Dogs dogs dogs + fitness

Options

Replies

• BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    We have two almost 7 and a half year old sheppard/labs, they are my running partners.....they know that we go for a run in the morning so if I do not want to get out of bed they stand over me whinning till I get moving. They sometimes seem like they are trying to kill me with abrupt stops in front or the one weirdo who has to go as far around the street grates as she can, lol, they keep me on my toes.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Any ideas of good breeds that are 30lbs or less for running partners? The complexes I am looking at only allows 30 lbs or less, and I am not a big fan of having tiny dogs. They are adorable, but i love my big dogs.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I took the family dog to obedience school, but he bugs out too much, and wants to smell all the bushes and stuff...I still take him "walking" but basically he is out of control the whole time we are out. I have to hold the leash really tightly, and close to my knees for him to have some semblance of following my steps.

Take a handful of treats with you on your walks. When he is doing well treat him. When he gets out of control stop him, make him sit then once he is calm and ready to continue go on...only giving treats when he is within an acceptable range for you. I have a German Shepard and Lab...teaching them side was the hardest but it is very rewarding to be able to take them off lead and see them stay right next to you.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I really dont want to change the topic to a training debate but i have to throw out there - Dogs are not children. It does neither the dog or us any good when we view them as human.
    Nor is every dog the same. My lab does not need a correction, he is extremely reward motivated. My working like German Shepherd - not so much.

What is it with Labs and Shepards. My lab is a gentle soul the kind if I just growl a little he is right back with me. The sheppard...well she likes squirels! But she is a new addition. We rescued her and has only been with us a little over a month. But I agree with you about dogs are dogs and not human. My training methods look odd to many who see me but I believe in being the pack leader. So if that means I have to put them down by the scruff and growl and bark so be it. But they listen to me.

Ok...I tried to post pics but apparantly I don't know how.
    7280_10151427252184823_371886669_n.jpg
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I know they're not children. I'm trying to say why would you want to inflict discomfort and pain on them. With the CORRECT professional help, from a reward based trainer and lots of time, ALL dogs can be trained without resorting to pain.

I know this isn't a trai img thread but as an animal lover, I couldn't bear to see methods like these encouraged.
  • Hrl1993
    Hrl1993 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Any ideas of good breeds that are 30lbs or less for running partners? The complexes I am looking at only allows 30 lbs or less, and I am not a big fan of having tiny dogs. They are adorable, but i love my big dogs.

Sorry I'm quoting after so many days, but what about a border collie? I have one...she's old now (15) and has rickety joints and can't run, but when they are young they are FAST and highly energetic. Would make an excellent running partner!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have a border collie/Aussie mix. I have only had him a month, so running with him is a total mess until I get him trained better. However we do walk twice a day and go on a hike every weekend.
  • kendallsauntie
    kendallsauntie Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We have a cocker spaniel that is a great walking/running partner.
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Only get a border collie or other really active smart breed if you're already in the habit of running/walking/biking and generally being active! They are wonderful, crazy smart and loving dogs (at least my Koala is!) but when they don't get enough exercise, they will tear you apartment to shreds, with even the most strict training. I got my border collie from my sister in law after she realized this too late. The poor girl ended up living in a crate for nine months before she came to live with us. If you live in a cooler climate, Norwegian Elkhounds are perfect dogs for exercising! Although all that being said, my border collie is 35lb,and my Elkhound is 38lb, both my dogs are trim and on strict diets, so I don't think either of these puppies would work for you!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    <
    My dog Sprout. We walk about an hour a day and run a few times a week. He has only taken me out once, he jostled me from behind while I was sprinting. He just stood there looking around while I lay on the sidewalk like I had just decided to stop and lie down . . . I don't think he ever realized what he did but he hasn't done it again.

I used a gentle leader on him when I first got him and it did wonders for his leash manners, I would highly recommend them. He went from being a dog that was very unpleasant to walk to being a dog a child could have walked practically overnight. We also work a lot on the "look" command and getting him to focus on me. I do this often at random times and always when another dog is approaching or a squirrel or something catches his attention. Now he will automatically look to me for a treat when we see another dog approaching.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go running or walking, my dogs usually go with me, and that's about 4-5x per week. I sometimes will take them mountain biking, but only if it's a short ride or if time is not an issue so I can go nice and slow for them. If I don't exercise them on a regular basis, they go stir crazy by wrestling in the house and or by shredding their toys! Good dogs are tired dogs:laugh:

My friends dog is on the left and my two dogs are center and right...Luigi and Mollie
    80204b83-2d60-470c-a115-fc6ae783c811_zps69d5f0a5.jpg
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    <
    My dog Sprout. We walk about an hour a day and run a few times a week. He has only taken me out once, he jostled me from behind while I was sprinting. He just stood there looking around while I lay on the sidewalk like I had just decided to stop and lie down . . . I don't think he ever realized what he did but he hasn't done it again.

