Replies

• Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do protein bars. They are in the health food section, and lots of time at the check out counters. They do have fats in them, but they are high in protein--that is what I really need. My sugar drops if I don"t get enough protein. I just took a glucose tablet, had two pieces of cheese and had a banana. A piece of fruit with your protein bar is about 230 - 250 calories. They are good and fill me up. I have to take food to work also, only get 30 min. lunch, there is a food court, but food is not good and is very fattening. So my daily routein is: either smoothies (I make them the night before), have one for breakfast and take one for lunch. If I don't have time to make the smoothies, I take protein bars. Morning break: 1 or 2 pieces of cheese and a banana, lunch, smoothie or bar, carrots, fruit, afternoon break: fruit. Gets a little boring, but is quick and easy to grab. Good Luck, Joni:flowerforyou:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Find a dressing-free salad with no pasta/ potatoes but including any or all of eggs/chicken/tuna/salmon
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with fruit
    cottage cheese - sweet or savory
    cheeses
    protien shakes and fruit or veggies
    veggies in humus
    pretty much anything, really.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Not much help for right now, but I bring in my lunch 4 days a week, otherwise I end up at Subway.

I make salads, 2 days at a time, using 2 x 1.5L tupperwears.

For 2 days, theres a full lettuce, half a cucumber, 3 tomatoes, some spring onion, radish, celery, beetroot, whatever else I have - general salad stuff, and then for protein I throw in 2-300g cooked chicken/turkey/ham and 60g feta or other cheese (split into 2).

I box it up dry, and throw on a low fat dressing when I am about to eat it. Mine usually come up at 364 cals, C29 F13 P32 per serving, and I cant always eat it all. Sometimes I put boiled egg in instead of cheese or meat.

(take out the tomatoes and beetroot to make it about 13g less of carbs per serving)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Do you eat grains? There is a high protein pita at Superstore/Loblaws that has tons of fibre. It's 5g net carbs per serving, stuff it with tuna salad and a handful of spinach/romaine and it's a golden lunch!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with 1 tbsp natural crunchy peanut butter and 1 tbsp jelly
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I buy the "living lettuce" at the store (Krogers and Heb carry for those in parts of the US) wrap up tuna or chicken with tsp of olive oil, tsp of mayo and a tsp of plain yogurt, tsp of cranberries (yes there is carb, but, all and all lo carb) and some onions , garlic and pepper, quick and easy. Sometimes I will add tahini, lemon, bits of apple, pineapple etc.... Insofar as fridge at work. If you dont have one, Ive seen people use those small coolers or insulated bags and they work good for the day.
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The chickpeas are complex carbs on low glycemic.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In what universe are chickpeas low in carbs and high in protein? they have twice as many grams of carbs as protein.

In the universe of Glycemic Index where all carbs are not evil.

The same for Black Beans

tumblr_m931h1rpEL1qaybv9o1_250.gif
  • mylifemadelite
    Options
    I love sandwiches, but try to eat moderate carb. This week I am having a sandwich thin (I prefer Orowheat) and low sodium good quality ham. I take half a medium avocado and smother it on both sides instead of using condiments. For breakfast I had non-fat greek yogurt with defrosted wild organic blueberries and nitrite free chicken breakfast sausage. I also like to cook stirfrys on the weekend or meatloaf and add lentils.
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    In what universe are chickpeas low in carbs and high in protein? they have twice as many grams of carbs as protein.

The same for Black Beans

You said evil. I didn't say evil. I pointed out there is a ratio. The suggestion is directly opposite to what the OP requested.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luvlyco
    luvlyco Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chicken sausage and low cal sara lee bread. It's what's for lunch. Slap on some mustard and ready to go. Super cheap too!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Get yourself some turkey chili!!! Check the sodium though.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is romaine, a packet of salmon, 1/2 avocado and bean sprouts. I use Ken's restaurant table side ceasar dressing. It's so delicious.

I also frequently eat tacos made with real corn tortillas, steak, avocado, tomatoes and plain Greek yogurt. Not the lowest carb option, but you can easily add or subtract ingredients to get carbs lower. Very filling and yummy.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    6 - 8 cherry tomatoes, 1 or 2 sticks of string cheese (cut into small chunks. You could also use Feta), 1 TBS olive oil (or less, depends on your taste), a TBS of capers and some italian seasonings (garlic, a pinch of salt, some basil. You can do without these and it's still good). Low in carb, high in good fats and protein. You can even add some Tyson ready made grilled chicken breast chunks. Throw them in the micro for 1 - 2 min and they are ready to go.
  • jmrock3
    Options
    I marinade my chicken on Sundays, precook and pre portion my meals for the week. Cut up some celery and green peppers and have with some prepmade hummus. It takes effort to prepare everything, but the prepackaged lunch meats have so many nitrates and soduim. I mix up my marinades for some variety :) hope that helps someone...
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

The same for Black Beans

Though they are low on the glycemic index that does not make them low carb. They are two different things. I can't eat either because they still cause an insulin response though granted much smaller than say some watermelon or something. I am not saying the OP is trying to avoid an insulin response but I did want to clarify that they are NOT the same.