Dr. said no more carbs

Options
13»

Replies

• QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing your doc meant no sugar and refined carbs, not zero carbs, cause plenty of carbs are good for you, like lots of kinds of beans for example, or whole grains. I am living by South Beach. It encourages small amounts of healthy fats, like olive oil, or nuts. Also only lean meats.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask him what he meant. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to interpret your doctor's instructions is a bad idea.

This. People are recommending diets to try and we have no idea what your doctor's specific concerns or instructions are.
    . I wouldn't take advice from anyone who told me to cut a whole food group put of my diet. I eat everything and still lose weight... because I exercise regularly and I eat in moderation

The OP's doctor told her to cut out carbs because she has high blood sugar. She didn't specify whether she had insulin resistance, metabolic disease or type 2.

Folks are taking things too literally here.

In this instance, when a person has high blood sugars, they need to severely limit potatoes, rice, bread, yes, even whole grains beans & legumes. Or get used to the idea that with regularly high BG's, diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, kidney disease, cardiac disease, fatty liver, and possible thyroid disfunction is in their future.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor and ask him what he meant. Asking a bunch of strangers on the internet to interpret your doctor's instructions is a bad idea.

This. People are recommending diets to try and we have no idea what your doctor's specific concerns or instructions are.
    . I wouldn't take advice from anyone who told me to cut a whole food group put of my diet. I eat everything and still lose weight... because I exercise regularly and I eat in moderation

The OP's doctor told her to cut out carbs because she has high blood sugar. She didn't specify whether she had insulin resistance, metabolic disease or type 2.

Folks are taking things too literally here.

In this instance, when a person has high blood sugars, they need to severely limit potatoes, rice, bread, yes, even whole grains beans & legumes. Or get used to the idea that with regularly high BG's, diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, kidney disease, cardiac disease, fatty liver, and possible thyroid disfunction is in their future.

OP took it literally.
    The only answer here is to schedule a follow up appointment and discuss this in further detail with the doctor.
    Personally, I would ask for a referral to a dietician to assist me with the new diet that is suitable for whatever issue OP has.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Went to yearly check up..all good except for high sugar... Dr. Said to get my energy through protirn...is this the adkins diet?

Did your doc give you a sample diet to follow? Refer you to a dietician?