I used a gentle leader on him when I first got him and it did wonders for his leash manners, I would highly recommend them. He went from being a dog that was very unpleasant to walk to being a dog a child could have walked practically overnight. We also work a lot on the "look" command and getting him to focus on me. I do this often at random times and always when another dog is approaching or a squirrel or something catches his attention. Now he will automatically look to me for a treat when we see another dog approaching.

2nd on the gentle leader ! works really well on one of mine who can be reactive when he sees some certain dogs.
    Our former trainer taught us the 'look at that' command, so if we see another dog I will say " look at that", he looks at it calmly, back at me and gets treated for it. This has helped from going from over threshold when seeing another dog to giving it a fleeting glance then back at my eye contact for the beloved treat ! Bare in mind this works well with him, ( and I am going to keep on doing it) may not work so well with others, always get a good positive training trainer to help with issues.
    He also knows "watch me' as well as leave it and other things which all come in handy on walks.

Love my dogs !
  • Leonana
    Leonana Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a 40 pound chow/collie mix. We walk together 3-4 times a week. She's my walking buddy, and gets me outside in the fresh air. I think the fact that we share walking together has bonded me more to her. It's our time together!
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I walk my Toy (On the large side) poodle every other day for two hours at a time. Don't know how far I go but it gets further every week. She has Tons of energy that needs burning off.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have a young GSD she is like a loaded pistol! We have to either go on walky walks 1-2 hrs or dog park where I throw balls ect for at least ah hr. If it is too warm we wait until evening. Ikeep her well hydrated on walks. Nothing worse than a person on a walk guzzling water while dog is panting! Think people!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have a hound/lab mix- So, not only is he stubborn, he is also very energetic!
    We go running daily! He's such a huge motivator!
    He's a greater runner, always by my side, but sometimes he'll do the old "Oooh, what do I smell? Let me pee on it" and stop without warning. ---This of course makes me look like an idiot as I suddenly stop mid-run. :grumble:

The other day, we were running so fast that my pants fell down to my knees...um, awkward. I guess I should get smaller size pants?
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You know what... You totally got me thinking. I can't believe I never realized this until now... It was MY DOG who started it all. :bigsmile:

I have a black shepherd mix rescue who is now 4 years old. If it wasn't for him, I probably wouldn't have gotten my *kitten* off the couch in the first place. He got me up and outside for at least an hour everyday - rain, shine or snow, without fail. Even during some nasty *kitten* snowstorms... we still went out (up here in Canada, our winters aren't pretty). Walks lead to hikes, which lead to swimming, then to RUNNING :heart: . I really think I owe it to my pup (his name is Cuba) for getting the ball rolling. Because before him, I was never regularly active. Ever.

Now that he is recovering from ACL surgery, I have been running without him. It sucks. But it hasn't stopped me :) I cant wait to have him running with me again.

DOGS ARE AWESOME!!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Veterinarians always end up with the reject animals, so I ended up with a senior pomeranian heartworm-survivor, so..... yeah. Not so much with the running. He's 4 years post-recovery though and more energetic at 10 years old than he ever was before, so we're up to 2 mile walks now! He cooperated through about a 1/2 mile jog the other day but was totally worn out and sore the entire next day, so we won't be doing that again.

My pre-DVM days were in animal behavior research, and as far as training goes, EVERYTHING with a brain utilizes reward-based learning. Not everyone's preferred reward is food, though. You just have to figure out the reward that your dog wants the most, it might not be treats. It might be a toy or praise or the ability to keep walking. Corrective collars have a place if used absolutely correctly, but they aren't a replacement for good training. Think of training in terms of showing your dog what you DO want it to do, not just what you DON'T want it to do.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 1/2 year old Australian Shepherd. For a dog who's supposedly supposed to be full of energy, he sure is lazy. In fact, I'm sure I want to get exercise more than he does. Haha. I run with him 3 times a week and walk on alternate days. It sure makes exercising more enjoyable, that's for sure. :)
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I punish my Black & Tan Coonhound with lots of walks and hikes. Sure he didn't put weight on so why does he have to suffer, huh? Fortunately he loves both but with him going on seven years old I'm starting to see him slow down a little on the hot days.

8.jpg

I just realized I don't have recent pics online... Boomer the Coonhound is on the left, Cherokee the Bloodhound is on the right.