that. I don't think my dogs are cut out for anything more than kisses and snuggles. In the future, I plan to train them to be therapy dogs.
  • k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    When I looked teach obedience training, I recommend "being a tree". You do not move until the dog gives you slack in the leash. This does not burn many calories, but it works. Other wise using a pinch collar also works well and is less damaging to the dog than choke collars. More questions, write me I am happy to help.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a Doberman who just tuned 1 yesterday. I have to walk him a LOT!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You called?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Nothing I love more than a working dog :heart:

My older shepherd failed his Police training, my younger one is currently working (not with me)

Mostly though, I keep them in shape not the other way around. My lab isn't keen on running, my older one is too old for longer runs (although he would go as far as I asked workout complaint). The working one gets his own exercise.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is my sassy pug Eli. He's a runner :) and he likes to take me with him on jogs around our neighborhood. He also enjoys lap swimming, and hiking!

efrn0x.jpg
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My lab mix gets me out of the house all the time. She loves walks and a little running. We have to work back up to running now that it's getting warm again.
  • kerricus
    Options
    This is my sassy pug Eli. He's a runner :) and he likes to take me with him on jogs around our neighborhood. He also enjoys lap swimming, and hiking!

Hooray for a fit pug! That's practically unheard of.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My dog has definitely gotten me more active. He's not my running buddy though. He's got a pretty serious heart condition for a young dog (dialated cardiomyopathy at 2 years old) which impacts his stamina. He tried to following me on a run and I thought I was going to have to carry him back and he's 70lbs.

We take walks and have logs of short play time.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have 300lbs of stupid that keeps me moving.

I walk two of them most days, and run with the third one as he needs more of a energy burn. He is the best running partner except he shoulder checks me (in my shoulder) as he jumps with excitement when we start running, he looks like a furry helium ballon he's in the air so much. , and barks at me when I slow down.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I love to take my two dogs aka, muttwillies out most days for either a walk or job. It's our de-stress time. If I don't take them out enough, they get that crazy look in their eyes and they're not very kind to their toys! It's not a pretty sight.:noway:
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Hooray for a fit pug! That's practically unheard of.

Right!? No one told him that he's supposed to be a couch potato! He does still adore food though!