Why does pizza have such a bad reputation?

Options

Replies

• weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    personally, for me, i always overeat pizza. there's no such thing as "just eating one slice". it's like...the whole pizza or nothin haha. also, it has a ton of carbs. there are healthier alternatives, like "meatza" or a cauliflower base instead of flour. portabella pizza... mmm!
    I hear regularly about folks giving up pizza in an effort to eat healthier. Flyers plastered around the local college compare "high nutrient density foods" to "low nutrient density foods," with pizza consistently placed in the latter category. What's going on?

If you were to eat two slices of multi-grain bread, 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, an ounce of beef or chicken, and an ounce each of chopped tomato, onions, green peppers, and olives, would you consider that a "low nutrient density" meal? If yes, what qualifies as a "high nutrient density food" for comparison? If no, then what magical process associated with a pizza oven removes the nutrients?

I mean, sure, if you pile on double cheese, extra pepperoni and sausage, and eat an entire large pie, you'll be filling up on calories while missing some macros and micros, but there's nothing inherent in pizza that requires you either skip ALL the veggies or down a whole pie at one setting.

What do you think?
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    As far as those referring to chain restaurant pizza being Greasy.. Isn't that really from the pepperoni and sausage? So if you got a ham, veggies, pineapple it would not be greasy right? So then it would be good?

I find that I'm usually hungry shortly after eating 2 slices of pizza :sad:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OP it's simple. because the pizza they're referring to when they say low nutritional content is not made from whole wheat dough or ANY high quality ingredients.

when people refer to pizza as a "bad" food, they're talking about typical store bought, refined white flour crust, HFCS sauce, and heavily processed cheese product - which is nutritionally inferior to the pizza you described.

a pizza can be incredibly healthy or incredibly unhealthy depending on how it's made and from what ingredients.

lol whole wheat dough

agreed. i don't eat it myself. it is, however, preferable to enriched fortified white flour doughs.

lol yourself.

Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed

go troll somewhere else

I don't understand why when someone challenges your logic, you assume that they are trolling.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    OP it's simple. because the pizza they're referring to when they say low nutritional content is not made from whole wheat dough or ANY high quality ingredients.

when people refer to pizza as a "bad" food, they're talking about typical store bought, refined white flour crust, HFCS sauce, and heavily processed cheese product - which is nutritionally inferior to the pizza you described.

a pizza can be incredibly healthy or incredibly unhealthy depending on how it's made and from what ingredients.

lol whole wheat dough

agreed. i don't eat it myself. it is, however, preferable to enriched fortified white flour doughs.

lol yourself.

Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed

go troll somewhere else

I don't understand why when someone challenges your logic, you assume that they are trolling.

well first, what he said is not true, but secondly because he understands full well that i don't personally eat whole wheat products, but simply mentioned it because that's more accessible for a larger audience. he's targeting me specifically instead of involving himself in the thread with regard to the OP, which is his MO

non fortified, non-enriched, natural whole grain breads are absolutely different in terms of the nutrients absorbed and how they're metabolized in your body vs wonderbread

but please, continue contributing in such a helpful manner. :)

Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/79/3/418.full
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

lol whole wheat dough

lol yourself.

go troll somewhere else

well first, what he said is not true, but secondly because he understands full well that i don't personally eat whole wheat products, but simply mentioned it because that's more accessible for a larger audience. he's targeting me specifically instead of involving himself in the thread with regard to the OP, which is his MO

non fortified, non-enriched, natural whole grain breads are absolutely different in terms of the nutrients absorbed and how they're metabolized in your body vs wonderbread

Phytic acid added to white-wheat bread inhibits fractional apparent magnesium absorption in humans

Wonder bread? Where are you still able to get Wonder bread?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

lol whole wheat dough

lol yourself.

go troll somewhere else

i've got a really really easy solution for that.

and... dude... first you said: "Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed "

now you're saying it's ... just... one mineral.

which is it?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

lol whole wheat dough

lol yourself.

go troll somewhere else

and... dude... first you said: "Not really as the nutritional differences between the two are pretty insignificant, in terms of vitamins and minerals absorbed "

which is it?

Well that is evidence that whole wheat isn't automatically better in every way than white, isn't it?
  • Acg67
    Options

lol whole wheat dough

lol yourself.

go troll somewhere else

which is it?

Did you even read it, see references 4-10
  • CoachReddy
    Options

which is it?

no of course I didn't read it. aint nobody got time for that. can you explain to me what white-wheat means?

also, as I alluded to, don't buy wheat bread with phytic acid and you're good. :)

not all wheat bread is created equal. obviously. i don't even think wheat is good for us period so I'm not sure why you're picking this fight with me to get me to defend something I don't even eat. lol
  • jonnythan
    Options
    no of course I didn't read it.

Indeed.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    also way to derail the guy's thread. per usual.

why don't you start a white bread vs wheat bread thread if you really wanna go nuts about this. i'm not particularly interested.
  • jonnythan
    Options

why don't you start a white bread vs wheat bread thread if you really wanna go nuts about this. i'm not particularly interested.

For someone "not particularly interested" you made a pretty strong statement about it.
  • Acg67
    Options

which is it?

no of course I didn't read it. aint nobody got time for that. can you explain to me what white-wheat means?

also, as I alluded to, don't buy wheat bread with phytic acid and you're good. :)

not all wheat bread is created equal. obviously. i don't even think wheat is good for us period so I'm not sure why you're picking this fight with me to get me to defend something I don't even eat. lol

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

His point was that the nutritional differences between homemade pizza and restaurant pizza are insignificant. Pizza cannot be pizza without the basic ingredients. As you have clarified your standpoint in previous threads, your concern is additives, which is fine for you, but it is completely ignorant to say that the nutritional value of a restaurant pizza has been changed because of additives. Instead, it has become pizza+, which in your opinion makes it less healthy, but it is only an opinion and we are all entitled to them, including Acg. Expressing his opinion does not make him anymore of a troll than you are.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
    ― Benjamin Franklin

:heart: :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    All right, that's it...everyone to your rooms...cauliflower "pizza crust" it is. Sorry you made me go there, but I promise you this hurts me more than it hurts you....:drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

His point was that the nutritional differences between homemade pizza and restaurant pizza are insignificant. Pizza cannot be pizza without the basic ingredients. As you have clarified your standpoint in previous threads, your concern is additives, which is fine for you, but it is completely ignorant to say that the nutritional value of a restaurant pizza has been changed because of additives. Instead, it has become pizza+, which in your opinion makes it less healthy, but it is only an opinion and we are all entitled to them, including Acg. Expressing his opinion does not make him anymore of a troll than you are.

this is all complete BS
  • jonnythan
    Options

this is all complete BS

It's only "BS" because of your irrational belief that small amounts of additives that have no detrimental effect, and certain types of processing, destroy the nutritional content of foods. You have no scientific or rational basis for these opinions, instead simply claiming that people who eat them will get what's coming to them in the end, in the form of health problems late in life.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    All right, that's it...everyone to your rooms...cauliflower "pizza crust" it is. Sorry you made me go there, but I promise you this hurts me more than it hurts you....:drinker:
    But Dad! *whine*
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I foresee an all male, three member daisy chain happening in the near future.