Why does pizza have such a bad reputation?

Options
I hear regularly about folks giving up pizza in an effort to eat healthier. Flyers plastered around the local college compare "high nutrient density foods" to "low nutrient density foods," with pizza consistently placed in the latter category. What's going on?

If you were to eat two slices of multi-grain bread, 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, an ounce of beef or chicken, and an ounce each of chopped tomato, onions, green peppers, and olives, would you consider that a "low nutrient density" meal? If yes, what qualifies as a "high nutrient density food" for comparison? If no, then what magical process associated with a pizza oven removes the nutrients?

I mean, sure, if you pile on double cheese, extra pepperoni and sausage, and eat an entire large pie, you'll be filling up on calories while missing some macros and micros, but there's nothing inherent in pizza that requires you either skip ALL the veggies or down a whole pie at one setting.

What do you think?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    homemade pizza =/= pizza you get from a local chain

You can make a nutrient dense pizza at home, whereas picking up a meat lovers pizza from pizza hut isn't exactly in your best interest.

Flyers and propaganda will do that with any food. Cheeseburgers get a bad reputation as well, when there are good options if you make them yourself.
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I imagine it's because most folks have takeaway pizza which is often greasy and not great for you, and it's glaringly obvious that a slab of dough topped with cheese and pepperoni with a stuffed crust isn't the best kind of dinner. Making your own pizza or having decent pizza is a different beast altogether. Also, lots of people are simply anti-bread and pizza is mostly bread. I do love pizza though.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    The thing is, the pizza I described in the first post is available essentially exactly as I listed it from three different delivery outfits within 2 miles of my house. It's not as if I'd need to make it at home in order to ensure the nutritional value was there; I'd just have to avoid obvious and well-known nutritional pitfalls that are not exclusive to pizza.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    You know, I never really thought about it! For me, its not the pizza, its the quantity. I went out and had a big slice of pizza a couple weeks ago...lost a lb that day. Problem comes when a slice becomes 2, 3, 4....

Good question though...I am going to watch this one for the answers.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The thing is, the pizza I described in the first post is available essentially exactly as I listed it from three different delivery outfits within 2 miles of my house. It's not as if I'd need to make it at home in order to ensure the nutritional value was there; I'd just have to avoid obvious and well-known nutritional pitfalls that are not exclusive to pizza.

Lots of places pour on extra oil
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    it has both grains and dairy, a recipe for obesity
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I do believe for most it's bc of not being able to control the quantity they consume. Most when starting out look to restrict things instead of learning moderation tips. Also some chains are very greasy and fattening but many don't know how to work around that.

Myself I have regular, forbidden to most, pizza once a week and homade whole wheat healthy or nutritionally dense pizza once a week and always have even when I was trying to lose. :)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

Lots of places pour on extra oil
    I've never seen that done without it being listed, which means you can ask to have it excluded. Also, what's so horrid about a tablespoon or so of olive oil, assuming you aren't mainlining it?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options
    There's nothing inherent to grains or dairy products causing obesity except excess of calories, in any reputable study that I've ever seen.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've always said that pizza is nutritious. I mean essentially it has the potential of having at least one ingredient in all the five food groups.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    There's nothing inherent to grains or dairy products causing obesity except excess of calories, in any reputable study that I've ever seen.

He knows that. He's being sarcastic.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    Options

I've seen folks on these boards make the same claims with perfect seriousness, and no sarcasm intended; I erred on the side of caution in my response.

If I misread his response as an attempt at humor, I apologize if it caused offense.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    For me it's not a great choice because it's hard for me to stop at 1 or 2 slices. So it's more of a quantity problem in my case.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Because people who actually are fat seem to eat a proportionally large quantity of pizza. Same with hamburgers, bacon, ice cream, etc.

These are very calorie-dense foods that make it very easy to consume excess calories.

None of these foods are inherently bad. If you can eat them while fitting them into a reasonable quantity of calories then there's nothing to worry about.
  • ac_boubou
    ac_boubou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think that homemade pizza is a good meal. I use to eat pizza sometimes. I put a LOT of veggies, some tuna or shrimps, or breast chicken. To give a good twist I tried a bit of pesto or goat cheese, fresh herbs...there's so much possibilty.

But I don't eat restaurant pizza, too salty, too greasy, I just don't like it.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i'm just guessing here but don't most pizzas use bleached flour for the dough? that crap is like cancer.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I am NOT giving up Pizza, even when trying to lose my most weight i still did not give it up. I ate LESS OF IT. I think people tend to over eat on pizza therefore it creates a bad rep for it, but it's not the pizzas fault!

two slices... walk away.
    it's simple.

Or make your own, mmmm, healthier decisions - yum!

Pizza will never be given up by me though.I love it.
    I admit howver the sodium intake is ridiculous. I have to drink mad amounts of water to flush it through.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    People give different foods a bad name BECAUSE THEY DONT KNOW WTF THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!
    ;D

Learning when to eat is just as important as what to eat.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I've seen folks on these boards make the same claims with perfect seriousness, and no sarcasm intended; I erred on the side of caution in my response.

If I misread his response as an attempt at humor, I apologize if it caused offense.

Oh no, you didn't offend anyone... I don't think. You wouldn't have known he was being sarcastic if you didn't know him. He does this a lot actually... it's a "When in Rome" mentality. I love Acg though. He cracks me up! And he eats delicious yummies!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Well refined grains and dairy are very easy to eat in large quantities. Obviously they're fine if you control your portions, but if you don't they lend themselves to overeating.